Calling out M's older fans (prior to AL): How was it like then?

5iVe Elements

I'm a real old fart. I've been with Madonna since 1983 when she began her mega career. I loved her music, but I had never seen her on the tv performing, but when I saw her singing 'Like A Virgin' on Top of the Pops she just blew me away.

I have never been a loyal fan of any singer or band. I like someone then 3 months later get bored and drop them, but not with Madonna. She fascinated me then and she fascinates me now. Her music is the soundtrack of my life. Back in 84 and 85 she was everywhere. On magazines, papers, film, video etc it was back to back Madonna. Yes she had her haters, but the young girls (inc me) wanted to look like her, dress like her, wear crucifixes and have her attitude.

In 86/87 she was bigger then ever. A global superstar. Already written off by critics, but she came back with Like A Prayer and Vogue and the Blond Ambition Tour. Madonna was going nowhere.

The Erotica/sex era was hard to deal with as she was universally ripped to shreds by the media but she just picked herself up and off we went again.

Not once have I ever drifted from her. I still get butterflies in my tum when I see her on stage, I still love her outlook on life, and I will continue to enjoy her for as long as she is there.

The woman is as much part of me as my right arm. I'm proud to be a veteran old fart Madonna fan.

I'm a real old fart. I've been with Madonna since 1983 when she began her mega career. I loved her music, but I had never seen her on the tv performing, but when I saw her singing 'Like A Virgin' on Top of the Pops she just blew me away.

I have never been a loyal fan of any singer or band. I like someone then 3 months later get bored and drop them, but not with Madonna. She fascinated me then and she fascinates me now. Her music is the soundtrack of my life. Back in 84 and 85 she was everywhere. On magazines, papers, film, video etc it was back to back Madonna. Yes she had her haters, but the young girls (inc me) wanted to look like her, dress like her, wear crucifixes and have her attitude.

In 86/87 she was bigger then ever. A global superstar. Already written off by critics, but she came back with Like A Prayer and Vogue and the Blond Ambition Tour. Madonna was going nowhere.

The Erotica/sex era was hard to deal with as she was universally ripped to shreds by the media but she just picked herself up and off we went again.

Not once have I ever drifted from her. I still get butterflies in my tum when I see her on stage, I still love her outlook on life, and I will continue to enjoy her for as long as she is there.

The woman is as much part of me as my right arm. I'm proud to be a veteran old fart Madonna fan.

Loved reading this.

I have been a fan of Madonna from the very beginning and never jumped ship or considered jumping ship. Dressed like her around the Like a Virgin era, was stunned but thrilled by her daring image and music change for True Blue and Like a Prayer cemented her as a superstar second to none in my book. Erotica was tough as she copped such a backlash but she rode it like the trouper she is. Feel lucky to have watched her turn into a superstar in front of my eyes and remain one. With Madonna, we know she always produces fantastic music and does things her way. Always has and always will.

I fell in love with Madonna when I saw the "Lucky Star" video on MTV. I was only 13 years old. Later on my older brother and I saw her for the first time on "The Virgin Tour" April 12th, 1985 at The Paramount Theatre in Seattle, WA. I had turned 15 then and this was my first concert and I will never forget it. Madonna came onto the stage like a whirlwind and blew my mind! She performed a nice tight set and incorporated a number of costume changes. Looking back I realize what a treat it was to see her in such an intimate setting. Here is the set list:

Dress You Up

Holiday

Into The Groove

Everybody

Angel

Gambler

Borderline

Lucky Star

Crazy For You

Over And Over

Burning Up

Like A Virgin

Material Girl

Since then my brother and I have made it our tradition to see Madonna on every tour and many times have incorporated vacations around her shows too. Here is a list of the shows:

1.The Virgin Tour - April 12th, 1985 - The Paramount Theatre in Seattle, WA

2. Who's That Girl World Tour - July 15th, 1987 - Kingdome in Seattle, WA

3. Blonde Ambition World Tour - May 11th, 1990 - Los Angeles, CA - Memorial Sports Arena

4. The Girlie Show World Tour - September 26th, 1993 - London, England - Wembley Stadium

5. Drowned World Tour - June 26th, 2001 - Paris, France - Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy

6. Drowned World Tour - Sept 9th, 2001 - Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center

7. Re-Invention World Tour - June 17th, 2004 - New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden

8. The Confessions Tour - August 6th, 2006 - Rome, Italy - Stadio Olimpico

9. Sticky & Sweet Tour - Oct 30th, 2008 - Vancouver, BC - BC Place

10. Sticky & Sweet Tour - July 21, 2009 - Barcelona, Spain - Estadi Olimpic Lluis Companys

11. The MDNA Tour - June 28th, 2012 - Berlin, Germany - 02 World Berlin

12. The MDNA Tour - Sept 29th, 2012 - Vancouver, BC - Rogers Arena

I want to thank Madonna for a lifetime of wonderful music and I also appreciate being able to "Express Myself" here at the Madonna Nation Forums. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

I've been a Madonna fan from the beginning. My family didn't have cable so I watched a weeked show called "RockBox" that played videos. I was mesmerized by "Borderline". Madonna was so awesome -- a confident badass. VERY similar to Debbie Harry but Madonna just took it to a level that was beyond what any other woman had ever done. I also remember all the negativity directed at her -- she was so tough, like tethlon. I was always amazed by how anyone so bombarded with scathing criticism could move forward, do her own thing, and just dominate in the wake of it all. She is often compared to MJ but he did it all while being lauded as a genius (up until the pedofile accusatioins) but Madonna became one of histories ultimate icons while suffering constant brutal criticism. I always have wondered is Madonna measures her success by how horribly she is criticized.

I've been a Madonna fan from the beginning. My family didn't have cable so I watched a weeked show called "RockBox" that played videos. I was mesmerized by "Borderline". Madonna was so awesome -- a confident badass. VERY similar to Debbie Harry but Madonna just took it to a level that was beyond what any other woman had ever done. I also remember all the negativity directed at her -- she was so tough, like tethlon. I was always amazed by how anyone so bombarded with scathing criticism could move forward, do her own thing, and just dominate in the wake of it all. She is often compared to MJ but he did it all while being lauded as a genius (up until the pedofile accusatioins) but Madonna became one of histories ultimate icons while suffering constant brutal criticism. I always have wondered is Madonna measures her success by how horribly she is criticized.

I love this! Tough like tethlon!

it-must-suck-to-have-a-lisp_o_653209.jpg

Btw, thanks for sharing your story. How cool!