Do you remember when charts didn't matter to you?

mtzlplk

I only became a chart fanatic in 1987, between Who's That Girl and Causing A Commotion... In retrospect, I have enjoyed her first three massive albums without even obsessing about charts and just enjoyed the music and videos with my brother and sister... It really feels great to just enjoy the music, especially REBEL HEART because it is just a great album...

They still matter and not only for me...for media too even though they don't see times have changed and also rules. It's not the same what people did for Elvis, Madonna, The Beatles, Michael Jackson including radio. Nowadays is a different story but how can you explain that to this generation?

I have an idea where you're coming from Carboy dear but I am talking about whether there are some of us here who have enjoyed a MADONNA era in the past with no other concerns before like charts but only enjoying the music, the look, the videos, the promo etc... It made me realize how enjoyable that was, enjoying the first three albums with no chart worries whatsoever...

Believe it or not, I don't have any idea how huge those three albums were in other countries... Looking back, it was really, really fun

Those albums were really huge. Thanks to them she became in a megastar. But Rebel Heart is a great album. If it had been released in the 80s she'd have achieved a lot of hits with it. Charts are a mess nowadays. Maybe I say it for my disappointment but I still think that listen to a song on radio which played a lot of many and different songs every hour and made people go out of house to buy a single to a record store was worthy...Anyway, times have changed...perhaps for worst

I still don't care about the charts xo

I feel envy for you ;)

However, charts were a passionate world for me in the 80s. Now (not only for Madonna) is a real mess

It's not about the charts and never has been! Into the Groove should have proven that a long time ago.

Absolutely agree. Into the Groove didn't fit with the shitty Billboard rules at that time

Madonna is probably the only artist i love and follow who charts but i"ve never been curious about her chart positions because she's mine and when i heard she was number one it felt like she was no longer mine only :laugh:

Guest Rocco Papa

I don't care about the charts. At this point, Madonna has had enough hit singles and albums. Her legacy and reputation is cemented so that she never has to get another hit again. If your singles and albums have all been hits for 30 years straight, I think you can put out albums that don't sell well without it being the end of the world. If people get upset about charts or sales now, it will ruin a truly great era for them.

I'm just happy that she's put out the best album she's made in a while, with tons of amazing promo, and a world tour to look forward to! After the microscopic amount of promo she did for MDNA, this is a nice change! It doesn't matter to me if this album isn't a significant commercial success, because this era has been amazing as it is. :)

i didn't care at all when she got #1's and played everywhere like it was the most normal thing in the world. i took it for granted, really. because now we have to do a lot just to get one play by request on the radio (and even then some often kindly tell you to fuck off or wait a few days when "they feel" like playing it)

its not even about charts to me, i just want people to hear her beautiful music. and the unfairness

and i also hate how billboard is ruining the industry with their shitty streaming rules. and interesting how they made the new rule around the time of the M leaks, hmm.. they repeat shitty chart stats on their twitter & conveniently not allow or allow new rules to suit who they like (see album of gaga BTW charting when they sold it for 99cents and then a week later changing their rule so other artists couldn't use the same tactic. or the dope thing)

when Madonna, Like A Virgin and True Blue came out, i was just 9-12 yo that's why i was oblivious to all these chart actions... we don't even know if she's hitting #1 or anything like that it wasn't even a concern... back then, it was pure unadulterated fun of enjoying the artist and her music... i guess, only a few of us here went through that...

I never really cared about charts that's why when i learned later that Material girl never reached No 1 and the whole time I was thinking it was, I am simply surprised primarily because the song was so huge back then and I'm simply appalled that it was not a # 1 song.

But then again M's songs are oh so memorable that it did not matter if it charted or not.

During the Erotica era I am not even minding the fact that there was a backlash I simply enjoyed the era.

And I guess just like now I'm enjoying the Rebel Heart era, I am just too entertained and amused to bother with chart significance.

I would have loved for her songs to be charting but M is too interesting and fascinating for me to moan and gloat if her songs/albums did not chart.

Hate me for this but when COADF came out she set the charts ON FIRE. The album didn't feature on year-end charts as heavily because it sold in 2005 AND 2006 - it was absolutely massive, debuted No.1 everywhere. It was in an essence, much bigger than anything she had released since the 90's (given how sales have diminished over the years)

Hard Candy was quite exciting in the charts as well, although to a lesser extent. MDNA and RH, well... we all know what happened.

I don't care about the charts. At this point, Madonna has had enough hit singles and albums. Her legacy and reputation is cemented so that she never has to get another hit again. If your singles and albums have all been hits for 30 years straight, I think you can put out albums that don't sell well without it being the end of the world. If people get upset about charts or sales now, it will ruin a truly great era for them.

I'm just happy that she's put out the best album she's made in a while, with tons of amazing promo, and a world tour to look forward to! After the microscopic amount of promo she did for MDNA, this is a nice change! It doesn't matter to me if this album isn't a significant commercial success, because this era has been amazing as it is. :)

I'm with Rocco.

US charts stopped matter to me when rnb was trendy and I didnt know half the artists on the top ten. That's like 13 years ago. UK charts stopped matter when they got full of unknown girls and groups from TV contests, especially five years ago.

I guess I simply got old hahaha. But to be fair years ago a top ten in USA was famous allover the world but now they are incredibly local. I recall when I read headlines about Kanye and didn't know who he was. In fact I cant name three songs from Kanye

Madonna's ability to continuously impact the mainstream charts and always be current, successfully competing with the flavor of the month pop girls is part of why she's still here 30 years later. It is why people have always been in awe of her. Yes, it matters. I don't want this to ever stop.

well,she 's a pop artist,so...for me her charts performances are important,because they use anything to go against her,and at least so far the charts weren't one of the things to attack her.well,until a few years ago.

When people would call her irrelevant and other crap she always had this big 'lol FUCK YOU' to throw in their face because of her consistent commercial success and it also gave me as a fan something to defend her with. Now because of really shitty circumstances things are different and I can't go around trying to explain in detail to every single loser what actually happened. It's...irritating, to say the least.

also, back in the day, in my case, late 1989-1990-1991, people around me used to say that she was crap, and I used to tell them that I wasn´t alone in lioking her, that a lot of people like her! look at the charts! a lot of peole love her!!! jeeesus! the life of a teenage boy in a small town inthe pre internet era was afwull!

when Madonna, Like A Virgin and True Blue came out, i was just 9-12 yo that's why i was oblivious to all these chart actions... we don't even know if she's hitting #1 or anything like that it wasn't even a concern... back then, it was pure unadulterated fun of enjoying the artist and her music... i guess, only a few of us here went through that...

You were a late bloomer, mtzlplk! I've been a chart fanatic since I was 9 and have collected them and checked them every single week since then (I even subscribe to the official ARIA Australian charts and have been receiving the full report weekly since the early 90s). I also have countless chart anthologies from the US, Australia and the UK, and I even used to pay for an online subscription to Billboard Magazine's charts back in the late 90s (when they didn't offer free access) - a friend and I used to be responsible for reporting on Madonna's entries on all of the various Billboard charts to the Madonna Mailing List (hello to anyone who was on that amazing list!). It was brilliant when Madonna was highly competitive on the charts (1984 to 2009), and it's sad for me that those days have come to an end, because I loved that two of my passions overlapped. I've been a chart watcher since before Madonna hit the charts here in Australia (a sad "party trick" of mine is being able to name what was #1 in a given month of any year in Australia from the early 80s through to the early 2000s - sadly, I'm not exaggerating...!).