Question: How many Blond Ambition shows were filmed?

material_boy

Barcelona remains my favourite

I just wish they'd filmed the Wembley one would have looked fabulous.

I'd love a re-edited version of Barcelona (or even a great quality broadcast version of what we've seen) The live broadcast misses so many great little choreography moments and relies a lot on far shots. SO many missed opportunities with these live shows that are rotting away on degrading videotape somewhere.

Dunno what this will really show - but here's a clip from my PAL Laserdisc of BA Nice.

And here's same clip from a WB NTSC VHS Promo I got a few years ago. It's the original HBO Edit of the concert:

m2cmp.jpg

I'd love a re-edited version of Barcelona (or even a great quality broadcast version of what we've seen) The live broadcast misses so many great little choreography moments and relies a lot on far shots. SO many missed opportunities with these live shows that are rotting away on degrading videotape somewhere.

It's so sad because, with Nice in existence, I can't see them every bothering to do anything with BA Barcelona.

I liked the band a lot better that night apart from anything else!!!

Those clips are interesting for demonstrating the exact same muddy soundmix. WHY didn't they fix it up for the laserdisk?

It's so sad because, with Nice in existence, I can't see them every bothering to do anything with BA Barcelona.

I liked the band a lot better that night apart from anything else!!!

Yeah it was a nice, punchy recording - had that live stadium vibe, even if her voice was really struggling the first few songs .

I wonder if networks or whatever can still buy/bid on stuff like Barcelona to show? The BBC obviously had the rights to Nice for a while as they showed it a couple of times. Barcelona was on BBC 2 once and MTV Europe I think (and SKY obviously). It's all so complicated.

The best BA Barcelona I saw was the MTV-Australia broadcast - which was a couple of weeks after the concert happened and they seemed to have gotten a much better tape of the show than the live broadcast, in terms of colouring and lack of interference.

Sadly their broadcast was heavily edited.

The BBC2 Xmas Eve broadcast looked like it came from a tape of the Live Sky TV broadcast - interference on stage lights which I had thought was due to Sky's bad live feed, was shockingly still there on the BBC 6 months later!

Here's the MUST-SEE Barcelona clip from the Sky original broadcast.

Madonna being ambushed on stage - live in front of millions of TV viewers across Europe. How did this happen? What was it about?!

And her reference to it during Keep It Together ("Strange people walk on my stage, they put shit on me...")

T shirt man!!

Haha

I still have this on VHS along with the one hour special before ad the Abbey National sponsor thing with Sonia singing

The best BA Barcelona I saw was the MTV-Australia broadcast - which was a couple of weeks after the concert happened and they seemed to have gotten a much better tape of the show than the live broadcast, in terms of colouring and lack of interference.

Sadly their broadcast was heavily edited.

The BBC2 Xmas Eve broadcast looked like it came from a tape of the Live Sky TV broadcast - interference on stage lights which I had thought was due to Sky's bad live feed, was shockingly still there on the BBC 6 months later!

Here's the MUST-SEE Barcelona clip from the Sky original broadcast.

Madonna being ambushed on stage - live in front of millions of TV viewers across Europe. How did this happen? What was it about?!

And her reference to it during Keep It Together ("Strange people walk on my stage, they put shit on me...")

Haha yes, I remember those interference lines on my tape from Sky Movies. I always thought it was live satellite interference. I never caught the edited Xmas Eve BBC showing but I always wondered if the pic quality was much better, Kind of glad to hear now that it wasn't!

Someone surely must have authorised that guy to get up there on stage but as Donna said - "what are you advertising?" I still don't know...

T shirt man!!

Haha

I still have this on VHS along with the one hour special before ad the Abbey National sponsor thing with Sonia singing

Yes and they KEPT showing behind the scenes of WTG the movie and Shanghai Surprise press conference. I was like "get with the times SKY!!!"

God the excitement everyone had on a hot summer night us all waiting for it to start.

My older cousin as all his laddish mates loved it all he still bangs on about it now.

Filth

Yes and they KEPT showing behind the scenes of WTG the movie and Shanghai Surprise press conference. I was like "get with the times SKY!!!"

And of course jogging in Hyde Park which the UK press were obsessed with

Guest bluejean

Yes the Australian airing of BAT Barcelona saw an upward tilt to fireworks in the sky during the Like a Virgin bed humping sequence.

Does that mean there were fireworks during that part at every outdoor show? Or was that just edited in? I haven't seen it so long.

I remember some of my family were on holiday in Spain at the time and my older sister phoned me to say she was watching Madonna concert on TV in a bar! I couldn't understand what was going on because it hadn't started on Sky - and they had been advertising it as "LIVE".

