"Rebel Heart" Reviews [continued] - thread 2

Guest Pud Whacker

Madonna said that Kanye shouldn't go to award shows looking for justice. And I think we shouldn't look for justice from the critics. It's never going to happen.

this cohesiveness issue would have been resolved if the album was resolved as initially intended by M as "Rebel" and "Heart" 2 disc album. But then the leaks happened...

Critics loved ROL because of the cohesiveness and its song writing (serious, introspective) while Rebel Heart is getting mixed because its not one note- yes some loved the rebel and some love the heart- i think that was the intention. But im sure in the future M would prolly release an all heart album, as she said in one of her interviews - that she liked to play not a full arena concert but just her and a guitar. That will probably happen when she releases an full on heart album.

this cohesiveness issue would have been resolved if the album was resolved as initially intended by M as "Rebel" and "Heart" 2 disc album. But then the leaks happened...

Critics loved ROL because of the cohesiveness and its song writing (serious, introspective) while Rebel Heart is getting mixed because its not one note- yes some loved the rebel and some love the heart- i think that was the intention. But im sure in the future M would prolly release an all heart album, as she said in one of her interviews - that she liked to play not a full arena concert but just her and a guitar. That will probably happen when she releases an full on heart album.

And how did the leaks prevented her making it such a double album?

Regarding the "cohesiveness" of the album, I think there are two very distinct themes - Rebel and Heart and I don't see why fans and critics are making such a big issue about it. Musically I think it is very "cohesive" so meh.

In terms of reviews though, she NEVER gets unanimous praise. Every album she releases gets mixed reviews and even the good ones are generally filled with backhanded compliments. Her albums only get true respect years after the fact, hence why she's never been a darling of the Grammy's. (For example Rolling Stone rating LAP 3 out of 5 when it was originally released but now they rank it "4 out of 5" and its a "pop classic")

I do think Rebel Heart is overall a cohesive record even though it doesn't flow quite well at certain moments. If she had kept it as a double album, we would end up getting a record (Heart) full of album closer tracks with repeating lyrical themes, and another one (Rebel) which a lot of the anti-sex/bitch/rebel fans will completely ignore.

The album will sound more and more cohesive in the future once the nostalgia/zeitgeist factor kicks in. Bedtime Stories sounds way more cohesive than it did 20 years ago.

I do think Rebel Heart is overall a cohesive record even though it doesn't flow quite well at certain moments. If she had kept it as a double album, we would end up getting a record (Heart) full of album closer tracks with repeating lyrical themes, and another one (Rebel) which a lot of the anti-sex/bitch/rebel fans will completely ignore.

You make great points. I was excited about the idea of double (theme) album but after hearing the tracks it wouldnt have worked out imo. BUT I also agree with you that the final product IS cohesive.

Still can't believe actual fans are arguing over the sex songs..."not classy"..."not rebellious"..."vulgar"... wow, NEVER thought I'd see that in Madonna fandom.

Whether they're tongue-in-cheek or sincere (and usually hers are a mix of both), I LIVE for that side of Madonna.

I hope she does an album full of pussy songs at the age of 72 just to spite y'all.

I'm personally glad Madonna has done these sex songs, when ROL came out it was clear we'd never see the sexual side again, I'm glad she's revisited this theme.

It's so bizarre though, I really couldn't imagine her even contemplating writing a sexual song during ROF, Music, AL and COADF era. It's like she was a completely different person, she came across very cultivated during these eras. She still is now, she's just being a rebel ha!

She wanted to make it a double album to get out of her contract but that didn't fly with the record company so she scratch that idea. It had nothing to do with the leaks. Anyway back to the reviews.

She doesn't have a record company, though...unless you mean she wanted to get out of the distribution deal with Universal/Interscope? Even that doesn't make sense, since Madonna knows full well that a double album would never count as two separate releases.

It's still a likely theory and would explain why she recorded ~40 songs for one project when she had never done that in the past 30 years. I'm sure nobody expected album sales to collapse 5 years ago when they prepared the distribution deal... I never understood why she did this deal when prior to that she talked about reinventing the wheel in terms of music distribution, something didn't happen for Madonna...

