Is RH the new Erotica?

In terms of music, I don't think so. Erotica was so edgy/gritty and cool. I don't get that sense with most of RH. I actually think RH is quite safe sounding.

stop comparing. it's just another Madonna album that's brilliant. It falls in the HARD CANDY/MDNA cateogory of appealing to current young demographic and challenging AGEISM. She is GOD

stop comparing. it's just another Madonna album that's brilliant. It falls in the HARD CANDY/MDNA cateogory of appealing to current young demographic and challenging AGEISM. She is GOD

Why do some keep saying that she is appealing to the current young demographic? How is she doing that? Madonna has always made modern Dance/pop music is not like she was Celine Dion and all of the sudden desided to jump into Dance. I don't get it.

Yes it is. It has the same atmosphere, incredibly variety, weird decisions that in the long time were right, main public passing (but later will claim it) and many fans moaning.

Her voice is incredibly Erotica too in parts. Sweet sometimes, hard other times, the whisper is identical.

I have to agree that the "dark", R&B, house sound of RH is reminiscent of Erotica and there is some similarity in some of the images. It has some of the vulnerability of Bedtime Stories, a bit of wisdom/introspection of ROL and a dash of the acoustic sounds of AL.

It aint like Erotica. Erotica was drowned into the controversy of the book. Lots of people loved it and a lot hated it. For me personally it was a let down.

It definitely doesn't feel like AL. The album was disliked by most critics AND fans as far as I remember (and by me too). It was only after that most fans liked it.

For now RH seems critically acclaimed and universally loved by the fans. There seem to be disagreement if LFL was the right choice as 1st single. There seem to be an indifference by the general public. I feel RH would go down as one of her strongest albums ever. E and AL seem to still divide the people.

The biggest comparison I could make between RH and Erotica is that RH is the first album since Erotica that I have loved to this degree. :yes:

I don't think the eras are similar - there was a huge backlash against her during the Erotica/SEX period and the album unfortunately and unfairly suffered because of it. This era I think she is getting a lot of critical acclaim for the most part . I will say though that the mixture of tough, direct, in your -face songs juxtaposed with the vulnerable, romantic ones does remind me of the Erotica album a bit .

I have to say, I think her hooks, melodies and bridges on RH completely slaughter Erotica.....yep, I went there. :) In that regard, Erotica was a step down from her 80's glory. RH has some of her strongest since the 80's IMO.

The biggest comparison I could make between RH and Erotica is that RH is the first album since Erotica that I have loved to this degree. :yes:

Oh, me too! I thought i was the only one that had this album better than anything released since 1992

Oh, me too! I thought i was the only one that had this album better than anything released since 1992

:tigger: It's the whole reason I'm fawning over her like a teenage queen again. :lol:

Sonically this album feels a little like a modern version of Erotica , but it has hints of ROL and AL and BS. Some of the imagery feels Erotica such as the font on the album and the cover of the Super Deluxe.

I do think that this will be an album like Erotica that will be seen in a better and better light as time goes on an a important Madonna album.

Guest ziggy

In regards to her image, position in the pop culture landscape, and the promo tools she's using, this era is almost eerily reminiscent of Bedtime Stories: recovering from a backlash and being on a charm offensive in order to win back fans, getting positive press, and slowly crawling up the hill she tumbled down two years back, sporting short blonde locks for the promo visuals including the album cover, using bullfighting as one of the themes, and all this backed by an album with a wide range of hip producers and collaborators.

Edited by ziggy

I have to say, I think her hooks, melodies and bridges on RH completely slaughter Erotica.....yep, I went there. :) In that regard, Erotica was a step down from her 80's glory. RH has some of her strongest since the 80's IMO.

You have no taste. She made a proper album with Erotica. Rebel Heart and MDNA feel too similar to each other.

You have no taste. She made a proper album with Erotica. Rebel Heart and MDNA feel too similar to each other.

Sorry, but MDNA and RH are not alike as far as their sounds go. Sonically, RH is cohesive and there are central themes that run through the album. She's never been so vulnerable and open as she is on RH and the production is very "full" and lush. As I mentioned before, melodies, song structures and chorus' approach her 80's peak......there is nothing catchier than an 80's Madonna song. It's a proper album in every sense!