Soon realised we were getting it on a delay - seemingly just to allow for ad breaks and a post-watershed time, cos they didn't cut anything from the show or any of the swearing.

Yes the Australian airing of BAT Barcelona saw an upward tilt to fireworks in the sky during the Like a Virgin bed humping sequence.

Does that mean there were fireworks during that part at every outdoor show? Or was that just edited in? I haven't seen it so long.

Ah yes you are right I remember that!

No - that's a shot from the fireworks display which happened when the show ended. :-)

Barcelona and Nice had fireworks at the very end of the show. Cut out on the laserdisk.

And I had a friend at the time who's Dad had a giant satellite dish which he tuned into the un-encrypted feed all evening.

Here's the cameras doing testing (I dubbed audience sound onto this cos the original is silent).

^^^ So cool!. Any of you fact fans/geeks notice the little Barcelona splices cut into the Nice laserdisc editing? Like a Prayer in particular?

No way! Are you for real??

Oh I think we all need a Madonna geek convention weekend at Jamesys.

Me and Kim will bring some booze and canapés .

No way! Are you for real??

I'll need to get screenshots BUT, and ok this IS really geeky...the most obvious one is.. you may have noticed that the band kits used for Nice have "DUDS" written on the bottom of them and the drumkit is a generic DW black kit, but during LAP when she's spinning around during the dance breakdown and the camera pans to her legs and if you look at the drumkit in the background you'll notice it's the one used for all previous shows with the print on it (like two female figures/fire) and you'll also notice paper(?) or something on the ground. If you watch Barcelona you'll see that same paper stuff on the stage floor that's nowhere to be seen on the Nice footage...the others are literally seconds but you can clearly see that Barcelona hair and a slightly different lighting design/colour that changes only in those shots. I'll need to screenshot them later.

I'll need to get screenshots BUT, and ok this IS really geeky...the most obvious one is.. you may have noticed that the band kits used for Nice have "DUDS" written on the bottom of them and the drumkit is a generic DW black kit, but during LAP when she's spinning around during the dance breakdown and the camera pans to her legs and if you look at the drumkit in the background you'll notice it's the one used for all previous shows with the print on it (like two female figures/fire) and you'll also notice paper(?) or something on the ground. If you watch Barcelona you'll see that same paper stuff on the stage floor that's nowhere to be seen on the Nice footage...the others are literally seconds but you can clearly see that Barcelona hair and a slightly different lighting design/colour that changes only in those shots. I'll need to screenshot them later.

No that is absolutely class. I would never have known.

Tomorrow I am gonna find that and upload them side by side to show! I love this kind of thing.

This means the Pioneer Nice editors had Barcelona master to use also. Although not shocking, I just never knew that to be the case. I'm quite fascinated by this now - but it's late and I have to go to bed lol!

THANKS!!!!

Ok fellow BA geeks. One thing I noticed about Barcelona is that it has a very particular and different lighting colour scheme during particular songs, That makes it easy to spot some differences. These pics are all from the official laserdisk.

Barcelona with orange lights in the background..

35aoy6u.jpg

Jumps straight to Nice with red lights and a cameraman that wasn't there a second ago next to the steps. I'm assuming he was the reason for this insert...

219yser.jpg

Generic, new DW drum-kit and no shit on the ground in Nice...

35cmnf9.jpg

to Barcelona with old drum-kit, blue lights and paper or something at her feet...

aaheex.jpg

Barcelona's Like a Prayer has a very unique lighting colour design. Light blue pillars and orange lights in the background

2z53jw2.jpg

mixed in seconds earlier with the more familiar pinks and reds from Nice ...

xf6tj.jpg

More blue and orange insert shots and a little glimpse of Barcelona hair...

hu3bsz.jpg

This from Nice...

vonc0l.jpg

Suddenly cuts to an obvious Barca shot...

2mr9lcm.jpg

ALL VERY brief little inserts you hardly even notice but obvious once you know what to look for. Maybe this was the editor Mitchell Sinoway's secret little nod to his own Ciao Italia mix 'n match job a coupla years earlier ;)

oh jesus, this is soooo interesting !!!

Thank you very much KIM for thise delicious informations !!! I never recognised that :D

If you have more suhc informations just write, I like to read those things !!!

Can you also show on videos the Pre-recording or oversing of LAP with our loveley Niki ? :D

BTW, I just checked youtube for LAV from BAT and there are some fan recordings, I love how the audience go nuts !!!!That must have been a experience of life for them <3

• 4 weeks later...

Found this amazing footage today from Vigo, i had seen just a short lq clip before, this is longer and very good quality, her hair looks different!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pgx3Pzal4HM

This is perfect!!!

Thanks for posting the link!