Calling out all M's newer fans: how was it to discover M this late in her career?

mnino

Did you use wikipedia? Youtube? How did you get to know about her? Was it overwhelming? What caught your attention the most? What surprised you? What era do you wish you could have experienced the most??

I imagine a 14 year old in 2014 seeing her performance of "Sooner of Later" on youtube for the first time and I wonder what was going through his or her mind. I'm very curious about that kind of stuff so if you are willing to share, please humor me.

I would consider "newer" fans anyone that became a fan since Celebration. Anyone here??

P.S.: Can you believe it's been over half a decade since Celebration was released???

I'm 25 and i became a fan in 2010. I've always heard about her since i was born without even really knowing much of her songs or anything. She's such a legend, you just know who she is. For most of my life i wasn't really into music, i was more into movies. But it changed around 2008, i started watching a lot of music videos on Youtube out of curiosity and i became a music addict.

Since i really liked pop music and wanted to hear more songs from music legends, i decided to listen to Madonna's first album on Youtube. And i got blown away by every song on it, not a single filler. I ended up listening to her whole discography and all i can say is: i can't believe i missed so much incredible and groudbreaking music for more than 20 years. Her tours were also so fascinating to watch, so creative and inspired. Truly the best of the best.

What surprised me the most about Madonna is how DIVERSE her music catalogue was. For some reason i always saw her as a dance-pop artist and nothing more (unfortunately, there's still a lot of people who think that way). Hearing so many musical genres in her albums was seriously amazing, mostly because it was always well done, never forced or anything. Her musical evolution seemed so natural.

Now i can't imagine my life without Madonna. Her music is my drug, i can't spent a single day without listening to her songs. And i know i'm a fan for life, no matter what happens next. I seriously can't understand all those "ex-fans", how can you possibly stop being a fan of so much incredible music, performances and videos? I feel sorry for them, it's ultimately their loss. As for me i know i'll be enjoying Madonna's music and performances for the next 25 years and even more :thumbsup:

I consider myself a newer fan, but it's kind of hard to say exactly when it happened. Madonna is an enormous star, so even when I wasn't "a fan", per se, I was still hyper aware of her career (even though I didn't realize how much until later). All those sad years when I didn't particularly care for Madonna, I still more or less knew a lot of her videos, I had the songs Vogue, Like A Prayer and Ray of Light on my ipod, etc.

I think I became truly obsessed about 2-3 years ago, but I wouldn't say MDNA is what attracted me to her (even though this era I guess this is what got my attention). It was sort of unprovoked, but I started watching more of her videos on youtube, and some of them I was like "oh my god, I remember this!" (Human Nature comes to mind), and then I gradually came to know more of her material and realized that she's brilliant. I have a particular affinity for her 80s stuff, a lot of that style is trendy now and Madonna is the ultimate embodiment of 80s cool. I don't think my generation gives her enough credit or really understands how cool she actually is, even to this day. Madonna is someone who continually pushed boundaries, she was ahead of her time. That got her a lot of criticism, and in the past that criticism shaped public attitudes towards her that were negative. In 2015, those criticisms are unfounded because times have changed, but the vestiges of those attitudes live on and I think this is why people are hesitant to embrace her. I was hesitant to embrace her for a long time, and I deeply regret it. When I watched Truth or Dare for the first time, I was so in awe of her - her strength, her assertiveness, her artistry. Her sheer bad-assery. It made me wonder wtf I was doing my whole life before I became a fan lol. I guess it was because I was too pretentious to admit I liked pop music when I was young. When I shook those insecurities and finally gave Madonna a chance, I realized she was so much more than just a pop artist. I'm still in awe of how diverse her music is.

I feel ashamed that I'm so late to the party. I have a lot of respect for her older fans who have been here since the beginning, I can't imagine how amazing that must have been to see her entire career unfold, let alone to see landmark tours like Blond Ambition in person. On the other hand, I kind of like being a newer fan because there is still so much to discover. I'll never forget the first time I watched the full Blond Ambition tour online, it was indescribable. And yes, hearing her sing "Sooner or Later" was amazing, I listened to that album and thought "holy shit, this woman can do anything".

