The only thing I hate about Ghosttown (is nothing because it's flawless)

What part? You could find traces of autotune on any song, DP and GT use it for deliberate effect as well.

The use of auto tune for deliberate effect is totally fine with me. But with Ghosttown (and Devil Pray for that matter) it just doesn't seem for effect, it seems like it's to fix pitch issues. Ghosttown is a simple straightforward ballad vocal, with no need for deliberate vocal effects and I don't think they were going for that. You can hear subtle use of auto tune to "correct" the pitch of her vocals all throughout the song. For example, at the beginning when she sings "everything's bound to break sooner or later" on the word "break" it's very obviously corrected.

I was told by someone in the know that this was the demo vocal track that, for time, had to be used for the final version, due to the leakage of the demos and the need to get the album finished and released quickly. I understand and accept that, I just wish that this had not been the case and she could have had time to re-record and really nail the vocal, like she usually does.

Edited by Strilo

The use of auto tune for deliberate effect is totally fine with me. But with Ghosttown (and Devil Pray for that matter) it just doesn't seem for effect, it seems like it's to fix pitch issues. Ghosttown is a simple straightforward ballad vocal, with no need for deliberate vocal effects and I don't think they were going for that. You can hear subtle use of auto tune to "correct" the pitch of her vocals all throughout the song. For example, at the beginning when she sings "everything's bound to break sooner or later" on the word "break" it's very obviously corrected.

I was told by someone in the know that this was the demo vocal track that, for time, had to be used for the final version, due to the leakage of the demos and the need to get the album finished and released quickly. I understand and accept that, I just wish that this had not been the case and she could have had time to re-record and really nail the vocal, like she usually does.

Yeah that was the bit I thought was for effect cuz it's so damn glaring.. and wasn't it on the line break to show her voice stuttering and thus breaking? "ooooohhhh" on DP as well is the other one.

The only thing I ain't keen on about it is the static at the start though I know why it's there. Works much better on Erotica, even if it's also unnecessary.

Guest Pud Whacker

Is the way it is spelt.

I can't get over it.

tumblr_lppyb5nOg61qaclw9.gif

Someone explain to me why it is spelt that way?

Is it a proper noun?

Is Ghosttown a place?

well i hate how auto correct suggests that it should be GHOSTING!!!

:rotfl:

• 3 months later...

The only thing I hate is the tiny trace of auto tune on her vocal. Not for cool synth effect, which I'm fine with, but to fix off key singing. We all know she can sing it right without any help, so take the time to do that! Other than that, I love Ghosttown. My favorite song on Rebel Heart, I think.

I thought it was a vocoder, at least going by the wiki page, which is actually a specific effect. It is autotune that is the plug in for vocal correction.

Edited by elayman

Don't like the autotune, but love the song nevertheless.

It might be intentional, because they used it for some live renditions,but it sounds amateurish on the "break" line, although it makes sense with that word.

It simply doesn't fit to a ballad like this.

Its my favorite track still I have to agree I m not keen on vocoder or autotune. I get Nobody's perfect flashbacks..

And the overproduced sound of the synths in the first couple of bars? it ís intentional right?

but .... played it over 2hundred times //so it must be good : ))))

mmmm mmmm yeAHhh perfect, perfect, perfect, perfect [repeat]

• 2 months later...