Madonna at Tidal presentation [merged]

So... have you joined Tidal? I just left Spotify. I like the idea (and design) of Tidal. I truly hope it will become a new flexible and creative platform for all kind of artists. If all those artists (owners) decide to leave Spotify, it will be chaos at first.

So... have you joined Tidal? I just left Spotify. I like the idea (and design) of Tidal. I truly hope it will become a new flexible and creative platform for all kind of artists. If all those artists (owners) decide to leave Spotify, it will be chaos at first.

I'm not joining and won't leave spotify.

All these singers who own Tidal already have enough money and I guess other artists won't really get much more money for their music compared to other streaming services, because after all everything depends on the contract between artist and record label, not those sites.

Where are the "smaller" musicians who could really benefit from this?

I'm not joining and won't leave spotify.

All these singers who own Tidal already have enough money and I guess other artists won't really get much more money for their music compared to other streaming services, because after all everything depends on the contract between artist and record label, not those sites.

Where are the "smaller" musicians who could really benefit from this?

^This is the same reaction that most of my friends have. Some of them are really impressed about the quality of sound though (and that's the main thing about Tidal.).

We'll see. I don't think they have revealed all their cards yet.

really??? what kind of backlash??

and is anybody here using it?

The general response this is getting is not great, the people being all up in arms about it "THESE GREEDY FILTHY RICH PEOPLE want more money!, no thanks I like my free streaming!" as if once you're filthy rich you should just start working for free or something lol

Don't care either way I never even used spotify.

The general response this is getting is not great, the people being all up in arms about it "THESE GREEDY FILTHY RICH PEOPLE want more money!, no thanks I like my free streaming!" as if once you're filthy rich you should just start working for free or something lol

Yeah, that is a weird statement. I'm sick with people who think art should be free for everyone.

Spotify gives $0.006 to $0.0084 per stream (source) while the website has annual revenues around 1 billion. Maybe these singers have "enough money" but it's not a reason for them to get robbed by the streaming websites! ;)

Spotify gives $0.006 to $0.0084 per stream (source) while the website has annual revenues around 1 billion. Maybe these singers have "enough money" but it's not a reason for them to get robbed by the streaming websites! ;)

But does Tidal give more money per stream? We don't know that yet, right?

As I said, it also depends on the record label.

Edited by Illuminati

But does Tidal give more money per stream? We don't know that yet, right?

As I said, it also depends on the record label.

We don't know yet but the press says that Tidal is own by artists (at least Jay-Z), so there's no company in between to take billions with their music!

And you're right, it depends also on the record companies, but many artists supporting Tidal are in charge of their career and don't depend on their record companies (Madonna is the best example of them all, of course).

We don't know yet but the press says that Tidal is own by artists (at least Jay-Z), so there's no company in between to take billions with their music!

And you're right, it depends also on the record companies, but many artists supporting Tidal are in charge of their career and don't depend on their record companies (Madonna is the best example of them all, of course).

Yes, it seems Jay-Z owns the majority and the 16 others own 3% each. At least that's what I read somewhere.

I think people don´t really know how much work is behind the music. I talked to a teenager the other day, and he was surprised that I pay for music.Why? did he ask me: music it´s simple, they play it once, it´s recorded and that´s it!! :mellow:

I think people don´t really know how much work is behind the music. I talked to a teenager the other day, and he was surprised that I pay for music.Why? did he ask me: music it´s simple, they play it once, it´s recorded and that´s it!! :mellow:

:mellow: I know. Can't get over the amount of people that expect music to be free for them to own. People should not be concentrating on the "filthy rich" stars as they say, but the musicians, producers, song writers etc as well that are not filthy rich. They also deserve to be payed and earn good money for their efforts.

:mellow: I know. Can't get over the amount of people that expect music to be free for them to own. People should not be concentrating on the "filthy rich" stars as they say, but the musicians, producers, song writers etc as well that are not filthy rich. They also deserve to be payed and earn good money for their efforts.

yes!!! even the people that are not directly related to the music, but are there too: or do we expect Prince to carry his guitars? Rihanna to take the pictures of her covers?madonna to heat the coffee that she drinks while she´s on the studio? Jay Z to keep everything clean??? there are a lot of workers there

I'm not surprised by the backlash.

I watched the press event twice and kept thinking WTF? They were acting as if they just found the cure for aids, cancer and every other disease as well as ending hunger and poverty world wide. A revolution? Changing the course of music forever? Seriously?

I get the idea behind Tidal but that press event was way over the top. Always emphasizing "artist owned" when it's really just a group of well established multi- millionaires that co-own parts of the company.

They should have gone into detail regarding the supposed advantages this service brings to ALL artists and fans on the platform.

But the way they set up this event was just embarrassing imo.

