"Rebel Heart" Reviews [continued] - thread 2

Not a review, but the NY Times ran this article by the Associated Press yesterday in which they say RH is "one of her most critically acclaimed efforts in years." They then reference Time, LA Times, and USA Today reviews.

Good, free promo!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/aponline/2015/03/11/arts/ap-us-music-madonna.html?_r=0&referrer=

Hai... Thanks for posting.

I wonder if, because of Madonna's 'genre', and let's just say 'pop' (for the sake of it),

some reviewers r out of touch? I don't mean that in a oh-they-can't-criticize-her-cuz-i'm-a-fan-way...

but they seem out of touch with the back story of the genre & who she is...notice how even young

reviewers r obviously in the know when it comes 2 older rock, punk or hip hop music...but with pop it's

just sorta what's out there @ the moment that they reference...

I mean really, comparing a personal Madonna lyric 2 Katy Perry?? Where have these people been??

I wonder if, because of Madonna's 'genre', and let's just say 'pop' (for the sake of it),

some reviewers r out of touch? I don't mean that in a oh-they-can't-criticize-her-cuz-i'm-a-fan-way...

but they seem out of touch with the back story of the genre & who she is...notice how even young

reviewers r obviously in the know when it comes 2 older rock, punk or hip hop music...but with pop it's

just sorta what's out there @ the moment that they reference...

I mean really, comparing a personal Madonna lyric 2 Katy Perry?? Where have these people been??

oh god THIS!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

They seem to only be able to swallow pop through their "I listen to indie/rock/punk/hip-hop so I know what real music is" paradigm, so they can't really grasp anything else, let alone put it in a proper context among music of that actual genre (in this case, pop).

this country i live in has to be the most anti madonna country ever. only one publication gave her a good review. (knack. but then again i think he's a fan as he was at le grand journal) and it's the magazine with the least sales compared to the others who give mixed & bad reviews.

the mixed review thanks the producers more than madonna and says its a smart calculated move to show her inner feelings to sell her record. even mentioning there's some good songs for a musical about her later, as if it's all calculated. another review is ruthless, "veni vidi vici? i don't think so" (i refuse to read the full thing) (but i think he's a gaga fan, whatever) i know madonna isn't liked much overall, but the british and american reviews at least seem to give her a try, give her a chance. even the germans. here it's as if she's untalented and a britney kind of star. it's sad. i can't believe anyone could be this cynical and obvious in their bias. it shouldn't be allowed.

they even say she gets good reviews because she put enough "heart" songs in it with amazing producers, that that kind of shit always works for a comeback, you know.. just so you don't think the reviewer may be biased in case you previously read 10 other reviews that said it's amazing. no, we have to make sure people think it really is bad, even if it's good.

if you think NME is bad, you're lucky you don't live in the bitter ass country called belgium.

and whats with the indie/hipster/snobby reviews giving shit to the most experimental songs? if anything pitchfork would love body shop & devil pray. you can bet if grimes or some other girl wrote that they'd say it's the kind of songs madonna wish she could make.

This is a good one! The Washington Blade is one of Washington, DC's free gay newspapers.

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2015/03/12/tough-but-tender-madonna-rebel-heart/

Most people’s — even celebrities — public and private selves don’t have as wide a gulf between them as Madonna’s, one imagines. Her status as a pop culture icon and the human vulnerability underneath are juxtaposed wonderfully on “Rebel Heart,” the new album out this week that’s easily her best effort since “Confessions on a Dance Floor” and her most personal album since “Ray of Light.”

She collaborates with Diplo, Avicii and others to help bring in fresh sounds, but the message and mission of the album is pure, unadulterated Madonna.

On opening track and lead single, “Living for Love,” an impossibly catchy dance track, she finds strength to move on with her life and embrace love, regardless of previous heartbreak (or Brit Awards tumbles). The brilliantly composed “Messiah” is a somber and reflective ballad and would not have been out of place on “Ray of Light,” serving as a foil to the much more optimistic breakup song “Living for Love.”

“Ghosttown” is another perfectly lovely ballad. The auto-tune can get a bit distracting, but Madonna makes up for it in lyrical and production savvy.

