REBEL HEART (song)

Well, sorry, but Avicci demo was better than the album version. I do love the song, but it's a waste of opportunity. I know the demo wasn't original and sounds very avicci, but it was so catchy. the song is still good, the lyrics are strong, but it has lost its commercial and efficient sound.

So it's not good because she decided to not go the safe route and be commercial and rather go for something she felt was more befitting for the song and the album?

I personally never felt that Rebel Heart was a commercial song to begin with. It's very intimate and personal. It's not single material...it's too precious to be wasted as a single that would flop these days.

I find it funny how ppl complain about Madonna not being commercial-sounding but whenever she does she's being generic, boring and bandwagon-jumping.

Some people in here really act like assholes. Just accept the fact that not everyone shares your opinion and move on.

I disliked the Avicii demo at first because I am not a fan of his music and I thought the vocodered 'Rebeeeel heeeeart' sounded cringeworthy. However, after a while I realized that it's just extremely catchy and well done and could become a big hit.

I do agree that the final version sounds better in the context of the album but I also feel that they sucked out all the energy it had and slowed it down too much.

She used Demo 2 for the album version :(

Demo 2 doesn't even have that shitty, loud bass. :newspaper:

It's like Voices 2.0. all over again.

actually I have never been a fan of this track. The lyrics are good, but somehow the melody isn't doing it for me. I dunno...

I have to apology for my maybe hars or rude post earlier. There was no need for that. However I still think it's a bit stupid to even argue over a leaked & stolen early demo that was never intended to be heard. So to me it seems pointless and maybe even disrespectfull... And I also still feel that the demo version was horribly generic and out-of-date and rehashed. I can be almost 100% sure that it would have NOT become a hit. That production has been heard for a hundred times already...And to be honest, it's not even well produced.

Well, sorry, but Avicci demo was better than the album version. I do love the song, but it's a waste of opportunity. I know the demo wasn't original and sounds very avicci, but it was so catchy.

I agree with you.

I think that slowing it down is what really hurt it. The infectious quality of the melody was lost; now it's just an album track that doesn't really stand out. You'll notice that very few reviews single it out as a highlight (I think only one that I have read has done so).

Also, the loss of some of the warm electronic touches makes it sound kind of bleak.

Fortunatley, we do have the original demo, so those of us who prefer it can simply replace the album version with the demo on our own playlist.

the final version doesnt have the same breathtaking, inspirational feel as the first version we all heard. Thats whats missing for me. I get why she didnt even put it on the main version of the album but i dont get why she didnt spend more time making this the classic it should've been.

The good news is, if she does decide to release rebel heart as a single, shes not required to release the version thats on this album. She can come up with a great radio mix like she has with many singles in the past.

A

Both versions are divine.

My only wish is that the album version were longer. It ends too soon for me, would like a build up at the end.

In my Top 3 or 5 for sure. It's got one of the biggest Madonna choruses since the 80s.

The final version doesnt have the same breathtaking, inspirational feel as the first version we all heard. Thats whats missing for me. I get why she didnt even put it on the main version of the album but i dont get why she didnt spend more time making this the classic it should've been.

I really agree with you on that. Your description of the demo as being more "breathtaking" and "inspirational" captures exactly what I was trying to explain in my earlier post.

I would also like to address another possible objection to my argument in favor of the original demo: that is, that it doesn't fit the album. I agree that it wouldn't fit well with the tracks as they are currently sequenced. However, if that album opened with the original demo of "Rebel Heart," just before the similarly euphoric "Living for Love," I think that it would work quite well (and, by the way, would have made a better lead single, in my opinion).

I really agree with you on that. Your description of the demo as being more "breathtaking" and "inspirational" captures exactly what I was trying to explain in my earlier post.

I would also like to address another possible objection to my argument in favor of the original demo: that is, that it doesn't fit the album. I agree that it wouldn't fit well with the tracks as they are currently sequenced. However, if that album opened with the original demo of "Rebel Heart," just before the similarly euphoric "Living for Love," I think that it would work quite well (and, by the way, would have made a better lead single, in my opinion).

Dickens - totally agree with you. If you think about it "living for love" doesnt exactly "fit" the rest of the album either. If the album opened with a stronger version of Rebel Heart (such as that first version), I think it would have worked perfectly. On my personal sequencing of the album, I dont open with L4L.

The production on the original demo is great but I find her vocals a bit wonky like some others are saying. The vocals work better on the final mix.

Not really sure if it ever needed to be a single because there is so freaking much great stuff on the album.

I will say though if those distorted drums are still there on the CD, I really want to reach through the Internet and choke whoever is mixing the album. It sounds like a mistake more than something progressive. I don't usually like distorted drums anyway (maybe on some Bjork tracks) but the effect usually sounds worse than better. I was barely able to handle them on 'Voices' but it still would have worked better with less distortion.

