Rebel Heart or Confessions on a Dance Floor?

Most reviews are hailing RH as her "best album in a decade," going back to Confessions. The implication being that it is not as good as Confessions but better than the two albums subsequent to it.

For better or worse, COADF is now officially a landmark that most reviewers will use (similar to Bowie's Scary Monsters).

So anyway, do you think RH is better than COAD? Which album do you prefer?

1. Like a Prayer

2. Ray of Light

3. Music

4. Erotica

5. Confessions on a Dance Floor

6. Rebel Heart

7. American Life

8. Bedtime Stories

9. Madonna

10. Like a Virgin

11. MDNA

12. True Blue

13. Hard Candy

I think.

I like Rebel Heart much more. Confessions was fresh air after the kaballism and bitterness of menopause, but to be fair half the album isn't as good as the other half. RH is more consistent and the creativity is far more evident.

1. Living For Love vs Hung Up

2. Devil Pray vs Get Together

3. Ghosttown vs Sorry

4. Unapologetic Bitch vs Future Lovers

5. Illuminati vs I Love New York

6. Bitch I'm Madonna vs Let It Will Be

7. Hold Tight vs Forbidden Love

8. Joan Of Arc vs Jump

9. Iconic vs How High

10. HeartBreakCity vs Isaac

11. Body Shop vs Push

12. Holy Water vs Like It Or Not

13. Inside Out vs Fighting Spritit

14. Wash All Over Me vs. Superpop

15. Best Night vs History

16. Veni Vidi Vici

17. S.E.X.

18. Messiah

19. Rebel Heart

RH=15 vs COADF=4

Confessions is nothing but a cute cohesive record with 3 of her all-time best (Hung Up, Get Together, Forbidden Love), a couple of nice tracks and the remains are fillers with cold vocals.

Try listen to I Love New York/Like It Or Not/Push/How High together with the Rebel Heart tracks and you'll realize how basic they are. #sorrynotsorry

Rebel Heart is a much more dynamic record with heart and soul. Its flow is clunky at parts but overall it has a cohesive attitude and sound of duality which is basically its theme.

Confessions is a control freak and Rebel Heart is a messy bipolar emotional badass bitch

I prefer Messidonna.

Rebel Heart > Hard Candy > Confessions

Let me flush myself now.

Rebel Heart is technically the better album in terms of quality of individual tracks but it really lacks cohesion as someone already pointed out. I'm not too sure about the sequencing either beyond Unapologetic Bitch. There are a lot of fillers on RH too...it could have done without Illuminati, Body Shop and S.E.X. The fillers are not on par with the stronger songs and detract from the overall quality of the album. I'd rather have 10 - 14 great tracks as opposed to 19 tracks that range from the brilliant to the unnecessary. Madonna's most successful albums have always been cohesive and consistent. Check Madonna, True Blue, LAP, ROL, and Confessions. So in terms of overall execution and concept, I think Confessions is actually better than Rebel Heart.

Rebel Heart >>> COADF

I feel like Rebel Heart is the album we should have got after American Life.

1. Ray Of Light

2. Like A Prayer

3. True Blue

4. American Life

5. Bedtime Stories

6. Rebel Heart

7. Erotica

8. Music

9. Madonna

10. COADF

11. Like A Virgin

12. MDNA

13. Hard Candy

Rebel Heart has many, many better songs than Confessions. It has better lyrics, better melodies, and a lot more soul.

Yet there's definite merit (and a little bit of voodoo) in having tapped into the cultural zeitgeist to produce Confessions, an album that is at once old-school and futuristic, dark but celebratory, expansive but cohesive; and which packed four absolute stellar singles and a bunch of immaculate album tracks (Future Lovers, Forbidden Love, Let it Will Be, Isaac, Like it or Not).

So while I personally prefer RH at the moment, some time will have to pass before RH can truly dethrone Confessions as the better album.

Also, just the sheer amount of tracks on RH, its multiple versions, and the fact that some of the best tracks were relegated to the Super Extra Gravity Deluxe Edition make it difficult for me to say it's a better album :smile: It's a better collection of songs, but a better album? Time will tell.

I can't really tell at this moment, RH is still so new 4 me.

This, also, the albums are so different. One things for clear, RH could never replace the memories I have with COADF, and I'm sure there's great memories to come with RH, but at the moment it's so new, and I won't be seeing her until December!

Rebel Heart has many, many better songs than Confessions. It has better lyrics, better melodies, and a lot more soul.

Yet there's definite merit (and a little bit of voodoo) in having tapped into the cultural zeitgeist to produce Confessions, an album that is at once old-school and futuristic, dark but celebratory, expansive but cohesive; and which packed four absolute stellar singles and a bunch of immaculate album tracks (Future Lovers, Forbidden Love, Let it Will Be, Isaac, Like it or Not).

So while I personally prefer RH at the moment, some time will have to pass before RH can truly dethrone Confessions as the better album.

Also, just the sheer amount of tracks on RH, its multiple versions, and the fact that some of the best tracks were relegated to the Super Extra Gravity Deluxe Edition make it difficult for me to say it's a better album :smile: It's a better collection of songs, but a better album? Time will tell.

This x 1 000 000

I fucking love Confessions, tracks like HU, Sorry, Let it Will Be, Forbidden Love, Get Together, How High are EVERYTHING. It's just that Rebel Heart has that little something that none of her albums have had in ages, warmth. And for that alone, it wins.

I fucking love Confessions, tracks like HU, Sorry, Let it Will Be, Forbidden Love, Get Together, How High are EVERYTHING. It's just that Rebel Heart has that little something that none of her albums have had in ages, warmth. And for that alone, it wins.

Amen. The coldness of Music and Confessions is what keeps me from 100% loving them.

Agree with you on that. There is a lot of heart in RH.

Guest ziggy

COADF is a career defining masterpiece. Rebel Heart has nothing on it.

RH is a revitalising artistic comeback after ten clueless years, but it is not the destined-to-be classic that COADF is. I think Madsder herself would agree with me – she has not made it a secret that RH is not what she wanted it to be.