"Rebel Heart" Reviews [continued] - thread 2

I don't understand this line from Spin .

Madonna's Rebel Heart is actually much closer to that of former VMAs combatant Courtney Love, a Bad Girl who has alienated casual fans over the years with her unwillingness to age out of her brattiness, but is beloved by her more rabid fans for just that reason. If she's going down, she's gonna go down bitching.

Guest HaveASit

New York Times, Consequence of Sound, Pitchfork and maybe two others yeah.

I think NOW magazine will review too

I come back to visit this thread and the bad reviews have returned. ; (

Spin is lame and basically defunct. 6 is not bad, just fair. And B- from AV Club is not bad for them, they hate everything.

This has been a definitive critical SUCCESS so cheer up and hugs to you!

I don't know if this has been posted .

Music Review: Madonna's 'Rebel Heart' Is Lovely

Madonna, "Rebel Heart" (Boy Toy/Live Nation/Interscope)

Madonna's 13th studio album, "Rebel Heart," beats with romance and rebellion. At 19 tracks, it's an overstuffed triptych through the iconic performer's life, careening between uplifting dance tracks, like the percolating "Living for Love" — her 44th No. 1 on Billboard's Dance Club Songs chart — and corrosively bitter tunes such as the Avicii-produced "HeartBreakCity."

Songs such as the largely acoustic "Devil Pray," which will stylistically remind many of "Don't Tell Me"; the achingly vulnerable "Joan of Arc"; and the deceptively double entendre-filled, lilting "Body Shop" course with vitality and showcase some of Madonna's best singing in years.

While the majority of the material falls solidly in the positive, some of the tunes undoubtedly meant to sound fierce and liberating just feel tired, like the electro-clash braggadocio of "Bitch I'm Madonna," featuring Nicki Minaj, and the tedious X-rated bump-and-grind of the Kanye West-produced "Holy Water."

In perhaps her most complex album, Madonna seems determined to plant a flag for her 30-plus year career, even giving a crash course in Madonna-ology on the self-referential "Veni, Vidi, Vici," featuring Nas, during which she playfully incorporate phrases and titles from past hits. At its best, "Rebel Heart" pulsates with a vibrancy that reveals both the sour and the sweet in Madonna's extremely complicated life and leaves no doubt that she still has a lot more to share.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/03/09/arts/ap-us-music-review-madonna.html?_r=0

Edited by Butter9

"Slow songs are a problem for Rebel Heart in general — ponderous, over-serious and exhausted with halfhearted Catholic guilt, they bog down what could otherwise be the most fun album Madonna's made in at least a decade."

Mar08201520bbbb.gif

:chuckle:

Hey guys! My review just went live on RantHollywood.com! Please check it out and share it. I worked hard on it. Thanks!!

http://www.ranthollywood.com/2015/03/10/rebel-heart-is-madonnas-best-album-since-confessions-on-a-dance-floor/

With ‘Rebel Heart,’ Madonna has made an album that follows the tradition of albums like‘The Velvet Rope’ by Janet Jackson and ‘Butterfly’ by Mariah Carey. It is, in every sense, a self-proclamation album.

:huh:

She has remained at 70 on meta even with the addition of the AV Club's B- and Spin's 6.

This must mean that some of her higher rated reviews are weighted more heavily on Metacritic's formula, as the actual average is now 68.1...

With ‘Rebel Heart,’ Madonna has made an album that follows the tradition of albums like‘The Velvet Rope’ by Janet Jackson and ‘Butterfly’ by Mariah Carey. It is, in every sense, a self-proclamation album.

I will not comment as to offend the original author — but what the fuckity fucking motherfucking fuck?

I don't understand this line from Spin .

Madonna's Rebel Heart is actually much closer to that of former VMAs combatant Courtney Love, a Bad Girl who has alienated casual fans over the years with her unwillingness to age out of her brattiness, but is beloved by her more rabid fans for just that reason. If she's going down, she's gonna go down bitching.

I'm a Courtney Love fan, but I don't understand that either. I guess because both Madonna and Courtney don't do just ballads/AC music? But Madonna is a lot more professional than Courtney, so it doesn't make sense.

Madonna has done albums in this tradition many times. Like A Prayer and ROL spring to mind as the most obvious choices but Bedtime Stories and American Life are also very self relevant and personal in their own way.

Madonna has been wearing her heart on her sleeve musically since she began.