Madonna at Tidal presentation [merged]

It was always gonna work in Spotify's favour anyway. Any marketeer worth their salt would have seen the red flags the minute it was revealed how they were planning to launch it.

As for the actual business model itself, I don't think audiophiles are sufficiently interested in streaming media in big enough numbers enough for them to care about any such platform in the first place, and the majority of people who are into streaming, aren't that concerned about 1400kb/sec CD quality or not. As for the poor starving artists like Riri and Minaj and even our own beloved M...well boo fuckin' hoo is the majority opinion that I've seen both online and in real life, that's just the way it is, rightly or wrongly.

Personally I found the $19.99 and £19.99 pricepoints annoying as well. Exchange rate anyone? I'll rip my own CDs thanks... if I'm that concerned about FLACS and WAVES.

Another "game-changer" that wasn't thought through properly, and that O$eary jumped on.

I wonder how fast M sold her shares :lmao:I can see her leaving that tidal signing and just screaming at her broker SELL SELL SELL!!!

It was always gonna work in Spotify's favour anyway. Any marketeer worth their salt would have seen the red flags the minute it was revealed how they were planning to launch it.

As for the actual business model itself, I don't think audiophiles are sufficiently interested in streaming media in big enough numbers enough for them to care about any such platform in the first place, and the majority of people who are into streaming, aren't that concerned about 1400kb/sec CD quality or not. As for the poor starving artists like Riri and Minaj and even our own beloved M...well boo fuckin' hoo is the majority opinion that I've seen both online and in real life, that's just the way it is, rightly or wrongly.

Personally I found the $19.99 and £19.99 pricepoints annoying as well. Exchange rate anyone? I'll rip my own CDs thanks... if I'm that concerned about FLACS and WAVES.

Another "game-changer" that wasn't thought through properly, and that O$eary jumped on.

Fucked over again. :rolleyes: As if iTunes wasn't bad enough.

I hope that Jay-z and Beyonce album is consequently a miserable flop. :lmao:

This is true. But has Guy O. really his hands in it? Isn't he a big time investor in Spotify?

I'm not sure but the fact Madonna was featured heavily in the promo and at the actual launch makes me think they had more than just a finger in the pie.

I heard spotify gives almost nothing to the artists. spotify is FREE. yes they got paid members but not enough to cover up the losses artists make of not getting $/song.

Taylor Swift took all her stuff off Spotify. :sassy:

They can only give back what they earn. And if most of your customers are only using the free of charge version of your product then hardly any money is left to share once they have deducted all their costs from the revenues they make from advertising.

Free of charge is the reason for their "success" and that's alarming because it is business model that only works at the expense of some people involved. And those are the artists. Spotify probably believes that giving artists, especially young, unknown artists a platform is enough of a reward. Why pay them? The most laughable thing I read a few days ago was that Spotify is worth more than the whole recording industry. Allegedly 8 billion dollars. I guess those evaluations come from investment banks already preparing the IPO. Once again there is this huge number that is not based on any reasonable figure. Like revenue or profit. It's the same shit going on when Twitter went public. "Worth" a few bllion and has yet to file one cent of profit. How the rules of capitalism have changed. Working profitable? Who cares? All what counts is your market capitalization. It's all a big fraud with a few people cashing in big time. Sooner or later, Twitter, Facebook, Uber, AirBnB or those social media and shared economy companies will fail because the products they offer are just not that profitable to justify their worth. Of course, thanks to the billions they made from IPOs and other funding they have now bought companies that actually produce something to safe their asses when their main business falters. This system stinks. But back to Spotify at its bigger worth than the whole recording industry. Well, let's see what happens if performing rights organizations revoke the licences for their artists all of a sudden and just because they can. What is Spotify going to stream?

Of course, todays customers that want everything for free without even thinking who is going to pay for all of this are lashing out at TIDAL because they have no free version. Although it has been properly explained why. Instead they attack Jay-Z and others because they are rich. I guess the overall ignorance about this topic is working very much in favor of Spotify. And I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the articles about TIDALs failure and the tweets attacking TIDAL are coming from sources related to Spotify or another competitor.

THIS.

There was a songwriter recently on Bill Maher's show who was interviewed about this very subject. He's one of the few leading the charge on waking people up to how the tech companies are taking over the industry, and leaving the artists in the dust (predominately the artists not in the top tier...but to a certain degree, them too). How he explained the whole system from an artist/songwriter/producer point of view was just devastating. It's amazing how many really don't know how the actual content creators, ie. the artists/writers, really are being taken advantage of. It's ugly...and the future of music, and other forms of commercial arts, doesn't look good.

Yep.... but I think it had potential. The site was actually pretty damn cool.

I think that whole launch, the promo, etc.....it was the absolute worst tactic they could have used right out of the gate. Left the wrong taste in people's mouths...

(though we got a great Madonna moment out of it.)

THIS.