Guest ziggy

Another review. I always forget that the Guardian does two, one being in the Observer.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/mar/08/madonna-rebel-heart-review-observer-basqued-polemicist

Thanks. I disagree with the writer on just about everything (contrary to her, I find the ballads brilliant and the dance tracks weaker), but this is delightfully well written. The reviews the album is getting do reflect its schizophrenic nature – name a track off the album and it's probably been singled out as a highlight by one critic and a shameful embarrasment by another.

Thanks. I disagree with the writer on just about everything (contrary to her, I find the ballads brilliant and the dance tracks weaker), but this is delightfully well written. The reviews the album is getting do reflect its schizophrenic nature name a track off the album and it's probably been singled out as a highlight by one critic and a shameful embarrasment by another.

Yes! You summed up my thoughts exactly. I am such a dork that I am keeping track of the rankings in the top 5 thread, and every single song has at least a couple of votes, so fans are liking a variety as well as critics.

The only negative thing I can say about the Ray Of Light era is that her interviews at the time kinda made me feel as if she was questioning her own past work. I was not comfortable with that at all. I was happy for Madonna in her personal life because she seemed happy and of course everyone "loved her" so I guess everything was good now. :rolleyes:

When Ray Of Light came out I had already been a fan of Madonna for sixteen years so it was all very

different for me.

If you want to check yourself in regards to how you affect others in your personal life or in life itself that is your personal business and does affect how close people want to be to you. Art for me is an expression of everything that is going on inside of you. There is no right or wrong in art. In life people hold you back everyday from saying what you think or talking about how you feel. That's why I love art.

If someone's work doesn't connect with me I move on. I would never go up to an artist and say you shouldn't have done that. I want an artist to be real more than anything. What I mean by real is that they are presenting something how they would like to present it. I personally got a lot out of Ray Of Light and it did feel like an authentic expression of Madonna's feelings at that moment. It would be very sad if the wonderful feelings expressed in Ray Of Light were used to step all over other valid feelings.

I guess it all depends on what you care about when critiquing art. Some people are more interested in the technical side of things, some commercial, some emotional..

I am personally drawn to feelings that seem very real and ironic expressions in art. This is why I am such a fan of Madonna.

In her albums I look forward to her voice and her way of expressing what she wants to say. That's what I care about above everything.

She wanted to make it a double album to get out of her contract but that didn't fly with the record company so she scratch that idea.

What are you talking about? If I may ask :semifunny:

The tours are built around the studio releases in terms of her 2007 Live Nation contract. Live nation is a touring company, she has a separate distribution-only deal with Universal for three studio albums. According to that 2007 agreement she owed four tours and three studio albums, we are at the third tour and second studio album.

Assuming Madonna "wants out of it" she's smarter than resorting to a pathetic trick of splitting the release in two so that a double album could be counted as two separate albums :rotfl::crazy: It's like people saying she extended S&S so that it would count as two tours :lmao: Your post makes no sense, really, where is the source for starters, or is it just fan interpretative thinking? :blink:

I'm personally glad Madonna has done these sex songs, when ROL came out it was clear we'd never see the sexual side again, I'm glad she's revisited this theme.

It's so bizarre though, I really couldn't imagine her even contemplating writing a sexual song during ROF, Music, AL and COADF era. It's like she was a completely different person, she came across very cultivated during these eras. She still is now, she's just being a rebel ha!

True. She's just being Madonna! No husband around her telling what to do!

Still can't believe actual fans are arguing over the sex songs..."not classy"..."not rebellious"..."vulgar"... wow, NEVER thought I'd see that in Madonna fandom.

Whether they're tongue-in-cheek or sincere (and usually hers are a mix of both), I LIVE for that side of Madonna.

I hope she does an album full of pussy songs at the age of 72 just to spite y'all.

I do not really mind the sex songs, but I enjoy the ballads and the preachy songs way more...

"I wish Madonna didn’t carry the burden of being 56 in a world where Britney is ancient at 33, because Madge’s new album is her best this century. "

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hot damn.