Avicii comments on demos vs final versions

Madonna ruined my track: Avicii slams the Queen of Pop

MUSIC collaborations can be a difficult process with egos flying in all directions – but clearly nobody told superstar DJ Avicii after admitting he found out the hard way.

After being called upon by the Queen of Pop herself to help turn her 12th studio album Rebel Heart into a hit, the Swedish chart topper admitted he couldn't wait to hit the studio with the iconic star.

But despite initially hitting it off things suddenly took a turn for the worst when M's ego got the better of her.

Chatting exclusively to Daily Star Online, Avicii admitted he clashed creatively with the Living for Love singer.

He revealed: "At the beginning we were all on the same page and then...I wasn't....happy with the final product."

To speak out against Madonna takes some guts but it seems Avicii was not afraid.

He continued his assault on the living legend by admitting he preferred the leaked demo.

He said: "I thought it was better. It was more me."

But the experience hasn't put him off working with some of the world's biggest names.

"I'd love to work with Adele and Rihanna," he said.

"I'm super excited for Rihanna's record, I haven't heard any of it yet either.

"She is one of the most talented artists of our time."

Maybe Madonna should have listened to Avicii as Rebel Heart turned out to be her lowest selling album in 20 years.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz/446623/Madonna-Avicii-argument-Rebel-Heart

Um...sorry but he's *totally right! lol Tired/moved on subject matter but think the masses have spoken that the 'demo' that leaked (and obviously NOT used on the album) was an instant possible smash. No doubt though his quotes and the interview were 90%+ prob. fabricated but his core point is totally accurate! To this day I think most people/ fans are totally still like why the F did she not feel his production on RH and WAOM etc...when that 'sound' is totally classic Madonna yet very contemporary.

........The fact that many prefer the dated avicii versions is beyond me

I agree it is dated - and it would be embarrassing for Madonna to have something as dated as that on her new album, so I totally get dropping it. But, what the fuck happened?

Rebel Hear album version >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The fact that many prefer the dated avicii versions is beyond me

lol. Sorry babe but you're def. in the minority. Don't care if I get stones thrown at me for saying that. Step outside of MNation and just go onto You Tube (alone) and you'll see a clear majority of people feel differently than you. The final product is barely album filler and not even B side quality. It's the *title track* yet was neutered beyond repair/belief. Avicii gave the song its soul. No clue why it was sucked out down to the bone.

Of course he's right...the demo version is close to life and anthemic...the album one is so mehhhh...but even the demo has this vibe of wasted chance to make of it a classic....such is life

I agree it is dated - and it would be embarrassing for Madonna to have something as dated as that on her new album, so I totally get dropping it. But, what the fuck happened?

The album version isn't bad at all. I get that people may like the demo version more and all that stuff. I personally like a version of Messiah than the one included in the album, but the album version isn't bad too.

We have so many versions of the songs from the album plus new ones that didn't make it. that's something we don't have from the rest of the albums. This era is so rich in music, videos, promotion, performances, interviews, etc. but we have to complain, complain and complain.

No wonder she hated that all the demos leaked. Imagine if that happened to the rest of the albums we would have fans complaining that their favorite version of a certain song didn't make it. The problem now is that we know, and instead of celebrating that we moan.

^^Django

I'm inclined to see that logic. However, I believe the Avicii version showed us that the song could have a spark of life in it. It did not have to sound dated, nor did it have to sound like the final version either. If we didn't have the demos to compare it to, would we not simply think that it was an American Life reject? It's not on the standard version of the album for a reason.

I could be wrong, of course. This is not an EDM album, so the final version fits better. But, it's kinda like when you see a hot guy and find out he is straight; you just think, "what a waste."

^^Django

I'm inclined to see that logic. However, I believe the Avicii version showed us that the song could have a spark of life in it. It did not have to sound dated, nor did it have to sound like the final version either. If we didn't have the demos to compare it to, would we not simply think that it was an American Life reject? It's not on the standard version of the album for a reason.

I think Madonna stated that the original album is the Deluxe and the standard was the label's choice or something like that.

And I honestly don't think people would complain at all if they didn't know how the avicii demo was.

