Montreal 9/9 Bell Center: OPENING NIGHT - fan reviews only

graffitiheart

There's nothing "scaled back" about this tour. Its scale is enormous -- the stage looks to be the biggest of any production she's done, the screens are huge and integrated into the show much the way MDNA's were (just rewatch the opening number), there are more dancers and props than ever before ... What exactly is smaller here?

It seems that people think "scaled back" means there's no 10-minute highly-choreographed, all-hands-on-deck dance breakdown a la "Celebration" in MDNA or "GI2M" in Sticky -- or perhaps that it's more interactive with the audience instead of having Madonna act as if she's playing a part on stage. But shows don't need either of those things to have scale. Further, shows don't need to have either in order to be good.

Just a tad patronizing. The screens are clearly smaller in height, the lighting perfunctory but effective. The banks of unwieldy lights above the screens there to fill in space. All industry standard. None of that necessarily equals BAD. There's nothing spectacular about it that outdoes the last outing, but that's ABSOLUTELY FINE. It's a nice arena tour,

I think the most "shocking" element to the tour is the scaling back.

But Madonna did say the theme was "romance" and that translates into a slower, lighter and more gentle show this time were her voice gets showcased above the usual "style" we are used to seeing.

But we have something we haven't had in her mammoth career of previous tours, not only is she singing her 80s classics she's doing it with the 80s interactions as well!

Its a contrast to what we are used too....

The best way I can describe what I've seen so far is its

"A stadium show in an arena".

Wow, were we at the same show? It didn't look scaled down at all to me

The screen are not scaled down - dancers even dance on one of them!!

They are clearly smaller in height (shock horror oh no what are we gonna do etc)...which is just as well. Wouldn't want that dancer getting vertigo now would we?...

People keep forgetting this is the very first out of 60+ shows. If you watch footage from her previous tours, she never dances full force in the first shows. You can see it in BAT Yokohama. You can see it in MDNA Tel Aviv compared to her later shows in Europe. I recall M herself said once she kicks off a new tour she needs to warm up to it down the road. It also makes sense to save the energy for the later shows. Once again, look at MDNA and how the last leg was basically killing her.

:clap:

Actually, I think she was on fire in Tel Aviv, and she was on fire yesterday. The actual choreography (not necessarily actual dancing) is very tricky and precise in some of the numbers.

They are clearly smaller in height (shock horror oh no what are we gonna do etc)...which is just as well. Wouldn't want that dancer getting vertigo now would we?...

Oh my lord. Were you there? Did you have a measuring stick? If not, then drop it. The stage is massive - probably the most square footage of any of her stages and definitely the most "effective front row seats".

from what i have seen on the videos it looks like she is reffering a lot to past perfomances of her long carreer. And I love the that she is happy and connects to the crowd. :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch:

Oh my lord. Were you there? Did you have a measuring stick? If not, then drop it. The stage is massive - probably the most square footage of any of her stages and definitely the most "effective front row seats".

No, I have EYES and there's this little thing called perspective, and my brother-in-law works in the industry, and I'm interested in such things. Were you there? And again, for you people that think Madge has to have the biggest and best everything....this is an arena tour on an arena budget. Unlike MDNA, it's not gonna be plonked into a field or a stadium. It shows, and it's PERFECTLY FINE. Carry on.

from what i have seen on the videos it looks like she is reffering a lot to past perfomances of her long carreer. And I love the that she is happy and connects to the crowd. :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch: :smooch:

I definitely got that feeling about "nodding" her past performances. In LAV, she mixed in the BA version with more beats.

No, I have EYES and there's this little thing called perspective, and my brother-in-law works in the industry, and I'm interested in such things. Were you there? And again, for you people that think Madge has to have the biggest and best everything....this is an arena tour on an arena budget. Unlike MDNA, it's not gonna be plonked into a field or a stadium. It shows, and it's PERFECTLY FINE. Carry on.

Ok, so you weren't there and you didn't have a measuring stick. My sister-in-law is a pyschiatrist That doesn't make me an expert on mental diseases, but I think you may have "know it all" disorder. I'll be there Saturday night and take my tape measure. The core elements of MDNA were purpose built for arenas since many of the venues were in fact "arenas". That's why so many people who saw it in a field were disappointed. Plonk.

Ok, so you weren't there and you didn't have a measuring stick. My sister-in-law is a pyschiatrist That doesn't make me an expert on mental diseases, but I think you may have "know it all" disorder. I'll be there Saturday night and take my tape measure. The core elements of MDNA were purpose built for arenas since many of the venues were in fact "arenas". That's why so many people who saw it in a field were disappointed. Plonk.

Exactly the only difference between the stadium MDNA shows and arena ones was the MDNA Roof at the top and the big screens on the sides that would just zoom in on her.

This is your first warning. Keep things respectful when you attempt to discuss something with someone. Madonatribe is THATAWAY if you can't handle being civilized.

While it's true that the MDNA stage looked pathetic from a distance and was unsuitable in most of the outdoor venues. (thanks for admitting that) The SCREEN SIZE almost definitely took into account the fact that outside North America, outdoor shows were the order of the day. The budget for the staging for this tour would also have taken into account the sluggish ticket sales, and seeing as every cm costs $$$, it's no surprise that they are SLIGHTLY smaller, but that's a different discussion. Now off you go and bitch about Madonna's hair again...because that's so much more...interesting.

I remember people thought she was scaling back her dancing due to old age back in the DWT days lol. She showed them wrong. She will have to do it someday. Hope we're not there yet - I'd like to think she'll have some fire to prove she can still do it at 60 so we'll see where the next tour takes us.

As for this one, I'm not going to watch any videos - difficult as it may be- until my show in LA in October, so no opinions on it either way.

I think we can all agree that booking arenas costs less. Let's just get real.

Everyone here was falling all over themselves in 2012 when MDNA was launched, including me (actually I'm still dying over MDNA 3 years later). But she's now making up for the polarizing atmosphere on that tour. We can't have it both ways, moaning about MDNA being too self indulgent and grandiose and then balk when ppl mention that things may be a bit more user friendly this go around. You can see that in the setlist, the performances, the start time (so far), and the safe route of doing an arena only tour. She's a smart woman. It's still gonna be a successful tour and it's not like she's playing parking lots or county fairs. Let's talk about the real meat and potatoes which is the actual content of the show, as that's what matters!

Well sorry to rain on everyone's (negativity & moaning parade) but based on these clips alone I already declare this tour better than Reinvention, Sticky, Who's That Girl, Virgin and possibly Confessions.

So yeah. I said that.

Well sorry to rain on everyone's (negativity & moaning parade) but based on these clips alone I already declare this tour better than Reinvention, Sticky, Who's That Girl, Virgin and possibly Confessions.

So yeah. I said that.

Gotta see in person first (just a few weeks ...), but I might agree with this :wow:

Definitely better than MDNA -- but I seem to be the only one around these parts who didn't care for that one. *prepares for stoning*

So yeah. I said that.

What about MDNA, my precious? :bad: