Do ‘Cherish' and 'Dear Jessie' sound sad to you?

loowee

Is it just me that finds both songs a bit nostalgic and melancholic albeit their "bubbly" lyrical content? It's probably because they are sandwiched between the saddest songs on the record but I love how they are sequenced. The best album of all time. :drama:

I don't find those songs sad or anything. True Blue the song is a 50s number when 50s were trendy. They are trendy again.

Cherish is a bright pop number, Madonna style. And Dear Jessie is a lulluby.

I love cherish doesn't sound sad but i always thought dear jessie. did i actually thought it was about Madonna loosing a child.

Guest Pud Whacker

---

the only thing SAD about Dear Jessie is the AWFUL video which i refuse to post here and acknowledge as official on any level.

No, I find the 3 songs mentioned in this thread - Cherish, Dear Jessie and True Blue to all be the exact opposite of sad. Very happy, cheerful and somewhat innocent songs. The sweet carefree side of Madonna.

Think Cherish has a very upbeat and a kind of cheesy vibe. I've always seen it as the other side of Til Death Do Us Part. So I'd say it's about eternal love.. The happy ending basically.

Dear Jessie is almost dramatic as it gives you the idea of what a childhood looks like and when it slowly turns into Oh Father that's when I see the other side of it.

As stand alone songs are happy in themes and music but listening to the album and knowing of TDDUP and OF you might sense how that happy feeling is only an illusion and sadness is just there waiting to take over.

I love Dear Jessie! I don't think it's sad, I've always loved nostalgia.

Re Like a Virgin on the MDNA tour, songs can always sound sadder when made a lot slower. Could not believe it when I heard a slow version of Take on me by opera/musical singer David Hobson. It was so sad and sorrowful, exact opposite of the A-HA classic.

Cherish, True Blue and Dear Jessie have such positive, hopeful and sweet lyrics full of love, Madonna sings them with such a happy tone. She emotes beautifully when singing - always expresses the emotion and lyrics of the song. I find Borderline a more sad song, even though it is a classic pop song. The lyrics are sad and her voice perfectly conveys the words despite it not being a ballad. Till death do as part is an interesting one. She deliberately makes this sad and powerful song almost distant and uses a more upbeat backing. Somehow twists it to make it more powerful. She is amazing as a vocalist and artist.

Agree with Jan regarding Borderline. :chuckle: That song made me cry once. And TDDUP too. It's a beautiful juxtaposition of sadness and hope(?)/trying to be positive(?). That song made me cry too despite the upbeat tempo of it.