There was a songwriter recently on Bill Maher's show who was interviewed about this very subject. He's one of the few leading the charge on waking people up to how the tech companies are taking over the industry, and leaving the artists in the dust (predominately the artists not in the top tier...but to a certain degree, them too). How he explained the whole system from an artist/songwriter/producer point of view was just devastating. It's amazing how many really don't know how the actual content creators, ie. the artists/writers, really are being taken advantage of. It's ugly...and the future of music, and other forms of commercial arts, doesn't look good.

Was it Aloe Blacc? He had a hit 'Wake Me Up' with Avicii. Here he is on Bill Maher talking about this subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1-nv4pnPUw

His op-ed in Wired magazine on the ethics of music streaming services like Spotify and Pandora.

As often as I admittedly use their products, the tech industry as a whole (in its current state) can wither and die. It's decidedly anti-content, and all about the next gadget/toy they can convince people to overspend on. I'm really sounding bitter here, but fuck it.

EDIT: While I appreciate the notion of putting sound quality forward...CD level quality (for those who care) is EVERYWHERE. THEY'RE CALLED CDS

im surprised no one has made a sound quality higher than cd yet. I mean vinyl is higher quality than CD and that technology is super old. With computers you'd think it would've happened by now. Now if Tidal had done that, they would have gotten every audiophile onboard.

I heard spotify gives almost nothing to the artists. spotify is FREE. yes they got paid members but not enough to cover up the losses artists make of not getting $/song.

ok, I see raider of the lost ark already explained it :) and much better than myself

Those of us who don't want to pay for Spotify just have to listen to ads every few songs, that's how they make their money

Guest eroticerotic

Did Tidal every speak on behalf of indie artists, who truly make nothing? They are the future of the music industry. If Tidal's focus was on already established acts, then of course no one's going to take it seriously. If Tidal reforms now to now also benefit indie artists, it would have already put a bad taste in the general public's mouths.

The future of the music industry lies in the hands of the indie artists.

I signed up for the free 30 days when it came out. I unsubscribed the day I signed up and so I still have it free until the 30th.

However, today Tidal emailed me to say they acknowledged I'd tried to unsubscribed but I'd need to check my iTunes subscription settings as it is iTunes and not Tidal that takes the payments. Sure enough, I was still signed up with iTunes for them to take a whopping 25.99 starting the 30th!

I'd of been one pissed off bitch had that money went through! In the space of a month, I've used Tidal twice, I just can't be bothered with it..

I just read Jay Z paid 56 million for Tidal. So I wonder, does that mean that Madonna paid 3% of that 56, since she owns 3%?

I doubt she paid anything. I bet they had to pay her something to get her catalog on there. That or it was just an even trade = music for publicity and exclusive content rights to future stuff. However, Madonna (despite recent commercial missteps) is still one of the industry's most powerful players. Besides, there are all kinds of escape clauses and shit that major artists get for these types of deals. Even Madonna's Live Nation contract reportedly had a clause that she was under NO requirement to tour - even though touring was the major reason she signed it and the primary revenue stream.

Don't cry for Madonna. She's smart and even if it doesn't work out, she's not going to be wearing potato sacks any time soon.

Tidal is doing just fine. We have over 770,000 subs. We have been in business less than one month. #TidalFacts

The iTunes Store wasn't built in a day. It took Spotify 9 years to be successful…

Rich getting richer? Equity values... YouTube $390 billion. Apple $760 billion. Spotify $8 billion. Tidal $60 million. #TidalFacts

http://time.com/3836120/jay-z-tidal-spotify-itunes-twitter/

• 2 weeks later...

Noel Gallagher. Sorry can't bold out the thing he said about Madonna.

You've said in the past that you want people to own music instead of stream it. What's your take on Tidal?

[Long pause] I thought that the people on the stage might want to be a little bit aware that they don't look like Jay Z's minions. Madonna was pretty cool the way she cocked her leg up on that desk and signed the [declaration]. I think ultimately with the spiel they came out with, it was like, "Do these people think they're the fuckin' Avengers? They're going to save the fuckin' [world]." I was speaking to Chris [Martin] the day after, and I said, "Are you after a Nobel Peace Prize? Is that what you're after?" They were like, "We're going to fuckin' save the music business." And I'm just sitting there, thinking [imitates smoking weed] you might want to write a decent chorus for a fuckin' start. Never mind fuckin' royalties and the "power of music." Write a tune. Fuckin' start with that.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/noel-gallagher-sounds-off-on-tidal-zayn-malik-and-same-sex-marriage-20150505#ixzz3ZQwlSAvs

Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

The only thing people will remember of Tidal is M's leg up while signing. She knew it was a possibility perhaps, so she decided to take the matters at hand and make it all something people will remember. Of hers, of course. Smart girl!

Do people worship money so much that they don't care about screwing over people who have it? I think it's sad that entities can profit off of people's ignorance and weaknesses. They are getting rich off helping the"poor little people" screw over successful artists although it is not advertised as such.

I think it's wrong to judge how much respect someone deserves based on how much money they have or make and it goes both ways.

How can people not want to support the artists?