30 years ago : The Playboy pics

On july the 16th Madonna second big controversy (the first one being the LAV performance at the MTV awards) hit the world.

Her naked pics from 1978 were released by Playboy

madonna-playboy-cover.jpg

And by Penthouse

madonna_penthouse_magazine.jpg

What was supposed to shame her and ruin her career and had made Vanessa Williams apologize for the same thing that same year, she boldy

faced head strong and defiantly like the lioness she is.

"So what ? I'm not ashamed"

And what was trash was

tumblr_nb6xo7ruz51tvjfcso1_1280.jpg

turned into a piece of art by two of the biggest artists of the 20th century

as a gift one month later for her wedding

untitledmadonna_large.jpg

She faced the world and did not hide in shame by going to Philadelphia to perform for Liva Aid with Sean Penn, Chris, Keith Haring and Martin (here looking lovingly at her)

image.jpg

With a coat and attire made by Prince's tailor especially for her

While the crowd was chanting "Take your clothes off !" She boldly answered she was not going to because "You'll hold it against me 10 years from now" and then set the stage on fire.

Controversy that had been building up until then died and Madonna after the MTV awards scandal and this out of her control controversy knew that NOTHING would break (like it broke many before) her and in fact controversy was her friend.

That was one major step in Madonna's career and build up as an icon.

While the crowd was chanting "Take your clothes off !" She boldly answered she was not going to because "You'll hold it against me 10 years from now" and then set the stage on fire.

Controversy that had been building up until then died and Madonna after the MTV awards scandal and this out of her control controversy knew that NOTHING would break (like it broke many before) her and in fact controversy was her friend.

That was one major step in Madonna's career and build up as an icon.

Then she released Justify My Love, Erotica and the Sex Boolk all within 7 years of this,

I just love the playboy pics. I know she hated it at the time but I think it made her more special, a phenomenon. the pictures are so beautiful and natural. the big hair, the perfect body, nothing about them seemed cheap or cheesy. its all very artistic. it may also have been easier for her to make sexual controversial videos like justify my love and being controversial on stage (and later erotica, body of evidence, etc) if it wasn't for the pics she could've had a whole other career

andy & keith making art from the newspapers and showing her support is another great thing that happened. which other artist can say that? none of them

She actually said 'I ain't taking shit off' at Live Aid!

With ITG coming out of no where, her Live Aid appearance, then this, it was the perfect storm that sent her global.

Precisely. I think this scandal is what gave birth to SEX, she wanted nice pictures of her naked out there instead of these. Compare her well groomed and trimmed bush (even combed) in Sex with it on the Playboy & Penthouse pics.

:chuckle: