Happy 30th birthday Into The Groove!

loomer

Lets celebrate one of Madonna's biggest songs, ITG, released (just about) 30 years ago! Wow.

Featured in the club scene in the equally immortal Desperately Seeking Susan, and described as "the first great Madonna song", this is arguably the song that cemented her career and her swift ascent to legendom.

Her first UK number one after Like a Virgin was blocked by the 2 biggest Christmas hits ever, it was also robbed of a #1 slot in the US due to Sire's insistence on making it the b-side of "Angel" to flog more copies of LAV.

It was her third(?) Australian number one as a double A side with "Angel" and as a 12 inch only single with Angel was the second biggest selling single of 1985 in America behind We Are The World. It was later appended to UK copies of LAV making that a number one album, but of course we were bizarrely left without a remaster on the 2001 reissues not even as a bonus track. On the 1985 reissue you have the best track segue on an album ever from ITG to DYU.

The video is the best not proper video compilation clip ever, genius editing and features a brilliant unique edit that trims some of it to make it more of a pop than dance song.

Good going stranger!

My sister had the 12 inch (with classic bsides Everybody and Shoo-Be-Doo :rotfl:) which I used to borrow in the days when I was intrigued by Madge but not yet a proper fan.

The quintessential Madonna track about dancing and the escape of music, music can be such a revelation and only when you're dancing can you feel this free, ITG is a timeless classic in the Madonna canon.

Now bow down bitches to this all time classic!

Intothegroovesinglecover.jpg

It was later remixed by Shep Pettibone on You Can Dance

This mix was fine with the piano solo, but was sadly edited down for The Immaculate Collection, the only major mistake on that album. But worse was to come with Into the Hollywood Groove :nocomment:

Pettibone himself stole the bassline for this track by a Madonna soundalike

Downtown NY contemporaries Sonic Youth knew Madonna from her early days and rechristened themselves Ciccone Youth for this groovy desecration. Naturally this was more up NME's alley and they gave it the 3rd best single of 1986.

Super track that encapsulates everything M had done by 85!

I remember it so well, that fresh sounding track being played 100 times a day.

-Baby talk I remember too, yep elements of the bassline. - Nice to hear it again....

she almost ruined it with horrible commercial, with missy E

groove.jpg

To me into the groove is an iconic track even more than Vogue. The first track officially produced by Madonna (and Steve Bray) to be released commercialy. It's up there ith Heart of Glass as a track that transcends genre, it's "electro disco new wave" pure pop heaven. I once read it's like cocaine on cotton candy and that's exactly it.

The bridge is everything (according to Erika Belle she wrote it on the spot while in the recording booth) and that bridge is very New Order. Even people who don't like Madonna love this track because it's addictive, sexy and carefree. Happy birthday !

She wrote it when watching a Puerto Rican boy didn't she? And once described the song as dumb in typical fickle fashion in The Face 1994 or whatever.

Here she said it was her favourite song at the time

Early 00's nods to Madonna from french (then) underground dj's

Miss Kittin Stock exchange woman

"Madonna singing Into the groove in my cell phone ringing like a non stop metronome"

@ 3:11

Blackstrobe (Yvan Smagghe, Jennifer Cardini, Arnaud Rebotini) Me and Madonna

"It's so nice to get into the groove"

WeboGirl flashback:

It was the summer of '85, I was 14 years old. My friends and I made our routine weekend visit to mall. This time we were on our way to get the Into The Groove single. To our surprise, the lady in the locally owned record store said it was only available on the Angel 12 inch. We thought, 'how weird'. So the three of us bought our own copy of the Angel 12". Beautiful cover.

What a great summer that was.