'Like A Prayer' Appreciation Ed. 2015

loowee

Yep, just like every era of Madonna's this one had its uniqueness, and where she really started pushing boundaries and doing her own thing artistically without giving a fuck what people thought

Guest Pud Whacker

Did she sing any of the LAP songs live as part of promotion when the album was released?

Was there any promotion at all?

zero. this was the 80's. madonna didnt promote anything off True Blue or Like a Prayer - other than videos. we got Express Yourself at MTV but the song had already been a hit. i always thought of it as testing the waters for Blond Ambition.

people have no idea how spoiled they are today.

zero. this was the 80's. madonna didnt promote anything off True Blue or Like a Prayer - other than videos. we got Express Yourself at MTV but the song had already been a hit. i always thought of it as testing the waters for Blond Ambition.

people have no idea how spoiled they are today.

I especially love the sample from Everybody on that version.

Guest Pud Whacker

I especially love the sample from Everybody on that version.

of course! and because of the landscape in in 88/89 i SWEAR, i was absolutely sure Everybody was going to reemerge...

and it came in that. i thought it would have been the entire song.

Guest Pud Whacker

I think it's my favorite album. And I love the photoshoots >>

I only wish she'd have made much more promo.

She will have a lot of success again when she release a LAP-ROL-MUSIC-type album.

i agree. in fact, i know it. the world was absolutely ready for a madonna renaissance this time out, some things just didnt add up.

Guest bluejean

i agree. in fact, i know it. the world was absolutely ready for a madonna renaissance this time out, some things just didnt add up.

I think they were ready for that when MDNA came out. My impression is the general public overall are really over Madonna now.

Not that I really care because I love her as much as i ever have. I was thinking today how dull watching any other pop star being interviewed is. There really is noone more interesting or inspiring as far as pop music goes.

And nothing against the Katy Perry's or Rihanna's of the world but these people really do rely on gimmicks rather than sheer stage presence. I mean they have none.

Madonna oozes super stardom. She's the epitome of charisma.

Guest bluejean

And yes, Like a Prayer is her first true masterpiece. What an amazing piece of work. The song Like a Prayer should be included in a time capsule of the greatest achievements of the human race and sent out into space for alien's to hear.

Guest Pud Whacker

I think they were ready for that when MDNA came out. My impression is the general public overall are really over Madonna now.

Not that I really care because I love her as much as i ever have. I was thinking today how dull watching any other pop star being interviewed is. There really is noone more interesting or inspiring as far as pop music goes.

And nothing against the Katy Perry's or Rihanna's of the world but these people really do rely on gimmicks rather than sheer stage presence. I mean they have none.

Madonna oozes super stardom. She's the epitome of charisma.

absolutely.

Every time there is a great appreciation thread, it ends up with criticism of latest Madonna work. The only things spoiling this latest era were the leaks and lack of AirPlay. Rebel Heart is my favourite album since Like a prayer.

Back on topic, Like a prayer was a magical time and the album, videos and image were all above and beyond what any other pop star can do.

Imagine if she'd gotten Superbowl 2015 instead of 2012. With a killer song like "LFL" and a kick ass album like "RH" coming on the heels of that mega-promotion, it would have been a huge album.

Imagine if she'd gotten Superbowl 2015 instead of 2012. With a killer song like "LFL" and a kick ass album like "RH" coming on the heels of that mega-promotion, it would have been a huge album.

Right, because that worked so well for Give me all your love and mdna:)

Guest Pud Whacker

i dont know if i agree with that. when i say a madonna renaissance - theres a lot more to it than mega promotion.

are you implying you dont like Give Me All Your Luvin?!!! i want to say LOUD AND CLEAR that I LOVE GIVE ME ALL YOUR LUVIN!!!

i think the public did, too - it was her last top 10 hit.

And yes, Like a Prayer is her first true masterpiece. What an amazing piece of work. The song Like a Prayer should be included in a time capsule of the greatest achievements of the human race and sent out into space for alien's to hear.

I agree. I would love to know if it was perceived a masterpiece back in its time.

Like a Prayer is one of the popsongs the world will alwyas remember as a true gem.

I do love the BAT and the MDNA version. The RIT is not bad aswell, and I wish that she sings it at RH too.

The moment, when LAP started at MDNA in Istanbul and everyone went wild I will never forget. I had pure goose pumps

Guest Pud Whacker

Like a Prayer is one of the popsongs the world will alwyas remember as a true gem.

I do love the BAT and the MDNA version. The RIT is not bad aswell, and I wish that she sings it at RH too.

The moment, when LAP started at MDNA in Istanbul and everyone went wild I will never forget. I had pure goose pumps

lets not forget the fabulous Sticky and Sweet version!!!

I agree. I would love to know if it was perceived a masterpiece back in its time.

Unfortunately not. That Acclaim went to Forever Your Girl and Electric Youth.

It got her best ever reviews at the time. True, she was for the first time outsold by the raft of wannabes who took over in her big year off, but it was inevitable as it was much more sophisticated, less commercial fare - the title track at least was challenging.

This album should not be missed by anyone wanting to see and hear Madonna t her best.

The title track persists as No. 1 on my Madonna list, and for good reason. It's, in a word, heavenly.

Great choice of singles (though I would have loved to see a video for "Till Death Do Us Part"- you know it would have been epic).

Guest Pud Whacker

This album should not be missed by anyone wanting to see and hear Madonna t her best.

The title track persists as No. 1 on my Madonna list, and for good reason. It's, in a word, heavenly.

Great choice of singles (though I would have loved to see a video for "Till Death Do Us Part"- you know it would have been epic).

yes, i agree. but i thought they did a great job combining Till Death Do Us Part, Promise to Try and Oh, Father in Oh Father. you know? they really did combine those three. xo

Yes- there was the relationship with a father, the passing of the mother and the abusive relationship, all showcased in the OF clip. But a fleshed-out TDDUP video still would have been a great thing.)