"Rebel Heart" Reviews [continued] - thread 2

Of course! Was looking for a "anxious" smilie. :lol:

YOU'LL LOVE IT

:smooch::smooch:

I can't wait. I've been holding out until the official release (outside my allotted downloads) and have avoided most demos.

So exciting! I can't wait to download the rest and watch it climb up iTunes!!!

iTunes just notified me that it was ready and I d/l... all i can is OH MY FUCKING GOD... this album is FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!! like FABULOUS! It is her most unique collection of songs I think in perhaps EVER. I give it two big thumbs up

I hope you are all not just completing pre-orders but downloading like you are buying it today? So it counts because of this new rule...

That new rule only affects an album's position on iTunes, not Billboard, to my knowledge.

Billboard is taking pre-orders into account for its ranking for the first week, I hope. I don't see why they wouldn't.

RH has already peaked at #1 on iTunes. Would love a repeat trip but I don't think it matters much.

But this get's right to what Hector was saying above. That's who she was at that time in her life. I don't really understand why so many always think ROL-to-Confessions Madonna is somehow the "real/essential" Madonna, as if the before or after are just "characters" or "personas"... Why are those eras above any different? How is Veronica Electronica any different from Dita? She has always said her work is a combination of fact and fiction. I don't see why that doesn't apply to the more 'spiritual/married' years. If anything, she's basically alluded to the fact that she deliberately chose to tone down that side even if she really didn't want to in recent interviews. The fact that this side has come out more so since the divorce/HC, I think that says a lot... As for being a "metaphysical nerd" and her caring for her children, human rights, art...while true, it doesn't mean the sexual/provocative/cheeky side is only a "character." If anything, the whole Rebel Heart project is saying the opposite of what you're saying...that she is ALL these things. It's not about one being any more than the other, or that one side is "real" and the other is "character." I get that people love ROL, but when that becomes the end all/be all that everything she is and has done is compared to, to me, that's nothing more than confirmation bias.

Oh... it's ok, calm down. I understand and AGREE with your points. Although I must say, I'm not stuck in the Ray of Light Madonna at all. I'm loving Madonna the way she is RIGHT NOW! I think Rebel Heart summarizes her really well! We get the sexual, rebellious, fun Madonna and we also get some Esther in there as well. :inlove: ♡

All the reviews this era are thoughtful and well considered, but the grades themselves seem lower than the articles.

It reminds me of Erotica, when people seemed cautious in praising it, as if Madonna was somehow fooling them or putting something over on them. It seems like they are trying to outsmart a really great album and can't quite figure out how to do it, so the give it a B- or a 3.5/5 when all the writing indicates a higher grade...

Metacritic is a stupid website, that's all you need to understand.

All in all the album has gotten a decent reception.

I hope Madonna performs on the Metacritic Awards this year on The CW! :callme: