Bow to the Brilliance: Paradise (not for me) 2001 Drowned World Tour

Guest Pud Whacker

I remember being SO PISSED when this one wasn't released as a single. One of the highlights of DWT, i remember when I saw this live I was in a coma.

YES.

That moment at the end when she opens her mouth and floods the audience with red light was brilliant in person.

giphy.gif

(I don't think the alternate blood/ink version would have had the same impact: tumblr_muywfrZ5NU1sh5z08o4_r1_400.gif )

Speaking of "red light" (ahem)... anyone ever note the slight similarities between "Paradise" and the old Siouxsie And The Banshees' b-side "Something Blue"?

I wonder if Mirwais was a fan. Love both songs.

Seems like yesterday we were walloped with the WTF-ness of these photos before knowing she was filming this:

paradiseshoot3.jpgparadiseshoot4.jpgparadiseshoot5.jpg

My all time favorite Madonna song and one of my faves among all songs I've heard. I amd so glad it had the treatment it had in DWT. The song has haunted me since the very first time I heard it...the lyrics...the voice...the melody...the pain...the love...like a song to hear while having a close to death experience. I also love the Confessions performance of it...." into your eyes my face remains"

Actually this is one of the songs I make Non fans listen to to appreciate her brilliance

Same here. People who have preconceived notions of Madonna are usually surprised she filmed this brilliant avant grade video.

God, I remember these pics like it was yesterday. There was so much confusion as to what it was. It right in the middle of the fourth single fiasco and there was SO MUCH speculation that "Paradise" was getting a full single release :lol:

I loved this video so much. No video interlude in any subsequent tour has ever come close to this perfection.

This was such a fantastic era. I wish to God that "Music" had gotten six single releases. There was much brilliance on that album.

What an amazing perf. And who knew that this would be the blueprint for her tours? Little did we know she'd be remaking one of her classic 90 vids for the next tour!

Honestly one of my fav vids. I agree with you mattress, that ending is everything. So haunting and so strong. I'm so glad the beaten up footage was used for mer girl instead. What a section!!!

Guest Pud Whacker

well, of course now im on my obsesson with her obsession of Hatsumomo which culminated with Paradise in DWT but i love Nothing Really Matters and Harpers Bazaar.

tumblr_ns9zek7mLP1qlycwjo1_500.jpg

tumblr_ns9zek7mLP1qlycwjo2_500.jpg

tumblr_ns9zek7mLP1qlycwjo3_500.jpg

:bow:

Amazing and beautiful! My first time experiencing Madonna LIVE was DWT, so this always holds a special place in my heart. Have always loved to wallow in melancholy with M (self-proclaimed Queen of Despair) -- and "Paradise (Not for Me)" is one of the her finest examples of sad recordings. Such delicate simplicity, and yet such profound depths.

I do remember seeing a few of those pap shots of her filming the video (though not all of them -- so thanks for posting!) ... and I remember fans were questioning the choice at the time -- how she'd "been there/done that" with the geisha theme. But revisiting it was such a triumph! That whole section of DWT was so dramatic.

[sidebar: I wonder if Dago Gonzalez/Veneno Inc will be working on any RH Tour backdrop videos?]