Ghosttown is basically the new Bad Girl

Pablo94

GT should've been the first single, she's had ballad lead singles before. That leak and early iTunes bundle fucked things up quite a bit.

Perhaps. I'm becoming convinced though that it probably doesn't even matter what she releases as a lead single these days. We've seen how some radio stations point blank say "no new Madonna". Then you have the once reliable MTV COMPLETELY ignoring/snubbing her. That's a lot of adversity! All of the people that were a part of MTV and radio when Madonna was at her peak have probably been long gone for ages. I do think the lead single would've at least charted on the Hot 100 had it been released under "normal" circumstances. I'm just not sure a legitimate, long term hit is possible anymore. GT is a classic Madonna ballad, honestly it's one of the best songs she's ever recorded and I'm 200% confident had it been released in a time Madonna was younger and the world was feeling "Madonna friendly", that song would've been huge. Everything Diplo said was spot on!

I am trying to work out the similarities between Bad Girl and Ghosttown and the only one I can think of is underappreciated by the general public. Bad Girl is one of my favorite songs but Ghosttown feels like there's a little something missing. Maybe if it wasn't seen as classic. Could be interferring with my feelings about the song.

Honestly, I've always found BG to be lacking that certain something. I can't quite put my finger on it but something keeps it from going on the list with Madonnas greatest ballads. GT has a massive chorus, classic M lyrics and melody structure and her voice is pretty fucking perfect! I will say though, the BG video will most likely never be beat. It's been my favorite for over 20 yrs now......and there has been a lot of amazing videos during that time but BG transfixes me every time!

Drunk or not (which I myself may or may not currently be...) I'm totally getting what Pablo94 was saying. In relation to this era, "Ghosttown" is the under-appreciated "Bad Girl". A beautiful hit waiting in the wings that never gets to take off due to a preexisting media bias against Madonna.

Plus, it only makes sense after certain topic starters here proclaimed "Living For Love" the new "Deeper And Deeper" last winter.. :smug:

Guest Rachelle of London

Honestly, I've always found BG to be lacking that certain something. I can't quite put my finger on it but something keeps it from going on the list with Madonnas greatest ballads. GT has a massive chorus, classic M lyrics and melody structure and her voice is pretty fucking perfect! I will say though, the BG video will most likely never be beat. It's been my favorite for over 20 yrs now......and there has been a lot of amazing videos during that time but BG transfixes me every time!

Drunk or not (which I myself may or may not currently be...) I'm totally getting what Pablo94 was saying. In relation to this era, "Ghosttown" is the under-appreciated "Bad Girl". A beautiful hit waiting in the wings that never gets to take off due to a preexisting media bias against Madonna.

Plus, it only makes sense after certain topic starters here proclaimed "Living For Love" the new "Deeper And Deeper" last winter.. :smug:

I agree