“Bitch, I’m Madonna” and “Unapologetic Bitch” aren’t particularly distinguishable, though Nicki Minaj fans may prefer the latter where Minaj has a verse leagues better than the couplets she forced out on “Give Me All Your Luvin’.” It also has a great breakdown, which is likely thanks to Diplo. Both songs are up-tempo, danceable tracks that, lyrically, capture the tough, Teflon-like image of Madge.

As a contrast, “Joan of Arc” is haunting. Madonna expresses the pain she often feels when dealing with insecurities, criticism and other negative aspects of fame. In expressing her vulnerability, Madonna may have penned her most honest lyrics to date here.

Likewise, “Wash All Over Me” is a beautiful ballad likely describing Madonna’s struggle in the modern-day music industry, where she’s torn between trying to keep up with younger artists or going gently into that good night and, heaven forbid, retire.

Perhaps the most memorable song is the last and titular track, “Rebel Heart,” a jaunty tune tailor made for repeat listening, but one that also packs lyrical heft, where Madonna addresses her professional rebellions and need for attention. While she describes feelings of isolation, she is confident in her choices and reinventions and remains steadfast in her individualistic nature. It’s a much more mature reflection on her character than the two “Bitch” cuts.

The album isn’t without its sub-par moments. In “Devil Pray,” Madonna lists all the drugs she knows how to do. And “S.E.X” is about as subtle as its title suggests, trading in masterful lyrics and metaphor for dead horse beating. “Body Shop” borders on novelty but is musically interesting while “Illuminati” does little but perplex.

“Rebel Heart” is a musically inventive compilation and lyrically superior to more recent Madonna efforts. Across 19 tracks, she describes struggling to balance public perceptions of her strength with her hidden insecurities. It’s the album Madonna has been trying to produce for a decade. Regardless of its commercial success, it’s a brilliantly crafted album and could launch Madonna’s next heyday.

But I don't understand why the media keeps misinterpreting Devil Pray. It's so clearly an anti- drugs song.

The pitchfork review is not as bad as I thought it would be given the type of publication it is. It's another example of how there's a fairly positive review but the rating is very low.

A number of outlets that are included in MDNA's Metacritic score have not posted RH reviews, it looks.

Why hasn't Mojo's RH review been added to Metacritic? It was available last month.

Metro weekly, DC's other free gay newspaper hasn't reviewed it yet. But they are Madonna haters. They already did a negative review of the first 6 songs. So I'm expecting another Washington Post like trashing from them.

Finland's biggest news magazine (Helsingin Sanomat) gave Rebel heart 4/5 review:

"Rebel Heart is Madonna's strongest album in years."

Review praised LFL, GT, UB and DP. The critic felt like all the rap guests were unnecessary. He also said the album was too long.

^ and good reviews DO matter. My Colleagues had read the review yesterday (that magazine has huge amount of readers) and some of them told me that they were going to buy the album because they had only read good things about it.

:)

^ and good reviews DO matter. My Colleagues had read the review yesterday (that magazine has huge amount of readers) and some of them told me that they were going to buy the album because they had only read good things about it.

:)

That's nice to hear but also rather strange. You'd think that people would listen to iTunes previews or stream albums on Spotify or check some songs on Youtube first before buying an album...

Apparently at pitchfork, the actual numerical rating is based on average of the ratings of all of their staff, not just on the opinion of the person who wrote the actual review. So I guess that's why it's so low.

That's nice to hear but also rather strange. You'd think that people would listen to iTunes previews or stream albums on Spotify or check some songs on Youtube first before buying an album...

^^ Finns work differently. :tigger::tigger:

Apparently at pitchfork, the actual numerical rating is based on average of the ratings of all of their staff, not just on the opinion of the person who wrote the actual review. So I guess that's why it's so low.

it's actually more strange....it means some of them give it a 4 or 3.... :angry:

not that much....a lot of people, especially the older ones.... :cries::cries: ...don't go at all to itunes or doesn't have spotify and trust their fave critics....

Is that how Ariana Grande's messy album got 7.7?

I love how some of the critics are saying " Best music in a decade / Great Lyrics / Over 30 years career and not perfect but amongst her best work ." 6/10 or 3/5 stars . I mean does it pain them to give her a more deserved rating ? Will their fingers bleed if they type 8/10 or 4/5 stars ?