WHAT ABOUT: Madonna Rising VH1 Special

Guest Rocco Papa

I remember seeing this when MTV and VH1 used to dedicate weeks to Madonna during ROL, Beautiful Strange and Music era.

This brings me back! I was in high school during this era. I still remember buying the CD and hating it! I only listened to Frozen and Sky Fits Heaven. I didn't understand it at all. I was very disappointed.

A few years later, I randomly played it during college one day after hearing Power of Goodbye on the radio....CLICK....and totally understood. There's not a month that goes by now that I don't play it in full.

I LOVE this. It's one of my fav specials of her... Her early days is one of my fav Madonna eras.

Does anyone have this in HQ? I've been looking for ages.

And let's not forget Kathy Griffin's hilarious account of it!!

"DO YOU REMEMBER MEEEE???" :lmao:

It's interesting to see long before the "Lady Of The Manor" years she was already being called out for speaking with a British accent.

A question about Part 2: I'm looking for the original Star Motel: I've been in that street, but I haven't found it, although in the documentary Mad and Rupert have just crossed.

Is there some pictures, especially of those early years?

LOVE it! If i could go back in time I'd try to hang out with her in her pre fame NYC days :dramatic:

Same here! If I could be transported back in time to any Madonna era, it would be from about '81-'85.

I hope one of these days some footage from those early performances will surface. There is a picture of her in the rare pics thread and it looks like she's basically seducing a guy in the front row at one of her pre fame gigs. I would love to have been at one of those performances!

Great documentary

I loved her going back to the actual physical places in NYC where it all started for her

The Music Building!

I've always been fascinated by her 78-81 pre solo deal phase. NY, Paris, London, New York

Also enjoyed Rupert's presence in it

Kathy Griffin? :semifunny:

The "Madonna British Accent" jokes have always been so lame in general. It's funny once or twice but after a while it becomes predictable and boring and they were already tired by 1999. People will change accent and speaking tone when they move places. Besides Madonna has always articulated words clearly which doesn't equate with having a Br E pronunication per se