What are some recurring themes you've noticed in M's music?

Family, especially her mother (Promise To Try, Inside of Me, Mer Girl, Mother and Father)

Getting over obstacles and reaching goals (Over and Over, Sky Fits Heaven, Give It 2 Me)

Expressing oneself (Express Yourself, Human Nature)

Partying (Where's the Party, Holiday, Bitch I'm Madonna)

Fraternal love (Borrowed Time, Swim, Why's It So Hard)

Empowerment was the first thing I thought of too, after all it's probably the theme I love the most in her music :thumbsup:

Besides that, being a non-conformist is something she's been frequently bringing up too, up until today (RH's title song).

And of course the obvious stuff like loss, heartbreak, sexual innuendos, love and everything surrounding it...

Let's face it Madonna has used a lot of themes in which we can all relate.

She spoke about many subjects through her music. Some songs might come across a bit infantile but some are definitely a work of art and totally underrated by the general public. Loss and end of love has always been one of her major themes. Self empowerment is certainly another one. I would also suggest Madonna talks as much about sex as she talks about God and religion. And some songs have definitely a subtext. She admitted that herself when she discussed You'll See during a NME interview.

Secret is about God. Deeper And Deeper is about coming out. Love Tried To Welcome Me is about a lonely stripper. Inside Of Me is about her mother... There's no rule in what she is really singing about. She already stated in an interview that she doesn't like to talk about her inspirations behind a song... I think she said that to Rolling Stone while promoting the Music album.

Even in Rebel Heart we don't know whom those break up songs are directing to. It could be Guy Ritchie or the French dancer or someone else. Devil Pray is another song in which the message can be easily misread as it's not quite clear. Also, Queen is a song with deep meanings and revelations. All in all, Madonnas music is never boring.

People need to stop these fuzzy dream jokes. lol

She has only said it a couple of times. More specifically in I'm So Stupid and Miles Away ( bearing in mind I'm So Stupid was never released as a single or even played live). And Broken is still an unreleased song that you can't find in any albums. She's got a 30 years long career. Let's never forget that.

I would say "hesitating" is probably the word she overused the most as Hung Up, 4 Minutes and Celebration have that word and they're all the main singles off three albums in a row.

I would say "hesitating" is probably the word she overused the most as Hung Up, 4 Minutes and Celebration have that word and they're all the main singles off three albums in a row.

:noway:

"Goodbye" was used the most.

Erotica

Bye bye baby

Bye bye baby bye bye

It's your turn to cry

That's why we have to say goodbye

So say goodbye

Rain

When you looked into my eyes

And you said goodbye could you see my tears

Bedtime Stories

Take A Bow

You took my love for granted, why oh why

The show is over, say goodbye

Say goodbye [bye bye], say goodbye

Something To Remember

I'll Remember

Say good-bye to not knowing when

The truth in my whole life began

This Used To Be My Playground

Say goodbye to yesterday

Those are words I'll never say

Ray Of Light

The Power Of Goodbye

There's no greater power

Than the power of goodbye

Learn to say goodbye

I yearn to say goodbye

They're all the main singles off four albums (Since you counted Celebration as an album, so that makes STR an album too) in a row.

If not, it's main singles off five albums in a row (A League Of Their Own, Erotica, With Honors, Bedtime Stories, Ray Of Light).

In addition, Erotica album had the MOST Goodbye-S:

Bye bye baby

Bye bye baby bye bye

It's your turn to cry

That's why we have to say goodbye

So say goodbye

Waiting

Don't go making me cry

You're gonna say goodbye

Baby, tell me why

Rain

When you looked into my eyes

And you said goodbye could you see my tears

In This Life

Didn't want his friends to see him cry

He knew the day was dawning

And I didn't have a chance to say goodbye

Erotica Session:

Goodbye To Innocence

Say goodbye to anonymity

I have to say goodbye

This Used To Be My Playground

Say goodbye to yesterday

Those are words I'll never say

theres a lot of time and saying goodbye in her songs

empowerment and fighting for what you want

but.. also

like a member pointed out before me: sex, religion, death.

Time!

The first singles of Confessions, HC, and MDNA all have lines about time in them which is pretty interesting.

Hung Up: Time goes by so slowly for those who wait/Tick tick tock it's a quarter to two

4 Minutes: We only got 4 minutes to save the world/Time is waiting/Now don't waste time/Tick Tock Tick Tock

Give Me All Your Luvin': Let's forget about time and dance our lives away

:laugh:

The themes in:

Drowned World

Swim

Sky Fits Heaven

Paradise

Gone

Easy Ride

Candy Perfume Girl

(to name a few)

Are what first attracted me to M

I don't have anything to add to this thread that others haven't said already, but I read somewhere ages ago arguing that she has one of the most warm, humane, emotive catalogues in pop, despite her steely persona. She rarely writes angry, vengeful or boastful tracks - even Bitch I'm Madonna is about partying rather than bigging herself up.

I don't have anything to add to this thread that others haven't said already, but I read somewhere ages ago arguing that she has one of the most warm, humane, emotive catalogues in pop, despite her steely persona. She rarely writes angry, vengeful or boastful tracks - even Bitch I'm Madonna is about partying rather than bigging herself up.

Well said. I totally agree. She's very humble in her song writing. Yet, another reason why I lover her.