I think one possible way RH era reminds of Erotica era is the out of the way negativity purposely directed toward M.

From my personal time in fandom, Erotica was very negative and it just feels like in some ways from MDNA thru RH is no picnic either. I'm glad RH did however get some impressive reviews from the usual shitty critics.

Sorry, but MDNA and RH are not alike as far as their sounds go. Sonically, RH is cohesive and there are central themes that run through the album. She's never been so vulnerable and open as she is on RH and the production is very "full" and lush. As I mentioned before, melodies, song structures and chorus' approach her 80's peak......there is nothing catchier than an 80's Madonna song. It's a proper album in every sense!

Kurt, I will always prefer 90's Madonna over any of her incarnations prior and after.

They're completely different albums. I don't see anything in common with them at ALL.

They lack identity.

Guest ziggy

MDNA perhaps. What makes you think that about Rebel Heart?

I'd like to know how her COADF and Music incarnations lacked identity as well.

In terms of the album covers.. i would say yes.

However, the songs are less angry and more sad then they were on Erotica. Plus.. Erotica was made during a period after she got divorced and broke things off with Warren Beatty.. so she was lonely and very angry at the world.

This particular CD seems less angry.. more tongue in cheek (actually S.E.X, Best Night etc would fit in on Bedtime Stories moreso then Erotica). I think the mid-tempo ballads fit more on Music as opposed to American Life to me.

MDNA perhaps. What makes you think that about Rebel Heart?

Though musically superior to MDNA, Rebel Heart is another example of Madonna going through the motions. It feels shapeless. Any number of songs could be selected and sequenced. Nothing about it feels concentrated. Maybe Madonna is better when she has less options to work from in the recording process. She seemed to think everything was a good idea this time around.

Though musically superior to MDNA, Rebel Heart is another example of Madonna going through the motions. It feels shapeless. Any number of songs could be selected and sequenced. Nothing about it feels concentrated. Maybe Madonna is better when she has less options to work from in the recording process. She seemed to think everything was a good idea this time around.

While it's true that Rebel Heart has an "everything but the kitchen sink" approach sonically, I don't think it lacks a theme or an overall feel. In the end the album is a lot like her 90s work in that its a very thoughtful, poetic piece of work. I love MDNA but it doesn't feel like an album that she spent a lot of time with (let's save your MDNA trashing for a more appropriate thread E Blu, I'm not in the mood to read it AGAIN :lol: ). I think most of her work is consistent with its themes though. Hard Candy actually feels like a consistent album thematically, and so does Confessions & American Life. MDNA is an outlier.

I think RH just has a lot of different musical styles on it, which is not a bad thing at all and I applaud her experimentation with that. That doesn't necessarily mean that Madonna phoned it in, which is what your first sentence seemed to imply. That, to me, sounds like an outrageous claim considering everything we NOW know about this album.

While it's true that Rebel Heart has an "everything but the kitchen sink" approach sonically, I don't think it lacks a theme or an overall feel. In the end the album is a lot like her 90s work in that its a very thoughtful, poetic piece of work. I love MDNA but it doesn't feel like an album that she spent a lot of time with (let's save your MDNA trashing for a more appropriate thread E Blu, I'm not in the mood to read it AGAIN :lol: ). I think most of her work is consistent with its themes though. Hard Candy actually feels like a consistent album thematically, and so does Confessions & American Life. MDNA is an outlier.

I think RH just has a lot of different musical styles on it, which is not a bad thing at all and I applaud her experimentation with that. That doesn't necessarily mean that Madonna phoned it in, which is what your first sentence seemed to imply. That, to me, sounds like an outrageous claim considering everything we NOW know about this album.

I didn't think this thread would become a thing. And now that it has I'm embarrassed that my true feelings about Rebel Heart are surfacing so soon. I rather say nothing negative about it. And save my venom exclusively for MDNA. But what Rebel Heart has taught me is that Madonna is no longer seeking to prove anything to herself nor her critics musically. She is too comfortable making the music that is expected of someone in her genre.