"Rebel Heart" Reviews [continued] - thread 2

AllMusic review is up but no stars yet it seems:

80/100 according to metacritic

70/100 on metacritic now! :) I'm happy if the first number starts with 7 in the end.

ok, good :) it better keep the 7 as the first number, rather want a higher score but it's good. now the next reviews better be 70 or up (and im dreading the pitchfork & other snobby ones as they're gonna drag it down if they review it)

Guest ziggy

btw billboard wrote about MetaCritic (wtf?) about rebel heart and they bolded the EW's rating of C+. they're always so shady with madonna. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6494992/madonna-rebel-heart-review-roundup?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I think they're giving her a fair treatment. They predominantly quote positive reviews and leave out most of the snarkier stuff. As for bolding C+, that seems to be their house practice, same as bolding people's names or italicizing record- and movie titles. They have also bolded the B given by the other EW critic.

I love the ballads. The best she's done in years. The other tracks...... not so much. The uptempo songs on previous albums were much better. Not sure what happened, but they don't shine as much as the ballads do. But at least everything is sonically consistent.

No. Besides RH is more mid-tempo than up-tempo.

I think they're giving her a fair treatment. They predominantly quote positive reviews and leave out most of the snarkier stuff. As for bolding C+, that seems to be their house practice, same as bolding people's names or italicizing record- and movie titles. They have also bolded the B given by the other EW critic.

that's the first time i see them mention Metacritic though

From the TIME review:

"Her voice sounds great, light and a little worn around the edges; it bears the weight of a full love, of love won and lost, real pain and real joy. On highlights like the gentle “Joan of Arc” and weightless fantasy “Body Shop,” she sounds a little like a mother tucking into an old story at the kitchen table, running through the decisions she’s made and the paths she could’ve taken: her years of purposeful provocation, the isolation that stems from defiance, the fight to accept imperfections within yourself."

100% accurate!

:dramatic:

So true :bow: :bow:

http://time.com/3735645/review-madonna-rebel-heart/

Great review from Time!

Still not sure why metacritic doesn't use Time or USA Today but does use Pretty Much Amazing :lmao:

the last paragraph choked me up.

Keep getting those great reviews, Queen!

AND ... ABC News showing the love. Thus one is actually the Associated Press review which will run in papers across the nation!

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/music-review-madonnas-rebel-heart-lovely-29497837

:rotfl::rotfl::thumbsup:

Meteoritic is worthless and arbitrary :D

It counts for NOTHING in terms of an actual indication of critics' response

I mean who gets to decide what media outlet is to be included or not?

Bitchfork, Slant, some random haughty shitty blog yes but USA Today gets left out? :blink:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/be-still-the-unseemly-beating-of-madonnas-rebel-heart/2015/03/08/645dc50c-c5a2-11e4-b2a1-bed1aaea2816_story.html

This review is one of the most outrageous things I've ever had the displeasure of reading. Not only are there several factual errors but the author is clearly a misogynistic asshole ageist prick. I'm literally shocked that this piece of trash yellow journalism is even in the Washington Post. Appalling.

AllMusic review is up but no stars yet it seems:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/rebel-heart-mw0002806491

Rebel Heart was introduced to the world with an indiscipline uncharacteristic of Madonna. Blame it on hackers who rushed out a clutch of unfinished tracks at the end of 2014, a few months before the record's scheduled spring release. Madonna countered by putting six full tracks up on a digital service, a move that likely inflated the final Deluxe Edition of Rebel Heart up to a whopping 19 tracks weighing in at 75 minutes, but even that unveiling wasn't performed without a hitch: during an ornate performance of "Living for Love," she stumbled on-stage at the BRIT Awards. Such cracks in Madge's armor happily play into the humanity coursing through Rebel Heart (maybe the hiccups were intentional after all?), a record that ultimately benefits from its daunting mess. All the extra space allows ample room for detours, letting Madonna indulge in both Erotica-era taboo-busting sleaze ("Holy Water") and feather-light pop ("Body Shop"). Although she takes a lingering look back at the past on "Veni Vidi Vici" -- her cataloging of past hits walks right on the edge of camp, kept away from the danger zone by a cameo from Nas -- Rebel Heart, like any Madonna album, looks forward. Opener "Living for Love" announces as much, as its classic disco is soon exploded into a decibel-shattering EDM pulse coming courtesy of co-producer Diplo. Madonna brings him back a few more times -- the pairing of the reggae-bouncing "Unapologetic Bitch" and Nicki Minaj showcase "Bitch I'm Madonna," their titles suggesting vulgarity, their execution flinty and knowing -- but she cleverly balances these clubby bangers with "Devil Pray," an expert evocation of her folktronica Y2K co-produced by Avicii, and "Illuminati," a sleek, spooky collaboration with Kanye West. These are the anchors of the album, grounding the record when Madonna wanders into slow-churning meditation, unabashed revivals of her '90s adult contemporary mode, casual confession ("I spent sometime as a narcissist"), and defiant celebrations of questionable taste. Undoubtedly, some of this flair would've been excised if the record was a manageable length, but the blessing of the unwieldiness is that it does indeed represent a loosening of Madonna's legendary need for control. Certainly, the ambition remains, along with the hunger to remain on the bleeding edge, but she's allowing her past to mingle with her present, allowing her to seem human yet somewhat grander at the same time.

All Music counts on Metacritic as an 80! :tigger:

Meanwhile that trash The Observer, from The Guardian, counts as another 60 like the 2 EW reviews.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/be-still-the-unseemly-beating-of-madonnas-rebel-heart/2015/03/08/645dc50c-c5a2-11e4-b2a1-bed1aaea2816_story.html

This review is one of the most outrageous things I've ever had the displeasure of reading. Not only are there several factual errors but the author is clearly a misogynistic asshole ageist prick. I'm literally shocked that this piece of trash yellow journalism is even in the Washington Post. Appalling.

I know! Let's forget about this review and concentrate on the very good ones, which fortunately are more. Good thing this piece of crap does not count for Metacritic ;)

what on earth he only actually "reviewed" three songs, if you can call them that which for an album that at it's shortest has 14 is ridiculous

what on earth he only actually "reviewed" three songs, if you can call them that which for an album that at it's shortest has 14 is ridiculous

if you notice, it is in "lifestyle section"...."style" sub-section...not even music... :spankmonkey:

Guest Pud Whacker

Interesting take.

That douche bag obviously wasn't listening if he thinks for a moment the intent of listing the 'intoxicants' in Devil Pray were written to titillate young people.

Like any of them are new anyway.

Don't fucking be a music critic if you're not actually going to even bother to actually listen to what you're reviewing.

What a douche.