WASH ALL OVER ME

Okay the album version while beautiful I find kind of boring. I've avoided the demo for about 2 months and I have never felt the urge to "omg gotta listen to Wash all Over Me." The other ballads on the album are superior for me.

I would have rathered an uptempo version. Not necessarily Avicci sounding. I would have liked to see what Kanye or Diplo could have done with it.

There's something about the build up while she sings "over me, let it wash all over me, over meeeeee". It almost sounds like the wave is coming for her, she sees it, she knows it's coming and then the dance break is the wave crashing on her. That's kind of how I picture it. It's so intense. I love it. Shame.

before they gave up and settled on yet another slow plodder. Interestingly enough, Madge couldn't even be bothered to re-record her vocals. However much kanye tries, all the bells and whistles and heavenly choirs and organs and didgeridoos in the world can't disguise the utter boredom in her voice.

Kim, I'm fucking crying at you in this thread :lmao:

Just listened to it a few moments ago- still in my top five on the album. Just beautiful (even though the subject may not be so). I can see what some have said about her sounding "bored," but I think her delivery is effective. Is she supposed to sound passionate and excited about the subject?

Just listened to it a few moments ago- still in my top five on the album. Just beautiful (even though the subject may not be so). I can see what some have said about her sounding "bored," but I think her delivery is effective. Is she supposed to sound passionate and excited about the subject?

Bored? I think this is one of her all time best vocals. The vocal melody makes me very emotional, and it's in my top five as well.

whooooooooo am IIIIIIII to decide what should be done?

if this is the end then let it come

let it come let it rain

(oeeeeeeehhhhh)

rain all over meeee

like the tide

let it flow

let it wash all over me

From the Tower of Babylon where nothing is what it seems

Gonna watch the sun going down

:Disco_Ball:

:blush::brenspin:

I love the drums & background vocals. the chorus is just so powerful to me. the "over me...." sounds a bit weaker though, she could have re recorded the vocals there. so i can see what some people are saying with M sounding a bit bored, but I felt it was way more obvious in the EDM demo. her way of singing fits the ballad version (final) better.

however at the same time as some of you have said this is also a very sad song. I love it but the lyrics get to me :(

I guess we all hear different things. I feel she becomes a character with each song she sings, and in this case she is resigned to her fate, accepting what comes. I think it's a flawless vocal and one of the best songs of her career.

But that's just me.

Guest eroticerotic

I guess we all hear different things. I feel she becomes a character with each song she sings, and in this case she is resigned to her fate, accepting what comes. I think it's a flawless vocal and one of the best songs of her career.

But that's just me.

well said. right now I'm relating to these lyrics. and this song. i do feel like we are in an unstable world right now...it's just weird....and for those who choose to not cower among the chaos, its a relatable song.

i do feel if a tidal wave came at me id fucking grab a surfboard. :) its bittersweet.

• 4 weeks later...

Some- you are not alone. For me, it's the kind of track that brings a level of comfort to something that, inevitably, could be the end of the world as we know it (no pun intended, R.E.M.).

Guest eroticerotic

i love this song because...it sounds like...she will fight til the end, and she resents there is an ending looming, but at the same time, theres a sense of joy? in the let it come part, ( you can here it better in the dance version)

its a whole shit load of emotions and i love t

Guest Pud Whacker

LOVE LOVE LOVE

Wash All Over Me

this was the first demo we heard in november? it gave me complete faith in the upcoming album.

Guest Sinisin

I'm sorry #3 is LIFE. It's like the 7"inch of LAP when you hear the disonance of her voice in the second chorus, period.

Guest Hunterlas

Well, in my case I frankly feel the dance versions were lame... This stunner was meant to be a ballad. Period. Her vocals on the demo (the acoustic one) are simply outta fucking control!!!!!! But I also love the final version on the album. Easly on my top 5 RebelHeart songs.

Haven't even listened to the demo (or the others, for that matter, outside of, maybe, a little of RH, which I'm not even sure was a demo).

I don't know if it's "joy" she's conveying in terms of the end coming, but rather an acceptance and a peace with it.

The thing about the uptempo vs the somber versions of this song is that each conveys very distinct feelings.

Although the lyrics are the same, by changing the context (i.e. the sound) the meaning is vastly different. While the euphoric and upbeat tone of the demo paints the picture of someone aware of their queerness (not the sexual connotation) in a quickly changing world, she sounds triumphant in accepting a new chapter in her life. She's ready to face whatever comes her way. At the climatic synth break, it's as if she's ready to be raptured to this new life.

The album version, however, comes off quite the opposite. The seemingly funeral march drums and overall weary tone of the production (or "raw and gritty" to some) conjures a woman that is still in that mourning process of accepting the end and feeling the sorrow that it brings. As she sings repeatedly "over me.... let it wash all over me," one can feel the sense of dread. She's ready to take the blow but she is definitely not looking forward to it.

Maybe that's why I prefer the "dance" version of this song, it is the image that I created of Madonna in my head: the warrior that can conquer all, the Michigan girl that sang early in her career that "I get up again over and over." I appreciate the mature "I can't be a superhero right now" Madonna of today and I don't fault anyone for preferring the album version. But in my book, Madonna will be the one dancing even when the world is coming to an end, because out of all human beings, she's probably the best qualified to do so.

And that's all I have to say about that.

92283-phil-dunphy-shrug-gif-WHAT-wtf-X2G

Guest Pud Whacker

I've been in love with that version since the day it was released. It has such a feel good energy about it. :inlove: