Can you believe this happened?

Guest bluejean

Guest bluejean

A performance of life, only Madonna could and would get up on stage and pretend to be a female Jesus nailed to a disco ball cross with a crown of thorns and sing Live To Tell with a straight face.

Let's discuss this legendary performance and the controversy that followed it.

And remember the headlines... The Hung Up puns :lmao:

THEN they refused to show this on US TV!

And for what felt like 100 years, the most recent archived thread on this forum was "NBC undecided about Madonna crucifixion..." so anytime you scrolled down the forums for new posts that would always appear at the foot of them. :lol:

I loved when it rised on stage and getting blinded by the light reflecting from it :wow::bow:

Yes. It was a beautiful spectacle.

Remember when the rehearsal pic leaked and it was all small and wooden and some idiots had meltdowns that the tour would be crap? :rotfl:

Yes actually the crucifixion rumors alone caused the entire forum to go in an uproar!! I defended her of course, but I had to admit that it did sound a little bit "This Is Spinal Tap" on paper.

When I saw it live, it felt powerful and sincere, but it doesn't translate well on video - certainly not on the DVD. That said, it's an iconic image and a classic Madonna trolling moment. As always there was a good message hidden in there.

It's interesting how the COADF campaign was so benign and happy-go-lucky up until that point. The tour kinda turned the entire era a little more subversive with that freakish S&M opening number and the disco crucifix.

I'm not sure I agree that it doesn't translate well on film. I know that Akerlund's directorial style of the Confessions Tour film was criticised by some as being a little bit too glossy but as a Madonna tour DVD it is possibly the best we have in our collection of official releases. The "Live to Tell" performance is captured wonderfully if you ask me.

All the ingredients are there in the DVD, beautifully shot and directed to the finest detail, but for me it just didn't feel at all like it did in person. THe rest of the DVD was perfect IMO.

But yeah, I don't think any1 could have captured that performance well. I don't think it's a question of direction. Jonas did fine with that. It was really something that - FOR ME - was better live.

It truly was iconic. It still is!

No one else has balls as big as Madonna to pull something like this off.

Sadly, no one ever will.

the beginning!!!! the beginning of the song with the organ, and the cross appearing, and then when the lights exploded with the numbers and you discover what she is talking about!!!!! brilliant!!! and isky, because, let´s face it, it was a porwerful image, maybe too much for a lot of people

I wasn't a fan then when I first watched the CT DVD. But when this play, my mussy get wet. :lol: It was so powerful, beautiful, and haunting. It was simple yet captivating. Right then and there, I was so glad to discover more about Madonna and knew there was no other artist like her. EVER.

God I remember fearing for her so much, I did not like her standing there like that I kept imagining all kinds of fucked up scenarios :scared: :scared:

With all the religious nut freaks out there,I remember feeling the same way when was in Rome or Russia.If she decides to perform Live To Tell again,I dont know how she'll top this one

Guest bluejean

Remember when the rehearsal pic leaked and it was all small and wooden and some idiots had meltdowns that the tour would be crap? :rotfl:

Ooh. I can't quiet remember that, do you have the pic?