Material Girl Appreciation Thread

Sloane

Yes it's that time once again to worship at the altar of MATERIAL GIRL. Ya know, for those of you paying attention, just the other day I was compelled outta nowhere to watch Express Yourself from BAT and tonight it was the Material Girl video (The M Performances Giving Me LIFE Today threads are for live vids only) and occurred to me after watching this vid how DYNAMIC of an artist she is. I absolutely cannot stand it when someone says this woman has no talent. EY from BAT and the Material Girl are SO. STARKLY. DIFFERENT. It's like a completely different person.

The Material Girl video is gorgeous to look at: pink, diamonds, red, white mink and popcorn. OMG towards the end when she's lifting her hair up in a bun when he brings her daisies, the ENTIRE dance sequence especially when they lift her upside down, when she's sitting in the red car and her jaw-line is POISED then she sits up and says "That's right!." Don't even get me started on the MDNA Tour vibes with her hair pulled up like that. It's just a great video.

M should do this on her next tour and not in some reconstructed way. It's no secret she loathes the Material Girl title she's been given. I'd like to see her say fuck it and go full-glamor again. Be a material girl on stage and just own it. That's right!

OA_bobpeak_0193_Madonna_700.jpg

She is a vision to behold in this video!!!! Some of my earliest memories of her go back to watching the "making of the 'Material Girl' video" on Entertainment Tonight when I was just a little baby stan-let.

Love the song, love the video.

Guest Pud Whacker

Best ever. Greatest song and the marriage of it with the video is absolutely perfection.

It saddens me when madonna puts down her work because if she publicly puts it down, no one else will appreciate it.

Best ever. Greatest song and the marriage of it with the video is absolutely perfection.

It saddens me when madonna puts down her work because if she publicly puts it down, no one else will appreciate it.

There is nothing that Madonna does that "irritates" me........EXCEPT this! I cannot stand it when she undermines her past work, especially these early songs. Bitch those songs made you a household name and people to this day will pay $400 to see her in hopes of performing these songs.

Anyways, back on track....MG is one of the best videos she (or anyone for that matter) has ever made. She's so incredibly beautiful in this video. Perfect song to open the LAV album as well.

I love this track and the reggae beat it has. It's fun, tongue in cheek and super catchy. It's like a classic musical tune with an 80's flavour.

She may not like it but the theme is recurring in her work : More, Love Spent (is like a "table has turn" song answer to the girl who sang "Material Girl" years ago) and even Unapologetic bitch.

Material girl is wonderful in every way in my eyes. The song itself is insanely catchy, different from your typical pop song and the lyrics are clever in their irony. Nile Rogers wanted this as the lead single.

It also helped continue Madonna's rise as the nunber 1 superstar of the time. The video was incredible and continuted Madonna's rise as ( in my opinion ) the most influential and memorable video artist ever. She looked so beautiful and glamourous in every outfit she wore in the video. Madonna managed to take on the Marilyn performance of "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" and put her own ironic and perfect stamp on it. I also loved every other look in the video as well - I bought a similar white top and skirt to the one she wore in the last scenes to copy her - well my Mum bought it for me :laugh: This was one of the most incredible times to be a Madonna fan. I already loved her but watching everyone else - both boys and girls - become obsessed with her around this time was a buzz. I always look back at this era with great love and memories and don't understand why some fans seem to down-play it all.

The Material Girl video is gorgeous to look at: pink, diamonds, red, white mink and popcorn. OMG towards the end when she's lifting her hair up in a bun when he brings her daisies, the ENTIRE dance sequence especially when they lift her upside down, when she's sitting in the red car and her jaw-line is POISED then she sits up and says "That's right!." Don't even get me started on the MDNA Tour vibes with her hair pulled up like that. It's just a great video.

An irresistible song and everything that you said about the video! Madonna's coquettish vocal delivery and effortless execution of the dance sequence is perfection. Love all of it.

:chuckle:

Sharon Oreck, Video Producer: Madonna’s breasts are super-perky, so they tend to pop out when she dances. In the “Material Girl” video, she’s wearing a pink outfit, and I guess it didn’t have a bra, so whenever she’d go upside down or lay back with her arms in the air, one or two of her boobs would come out. I was on the set when she first met Sean Penn. She was in her Marilyn Monroe finery. We all knew they were going to fall in love and get married.

:mellow:

Freddy Demann: People often misunderstand the “Material Girl” video. The idea was that Madonna was a Marilyn Monroe–type actress playing the role of a gold digger—a “material girl”—in a musical, but off-camera she was a good person. She chooses the poor guy in the shitty car instead of the rich guy. But everyone assumed Madonna was identifying with the material girl. The title stuck to her, and that bothered her. She never liked that handle.

http://nymag.com/arts/popmusic/features/mtv-2011-10/index2.html

^ Thanks Neno for the quotes. :lol: Have to laugh at the quote about Madonna's breasts popping out. I always thought it was weird when some "fans" claimed she has implants later in her career. I always wondered if they actually saw the Material Girl video or Desperately Seeking Susan.

Also the quote from Freddy was great. Another thing I can never understand is how people did not get the meaning behind not only the song but the video. It is pure irony and so easy to read. Got it when I was a child yet see people that hate her still trying to argue the point that she is shallow etc and using this song and video.

Guest Pud Whacker

Re: Sharon's quote;

That's why toward the end when she flips upside down in the men's arms Mary Lambert had to blur it. He tits were falling out.

Guest bluejean

She has explained though that it's not really the song she hates but being referred to endlessly as "The Material Girl." I don't think she hates it as much as she once did.

I actually would love her to do this song on the Rebel Heart Tour. It could really work following Bitch I'm Madonna.

^ Thanks Neno for the quotes. :lol: Have to laugh at the quote about Madonna's breasts popping out. I always thought it was weird when some "fans" claimed she has implants later in her career. I always wondered if they actually saw the Material Girl video or Desperately Seeking Susan.

Also the quote from Freddy was great. Another thing I can never understand is how people did not get the meaning behind not only the song but the video. It is pure irony and so easy to read. Got it when I was a child yet see people that hate her still trying to argue the point that she is shallow etc and using this song and video.

You're welcome, Jan. IKR? She really has beautiful natural breasts.

Yes, so obvious and yet. These would be the same ridiculous types who say she is advocating drug taking and drinking in Devil Pray!

• 4 weeks later...