I don't understand the backlash. People rather support a big commercial company like Deezer & Spotify than actual artists ? They don't do it for themself only. The amount artists receive from streaming is insulting. Do people know how many little labels closed down because of streaming ? How people expect young artists to earn a living if we let Deezer&Spotify dictate how music must be accessed ? And how much msicians must be paid (nothing) What would be great is if Tidal becomes a label as well with exclusive new artists being promoted like on bandcamp. The real enemy is not the artists but Deezer, Itunes, Spotify and all these greedy companies. If you accept that you don't have to pay for music then why should anyone pay you for your work ? This mentality has already fucked up my business (journalism) and it's spreading. they may be billionaires but they are workers, they are taking charge of their own company and not let middle men making profit on their work and dictate what they should be earning for their work. People are just stupid, they are blinded by bitterness and hatred, yes they are billionaires but they worked for it, What does Deezer & Spotify do to earn the money ? They make money on the back of other people's work and by giving cheap service. I'd rather my money go into Jay Z's pocket than in Spotify CEO's.

The problem is that they didn't really talk about their aims though. It's not even clear in interviews with Jay-Z for example.

We can talk about and discuss this, because we try to understand it, but the general public may not understand what they are aiming for. They see a bunch of BIG names and that musicians should get more money for their music, but it doesn't get clear how this works.

Don't get me wrong - I want to pay for my music. I buy my favourite stuff on CD and vinyl and I have a spotify premium account to listen on my computer and I discovered so much through that.

Guest Medoner

I watched the press event twice and kept thinking WTF? They were acting as if they just found the cure for aids, cancer and every other disease as well as ending hunger and poverty world wide. A revolution? Changing the course of music forever? Seriously?

I get the idea behind Tidal but that press event was way over the top. Always emphasizing "artist owned" when it's really just a group of well established multi- millionaires that co-own parts of the company.

They should have gone into detail regarding the supposed advantages this service brings to ALL artists and fans on the platform.

Well said.

The music landscape has also changed immensely over the past couple of decades and years. These days everyone and their mother can download software and buy equipment to create their own music. Everyone has access to making stuff and putting it online and up for sale. The market has expanded rapidly with a varrying amount of talent, some mediocre and some game changers, but it's increasingly harder to make a name for yourself.

On top of that styles are changing faster and faster, there are no really big trends but more a big melting pot of movements from which you can pick and choose, everyone is also their own radio dj, and people tend to get bored faster and faster, so while years ago an album was an event, nowadays it's all about singles, soundbites and quick success and when it's over, it's over and people move on. Instant gratification. People don't seem to be interested in concepts and big pictures anymore, they just want the perfect song to fit their current mood. Music has been reduced to a live on the go soundtrack to your life, all documented on FB and other social media. My song for running in the gym, riding my bike, cooking dinner, that awfull break-up or a hot date. And when the event is over and the song is played it's discarded, tossed aside, waiting for the next moment.

Back in the day songs created emotions, got wedged into the brain. You knew and remembered the time and place you were when a new Madonna or Michael Jackson video was premiered or played on the radio for the first time. Those moments are rare in these current times. I wonder how they'll try and get that momentum back, because it seems nearly impossible... BUT, a lot of those artists on Tidal and on that stage are people who do manage to hold your attention at least a little longer then many of the run of the mill flavors of the week, so I'm hopeful that their creativity will inspire eachother to take their projects to the next level!

Guest PRPapi

PRPapi, she's open and ready for you to justify her love, Mr. Erection.

HAHA! She SOOOO totally is! DAMN, how I WISH I was that table!!! She must smell SO good! ;)

"That's just...noise."

Guest PRPapi

PRPapi, she's open and ready for you to justify her love, Mr. Erection.

HAHA! She SOOOO totally is! DAMN, how I WISH I was that table!!! She must smell SO good! ;)

I had a co-worker who pirated EVERYTHING he could get his hands on. He was a big "Information wants to be FREE" schmuck. Since he was in graphic design, I inquired if he wanted to churn out his work for no or reduced pay. It didn't go well after that.

Exactly. I recall the meltdown after megaupload closed. I wondered then if people worked for free in their real lives

It really is an uphill battle for them. A whole generation has grown under the understanding that music is for free, so it is going to take a hell of a lot of reprogramming people's minds into the idea of paying for it. And this whole Hifi thing, people do not really care, how many can really tell the difference in sound using cheap earbuds? The pretentious presentation of Tidal did not help their cause either, as has been stated.

Here´s a link to a nice article I read yesterday about Tidal: http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/723-tidal-and-the-elusive-promise-of-streaming-music/. It basically agrees with what is being discussed here in this topic, but also agrees that the most important thing that Tidal offers is not the streaming itself, but the fact that it puts back into conversation the idea of art as a commodity and how it should be valued/purchased.