Mrs. Ritchie/Housewifedonna Appreciation Thread

loowee

best reinvention?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Did you love her persona back then?

• YAS! She was acting her age!
    • NO! M-dolla>>>>>>

WTF was Madonna thinking with this? youre Madonna!! Madonna did all this rubbish for Guy who was always a wanker I never liked him. I cant stand it when people in general get desperate to keep someone and change who they are so their partner wont leave them. People like that need serious therapy. Im glad Madonna moved on from Guy it was the worst aside from the awesome albums she did then.

FUCK NO.

In context, it was a necessary part of the Madonna evolution, and for her as a human being... but while it's unfortunate her heart was broken and her marriage didn't work...

... thank all that is holy that this period is OVER.

:newspaper:

I remember hearing GR say in 2000:

"we have a lot in common, we both like to work out" :lol:

it seemed like he hád to come up with something... but he was all "tough guy"

:old: but I remember they were the hottest couple of 2000, I saw them driving past Hide Park and people went crazy...

anyway thats so far away now...

Guest ziggy

I'll just take my post from the London concert thread to this thread, since it sums up my very mixed feelings about the Esther years, and to an extent the M-Dolla years. This was originally in response to someone who opined that Guy Ritchie was to blame for her transformation into Esther the Bore.

Guy influenced her and vice versa, but ultimately, her "preachy librarian" image was a logical phase in the mellowing down process that started with Bedtime Stories and Evita, was taken to a new level during ROL and Music, and reached its pinnacle with AL and the children's books.

Firstly, she was blind drunk on Kabbalah and decided to stand on a soap box and preach it to the world. This was her priority. She was just not that interested in pushing people's sexual buttons, she was on a whole different mission.

Secondly, she wanted to look like a responsible parent to the world and prove herself she was one, so she tamed down her provocateur act and wrote a bunch of Kabbalah-soaked children's books. I think her public demeanor also stemmed from a genuine sense of wanting to protect her children.

Last but not least, she was trying to come to terms with her own fame. There was a tangible sense of an inner battle she was going through. She was too busy searching for her real identity to revel in sexuality. The process was first evident on ROL and it went on through Music and AL.

On COADF, she seemed to have found what she was looking for – she seemed to be in peace with herself both as a global superstar and a human being – and that's when she started basking in sexuality again. That was the end of Estha. Buh-bye librarian, welcome back sexually charged pop star.

The Estha era was often a bore, but there were still plenty of highlights: AL the album, Live 8, the Britney/Christina kiss, the videos for AL and Hollywood, RIT. Artistically, she was often wildly creative, much more so than during her "gym" years (Hard Candy to MDNA).

In fact, her gyms are the modern equivalent of her children's books, and equally interesting as well :electropop:

madonna_2004_3_getty.jpg

Those fucking Stella Boots, Stephen, Whoop !!!

I think she woke up from a fuzzy dream when the horse threw her off its back. Next thing we know she goes from feeding chicken in Vogue to wearing a pink leotard. I love American Life though.

These years are also known as the green "Argyle sweater" years

london_park_ns1.jpg

The Flat Cap , The Tartan , The turkey neck/ the hair / the dress at DAD premiere , the horrible Stella McCartney' pant suits , IGTYAS, Esther etc .

I'll just take my post from the London concert thread to this thread, since it sums up my very mixed feelings about the Esther years, and to an extent the M-Dolla years. This was originally in response to someone who opined that Guy Ritchie was to blame for her transformation into Esther the Bore.

Guy influenced her and vice versa, but ultimately, her "preachy librarian" image was a logical phase in the mellowing down process that started with Bedtime Stories and Evita, was taken to a new level during ROL and Music, and reached its pinnacle with AL and the children's books.

Firstly, she was blind drunk on Kabbalah and decided to stand on a soap box and preach it to the world. This was her priority. She was just not that interested in pushing people's sexual buttons, she was on a whole different mission.

Secondly, she wanted to look like a responsible parent to the world and prove herself she was one, so she tamed down her provocateur act and wrote a bunch of Kabbalah-soaked children's books. I think her public demeanor also stemmed from a genuine sense of wanting to protect her children.

Last but not least, she was trying to come to terms with her own fame. There was a tangible sense of an inner battle she was going through. She was too busy searching for her real identity to revel in sexuality. The process was first evident on ROL and it went on through Music and AL.

On COADF, she seemed to have found what she was looking for – she seemed to be in peace with herself both as a global superstar and a human being – and that's when she started basking in sexuality again. That was the end of Estha. Buh-bye librarian, welcome back sexually charged pop star.

The Estha era was often a bore, but there were still plenty of highlights: AL the album, Live 8, the Britney/Christina kiss, the videos for AL and Hollywood, RIT. Artistically, she was often wildly creative, much more so than during her "gym" years (Hard Candy to MDNA).

In fact, her gyms are the modern equivalent of her children's books, and equally interesting as well :electropop:

Great post!!! Very interesting perspective...and makes a lot of sense.

I would say that her gym business though is much more fitting of her overall image, particularly now...than the children's books ever were, even in the context of their era (which was odd even for that time.)

I was going to post something like this but you already summed up everything I want to say. :clap:

I don't think she pretended to be anything during this phase. It was eventually bound to happen in one way or form or another. Whether she found a different man, a change in her was expected to happen. People are complex beings. Madonna is always changing. She needed to experience this side of life as part of her evolution. Careerwise we wouldn't get gems like Gang Bang, Intervention, Miles Away, etc. if she hadn't gone through this phase.

Fans know M likes trying new things so I'm sometimes surprised to see some of the reactions towards Chickendonna. And besides, she was also bound to leave that phase of her life at some point... "There's only so much you can learn in one place."

Ew I can't believe she washed her own car

And I will never forgive whoever was responsible for the nothing fails single cover.

And I will never forgive whoever was responsible for the nothing fails single cover.

but its true what her brother said in the book

she always wairs fishnets

important stuff :newspaper:

Great analysis !! :thumbsup:

but after librarian there was one phase where she was directing a movie, or 2.

that took quite a while. she was back to old glasses and not too concerned about being sexy.

Guest Hunterlas

I love what she was doing then, and I love what shes doing now. Its all been a fantastic journey. Why the need to trash one to celebrate the other? I dont get it.

I wonder how she actually really felt inside of her when she was suppressing who she truly was as an artist this time. And also how relieved she must have felt once Confessions on A Dancefloor came around and that was like Madonna going back to basics as far as both her look and sound are concerned

She ga

I love what she was doing then, and I love what shes doing now. Its all been a fantastic journey. Why the need to trash one to celebrate the other? I dont get it.

I agree. She gave us 3 fantastic albums during this period. Music. American Life. Confessions on a Dance Floor. Let us not forget that.