However, it doesn't sound as much like an effect here as it does bad mixing. Luckily, I don't hear it as much when i listen to it on external speakers, but it is very evident on headphones.

Speaking of headphones, so many tracks on the album sound unbelievable this way!

I'm honestly gonna kill the next person I see complaining about the album version not sounding like the Avicii Mix.

NONE of the songs on the album have those cheap recycled synths and instruments he used on all his tracks. It would have sounded completely out-of-place. In fact, if you listen to his song "Wake Me Up" you cam hear the stems he recycled for this song. M saved the album and especially this song by ripping it off of those annoying synths. The way it is now is not the best it could have been, I agree. But it was never the best song to begin with. It's cute and it has a nice melody but it's not as edgy as the rest of the album. A re-work alá Devil Pray would have been nice but I think the stripped version makes more sense paired with the retrospective aspect of the lyrics.

Yes!

Yes. A Devil Pray kinda makeover by Dahi & Diamond would be amazing.

This! Yea the song was weakened in every way. I mean it's the title track for fucks sake, wasted potential. :(

I don't get it. I kept reading how ppl complained that she had butchered RH the song by re-recording the vocals to f-ing up the drums and vocoder.

the finished version is almost like the demos we heard minus the vocoder. It is still very catchy imho.

It should have been the lead single in my opinion: pure pop song and not too many commercial ala LFL (which I really love but too dance for mainstrean...)

I like the final version. Yes it's different from the demo, but it's not better or worse. It's just different. I think this version fits better with the rest of the album... Drums and accoustic sounds rather than EDM...

I'm glad I stopped listening to the demo in December, it was logical that the fans who've been listening to it the past 3 months now can't accept the new version. It's how the mind works.

Wow, this thread is just a nasty battleground. C'mon guys and girls.. #livingforlove

My only problem is that dirty broken bass effect/ bad mixing.. With headphones it's loud and quite annoying. And I actually liked that effect on "Voices". But I'll get over it.

I also liked the demo (the only one I heard) but I'm trying to remember that this is HER vision and she is the ring leader and the dominatrix of this show. I need to focus on this version and find her love in it.

The problem with the original demo is that it is too close to the "The Days" song feat. Robbie Williams, Seriously, to me the chorus is almost identical. Just a few days ago I was in my car and they played that song. I could actually sing Rebel Heart over it. That is probably the reason why they re-worked it to prevent a reductive moment.

i absolutely adored the demo and although i was initially pretty bummed when i started reading about the album version (and the first time i heard it myself) after having the album FINALLY for the last two days and getting to live with it and really listen to it all...i think i prefer the album version by far.

like many others have said, the demo has a very dated sound, and i don't see how that would have fit in on this album, no matter where it may have been on the tracklist. i still appreciate the demo, but this version feels much more 'authentic' and i actually find it way more euphoric than the demo. i just get such a great feeling every time i hear it. and the melody is still VERYstrong...as well as the lyrics...so i don't really get how people can say it's been totally ruined, as the song is still essentially the same...just minus a few production tricks. and the bass "distortion" is NOWHERE NEAR as bad as 'voices'. it doesn't even come close.

I think the producers did a good job with the Rebel Heart album. But to integrate the Rebel Heart song into the album it seems they had to strip the original Avicii version off of its core qualities to fit the tone of the album. They clipped and trimmed it. Removed the key hooks, sucked out its feel-good energy, slowed down the pace and disrupted its carefree flow.

And what could have become another uplifting Madonna anthem was neutered to forgettable filler material. I think that`s why Rebel Heart didn`t even make the album and was just included as a bonus track on the deluxe edition of the album.

When the demos leaked last year, it was the obvious single choice for almost everybody. It was THE standout track. Maybe not for the gay fanboys who favoured LFL, but the general response from non-Madonna fans was surprising. You could hear comments that she finally has a real hit again on her hands. The reception was so super-positive. The Avicii version of Rebel Heart is mainstream pop, pleasently radio-friendly, so that reaction was maybe not that shocking.

But that is obviously not what Madonna wanted for the first single. Madonna never had a lot of appreciaction for the more poppy, happy sounding songs like Cherish, Who`s That Girl, True Blue or Dress You Up. And I get it... the first single should be a representation of whats to come. So maybe they should`ve kept this track, make it a soundtrack single or something for a future project. They shouldn`t have messed with it to just fit the Album, because the potential of this song was huge.

That having said, I do love what they did to Devil Pray, Illuminati and almost every other track on the album. Just my opinion.

I think the demo version would've fit in just fine on this album. It's very diverse. Wouldn't have felt out of place at all, to me. I love both versions but do prefer the demo.

OMG Finally heard the Demo version for this song. I have to agree with most of you that is way superior than the final album version.

Is the only demo I wanted to hear and am glad that I have it now! :laugh: