Songs that came alive when performed live

What songs didn't really grab you until you heard them live for the first time?

For me, it was "Candy Perfume Girl."

I liked "CPG" just fine when it first came out, but I didn't really love it until I saw the Drowned World Tour. That punk rock attitude, the guitar on stage for the first time ... God, I loved everything about it and it gave me a whole new appreciation for the song. Still today, I think of it as one of the highlights of the "ROL" album.

Oh, "Why's it so Hard?" Album version feels a bit slow for me, but the queen spits fire when doing it live. God, it's just perfect.

"Celebration" -- have never liked the original version or its remixes, but the live version is FIERCE.

I cannot wait for the new tour.

These reached another level once I heard them live:

Why's Is It So Hard

Candy Perfume Girl

Nobody Knows Me

Let It Will Be

Candy Shop

Spanish Lesson

Turn Up The Radio

I Don't Give A

Have to say "Bitch, I'm Madonna". Not that I didn't like it, I thought it was fun, a bit crazy and enjoyed it. However, was not one of my favourite songs. Since I saw her doing it on Jimny Fallon though, it has gone up to a top notch level. Her energy and performance was so incredible and contagious that it is now one of my favourites on Rebel Heart. The Power of Madonna. Also Sooner or Later. I love the I'm Breathless album and liked this song but after that Oscar's performance - again took it to a new level.

Girl gone wild, i really dint like when i heard it first and didnt understand why it became a single, but the live performance with the opening, the stage, the attitude....i love it!!

oh yeah i don't give a fuck is so cool live. turn up the radio is nice too on the dvd.

but honestly, any song can go from bad to great when you add the theatrics of the MDNA intro to it :p the Kalakan trio were so haunting.. I loved them.

O'h, just realized that this thread is about hearing songs live on stage, not watching live performances on screen. :doh: My earliest post is a bit out of place but o'h well.

Also Sooner or Later. I love the I'm Breathless album and liked this song but after that Oscar's performance - again took it to a new level.

How could I forget this? Yes, yes, YES.

For me, CAC, I foubnd the cd version lame, lacking something, and live has been always full of energy.Same with Holiday,I know it´s one of her classics, but I only enjoy it in its live versions.Of course, as somebody has said Candy shop, and Nobody knows me!!

What songs didn't really grab you until you heard them live for the first time?

For me, it was "Candy Perfume Girl."

I liked "CPG" just fine when it first came out, but I didn't really love it until I saw the Drowned World Tour. That punk rock attitude, the guitar on stage for the first time ... God, I loved everything about it and it gave me a whole new appreciation for the song. Still today, I think of it as one of the highlights of the "ROL" album.

Yes! This is the first song I thought about when I read the thread title. That performance blew me away and really brought the song to life.

Candy Shop is another one - I liked it before but S&S made me really fall in love... then MDNA made it even better. Love the sexy confident energy she brought to both tour performances.

"Bitch I'm Madonna" for sure! She really brought it home.

"Get Together" on Star Academy... I mean, I already loved the song, but this performance really gave the song everything it needed with the crowd reaction! I had to show that performance to so many friends and they all loved the song immediately.

"Why's it so Hard" on the Girlie Show, I'll second that one!

"Give Me all Your Lovin" on the MDNA tour really showed what a force this song could be when transformed, marching band from the ceiling, etc.

"She's Not Me", S&S tour, really gave the song an extra cheekiness.

Oh, and I actually only saw the last two mentioned live... but even seeing performaces on youtube/DVD can translate the feelings of what she is trying to do live.

Candy Perfume Girl was a standout when I first heard ROL and loved it even more when I heard the performance.

Apart from the ones already mentioned,I'd add Mother and Father

I didn't like Candy Shop until I saw the Sticky and Sweet Tour and the fucking THRONE :drama: :drama:

Going by the tours -

The Virgin Tour:

Gambler

Who's That Girl Tour:

The Look of Love

Blonde Ambition Tour:

Oh Father (This version made me fall in love with the song)

Keep it Together (I can't hear this song without the tour performance)

Girlie Show:

Why's it so hard

Drowned World Tour:

Candy Perfume Girl

Sky Fits Heaven

Gone

Reinvention Tour:

Lament

Confessions Tour:

Let it Will Be

Paradise (Not For Me) - (I liked the song, but this performance made me fall in love with it completely)

Sticky and Sweet:

Candy Shop

Heartbeat

You Must Love Me

MDNA:

GMAYL

Best Friend (Interlude)

I'm a sinner

For me personally, the look of love!

Always thought the song was ok and never heard it until a couple of years ago, but M performance during WTG was heartfelt and wonderful. :inlove:

'Everybody' from The Girlie Show

'Rain' from The Girlie Show

'Paradise (Not For Me)' from Confessions Tour

Also her interludes always make me see the songs in a whole new way, like the 'Sorry' remix from the Confessions Tour and 'Get Stupid' from S&S which made me appreciate the lyrics of Beat Goes On even more.