Rain video b-roll unreleased

sgrus

That's really nice. Question, has this all been colourised recently or at the time? I seem to remember that this was shot in black and white then coloured afterwards. (Might be wrong)

Good question. It seems as if they colourised everything they shot, so I guess it wasn't done frame by frame, but with the help of a pretty advanced software at that time.

Otherwise I think they would've edited it first before the colourising process. :)

Thank you, Roland. A treasure to behold!

My only disappointment was that I hoped there might be some more footage of that spectacular shot with the umbrellas. It's always been the most memorable moment of the video for me, for some reason, and maybe it's so special to me partly because it's barely a few seconds long. Always thought there must be more frames out there -- haha! Maybe one day. (Even with "Vogue," there are plenty of scenes/sets not represented yet -- the famous Horst P. Horst homage with the corset from the back, the diaphanous top, etc.)

Her gaze in these alternate takes is just ... transfixing! Savides (RIP) was great at his work. And I do hope one day she might re-team with Romanek and Fincher... although I suppose now it might be difficult for any effort to stand on its own merits without being compared to its predecessors. Seriously, how can one top "Express Yourself," "Oh, Father," "Vogue," "Bad Girl," "Rain," and "Bedtime Story." Among her absolute best. So maybe just getting B-roll from these is the next best thing. :)

thanks ever so for the 2gb file of rain b-roll. I hope they at least release just the part of JML backdrop outtakes of her licking the cigar. The rain and vogue video i'm literally shaking its so beautiful. She looks absolutely beautiful in both vogue-broll is my favorite. Thanks to whoever shared it. what precious gems

Good question. It seems as if they colourised everything they shot, so I guess it wasn't done frame by frame, but with the help of a pretty advanced software at that time.

Otherwise I think they would've edited it first before the colourising process. :)

Where did the information come from that Rain was shot in black and white and then colourised? Is it one of those false Wikipedia things? It seems doubtful technology was advanced enough to do that convincingly in 1993. If it's true then this music video is even more impressive.

Colourised images always look a bit "off", but this the Rain footage looks very convincing. It just looks like normal colour film with some sort of filter or post production applied.

And surely it would have been far too expensive to colourise hours of b-roll footage that wouldn't feature in the final video.

What was with the thumb biting? At one point I thought she'd cracked a veneer!

Where did the information come from that Rain was shot in black and white and then colourised? Is it one of those false Wikipedia things? It seems doubtful technology was advanced enough to do that convincingly in 1993. If it's true then this music video is even more impressive.

Colourised images always look a bit "off", but this the Rain footage looks very convincing. It just looks like normal colour film with some sort of filter or post production applied.

And surely it would have been far too expensive to colourise hours of b-roll footage that wouldn't feature in the final video.

Yeah I don't even know where the colorization thing originally came from. I kinda wanna say that Kurt Loder mentioned it during one of the Madonna Days MTV did in the past. But Romanek made no mention of it in his director's label DVD. So I just thought it was made up.

Yeah I don't even know where the colorization thing originally came from. I kinda wanna say that Kurt Loder mentioned it during one of the Madonna Days MTV did in the past. But Romanek made no mention of it in his director's label DVD. So I just thought it was made up.

It's in Matthew Rettenmund's Encyclopedia Madonnica. "Shot on black and white stock and hand-colored..."

Like someone was going to painstakingly draw on the red veins in her eyes.

Hope it's fixed in the new edition. :lol:

Yes, the "filmed in black and white and hand-colorized" was proliferated on VH1 in other ways, as well... I recall the VJ mentioning it on air between videos during a Madonna marathon in the late 90s or early 2000s. (Somewhere between 1999 and 2001, I'd say.) It does make one question the claim ... but, it's possible that it was shot in color, but then the final cut was converted to black-and-white and hand-colored.

Yes, the "filmed in black and white and hand-colorized" was proliferated on VH1 in other ways, as well... I recall the VJ mentioning it on air between videos during a Madonna marathon in the late 90s or early 2000s. (Somewhere between 1999 and 2001, I'd say.) It does make one question the claim ... but, it's possible that it was shot in color, but then the final cut was converted to black-and-white and hand-colored.

I think it was the 2001, as I believe that's the one I was referring to. When did the Madonna encyclopedia first come out? Is it possible vh1 got their info from that?

God I wish I had those old Madonna day tapes I recorded. I had the 2001 vh1 one and the 1998 MTV one. That's one of the downfalls of moving :/

How do you even hand color a video o_O

Frame by frame.

Ha! I was gonna say the same ... nowadays, pixel by pixel, frame by frame. They do it all the time now with old black-and-white/classic films. So it's possible. Just not certain whether it was done for "Rain" or not. I was super-shocked Romanek never mentioned it on the commentary for that DVD. (Which I was excited to purchase at the time -- wish there had been more behind-the-scenes stuff and interview footage, esp. where Madonna is concerned.)

I think it was the 2001, as I believe that's the one I was referring to. When did the Madonna encyclopedia first come out? Is it possible vh1 got their info from that?

God I wish I had those old Madonna day tapes I recorded. I had the 2001 vh1 one and the 1998 MTV one. That's one of the downfalls of moving :/

I'm not sure when the original Madonna encyclopedia came out, although the photo on the front was from around 1994 or so, right? You could be right -- they may have gotten their info from that source. (Wonder where Matthew got his info?)

I totally have that VH1 marathon recorded! Wish I was set up better for converting a lot of my old VHS to digital.

It's all gorgeous. My favorite is between the columns of water and in front of the lights (pretty clothes, too). yes, it's all about the eyes. I want b-roll for Ghosttown.