Um...sorry but he's *totally right! lol Tired/moved on subject matter but think the masses have spoken that the 'demo' that leaked (and obviously NOT used on the album) was an instant possible smash. No doubt though his quotes and the interview were 90%+ prob. fabricated but his core point is totally accurate! To this day I think most people/ fans are totally still like why the F did she not feel his production on RH and WAOM etc...when that 'sound' is totally classic Madonna yet very contemporary.

Completely agree^

Rebel Heart (demo) was the only opportunity lost in this case. It had the perfect balance between a timeless classic and Avicii's signature sound

Thank god she ditched those dated Avicii productions on WAOM/Borrowed Time. They were as generic as 4 Minutes in 2008.

She did not strip Rebel Heart or re work it. They just went with an earlier demo of the song aka #2 that leaked in December. WAOM demo is amazing and so good. The only dated and generic one was Borrowed Time

I think Madonna stated that the original album is the Deluxe and the standard was the label's choice or something like that.

Yes, she did say that. Most people don't view it that way when it comes to standard vs. deluxe issues. RH is the title track and it was relegated to a filler on the extended album basically hoping that no one will notice.

It fits the theme of the album. It is Madonna explaining her rebelliousness and her heartiness. It's good in concept, but I just think they screwed up the execution of the production. I mean it's a filler now. A filler.

Loved the Rebel Heart demo and think it should have been on the album. As for the interviewer's comments and headlines, obviously made to create negative attention to Madonna as usual. Avicci was hardly slamming her, just giving his opinion on the finished product and said he preferred his original version - an opinion which he is entitled to give. The fact that he said the interviewer was "shitty" speaks volumes as well.

Yes, she did say that. Most people don't view it that way when it comes to standard vs. deluxe issues. RH is the title track and it was relegated to a filler on the extended album basically hoping that no one will notice.

Well, she's the one who made the album so I will stick to what she considers it's the original album. I don't think songs like Best Night, VVV, S.E.X. or Messiah are songs relegated to filler on the extended album hoping that nobody will notice. Rebel Heart is the perfect closing track from the great album that Rebel Heart is. I would prefer Queen as a closing track for the Super Deluxe as it was intended but oh well, she didn't do it, but i'm not complaining, at least I'm happy I got that song cause it leaked and i can place it at the end of the Super Deluxe in my iPod.

Rebel Hear album version >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The fact that many prefer the dated avicii versions is beyond me

I agree with you no matter how unpopular it may be on here. You notice he said the original version was more "me". But was it Madonna? It's a Madonna record not an Avicii record. I find his stuff very predictable. I was not that excited about her working with him since he has a very predictable sound. People say they didn't want another EDM record, but that's what it would be with his production. I like that it has different textures on it. There are a lot of older more traditional songwriting people who like Rebel Heart and Wash All Over Me the way they turned out to be and would hate the typical Avicii sound.

I just feel this is another way Madonna is not given the respect other artists are. Most of the time producers don't criticize artists even if they disagree or change the version on the album because after all it's their album. But somehow everyone is very quick to criticize Madonna.

Wasnt Avicci in rehab/sick for most of the year while she was recording the album

It was indeed strange that different than the other producers and sogwriters she only met avicci for one sessio in february

Wasnt Avicci in rehab/sick for most of the year while she was recording the album

It was indeed strange that different than the other producers and sogwriters she only met avicci for one sessio in february

Yes, he has severe pancreatitis.

I agree with you no matter how unpopular it may be on here. You notice he said the original version was more "me". But was it Madonna? It's a Madonna record not an Avicii record. I find his stuff very predictable. I was not that excited about her working with him since he has a very predictable sound. People say they didn't want another EDM record, but that's what it would be with his production. I like that it has different textures on it. There are a lot of older more traditional songwriting people who like Rebel Heart and Wash All Over Me the way they turned out to be and would hate the typical Avicii sound.

I just feel this is another way Madonna is not given the respect other artists are. Most of the time producers don't criticize artists even if they disagree or change the version on the album because after all it's their album. But somehow everyone is very quick to criticize Madonna.

Wash All Over Me album version is so epic and dramatic... I love it. I also enjoy Avicii's dance version, but the new one is million times better. It's not just a nice dance song, it's a highlight from an album that's already a highlight.

Correct - it's a Madonna record, not an Aviici record.

And wasn't it Guy O' that suggested she work with Aviici?

I don't think Aviici is dissing her, typical print media causing a stir!