However, it's tricky with Madonna. Looking back, I feel like she's always been a part of my life. I have memories of being really young and watching her videos on television, of hearing "Hung Up" playing in the skating rink while I was with my friends in middle school, of watching the "Like A Prayer" video in my History of Pop Culture class. It's not like becoming a fan of some indie artist and then "discovering" them; turns out, there is so much I already knew about Madonna without even knowing it. I guess that's why she's Madonna. Even if you're a critic, even if you "don't like Madonna", you still kinda like Madonna. Sooner or later everyone will realize that.

I'm almost 29 and have always been a fan since a very young age, but a friend of mine who is 27 became a fan of her through the spice girls, lol. She said that hearing them talk about Madonna boosted her curiosity so she looked her up and she started hearing all her big hits and said she recognized the songs from before even though until then she didn't know who she was. She went and picked up the immaculate collection cd and from then on became a huge fan, that is why if you ask her what her favorite album is she will say immaculate collection!

I'm 18 and I became a mega fan in 2011, so I was 15 years old (Although I may have been listening to her since 2010, I can't really remember). At first I just began listening to some of her songs like Like a Prayer, Give It 2 Me, Into the Groove, Hung Up, Like a Virgin, and Vogue. Then I decided out of no where that I would listen to all of her albums in order over the course of about 2 weeks or so. So I put on MADONNA and things were never the same.

The albums that truly caught my attention were Erotica and American Life, at least at first. I think the rebellious nature of those albums really appealed to the teenage version of my self, and still do! Although I remember obsessively listening to all the Madonna tracks and lots of True Blue. I was completely blown away by her body of work. I had an obsessive stage with each of her albums.

Soon though, I really began to come around to each and every album. Now of course I love every single album and every single song. Once MDNA came out things were cemented even further. I went to the MDNA Tour and I've never been the same!!

I also remember being completely obsessed with the Express Yourself, Justify My Love, Erotica, Like a Prayer, and Papa Don't Preach videos.

Overall though, it was her music and albums that really made me love her. Everything else was secondary.

Edited by Shan

I'm 20 and I became a fan when I was 17 in late 2011. As funny as it might sound I became a fan when the GMAYL demo leaked. I loved that song so much. And then I did some research and found out she was going to be releasing an album (MDNA) before the album dropped I just looked up more stuff about her (Wikipedia helped a lot) and i YouTube'd music videos and perfomances also the interviews from the past. When I watched Truth or Dare for the first time I was amazed by how in control she was and just what a bad ass woman she is. That documentary really made me like her a lot bc it showed other parts of her that most people don't see. The first songs I listened to were the obvious classics like LAV, MG, Holiday, LAP, and Vogur but then I discovered more and more. Early 2012 I bought the Warner remasters of the first album, LAV, and TB I also bought ROL and BS. Eventually I ended up buying all of her albums and collecting more and more stuff.Then the Super Bowl happened and we all know how amazing that was. When MDNA came out I loved it so much and played it non stop. But meanwhile I kept researching her more and finding out how amazing she was and just fell in love with all that she has done. I attended the MDNA tour that fall and I was completely slayed by how amazing it was and the experience.

Oh btw the first song of hers was Music back in 2000 since it was all over the place. :)

I'm 25 and i became a fan in 2010. I've always heard about her since i was born without even really knowing much of her songs or anything. She's such a legend, you just know who she is. For most of my life i wasn't really into music, i was more into movies. But it changed around 2008, i started watching a lot of music videos on Youtube out of curiosity and i became a music addict.

Since i really liked pop music and wanted to hear more songs from music legends, i decided to listen to Madonna's first album on Youtube. And i got blown away by every song on it, not a single filler. I ended up listening to her whole discography and all i can say is: i can't believe i missed so much incredible and groudbreaking music for more than 20 years. Her tours were also so fascinating to watch, so creative and inspired. Truly the best of the best.

What surprised me the most about Madonna is how DIVERSE her music catalogue was. For some reason i always saw her as a dance-pop artist and nothing more (unfortunately, there's still a lot of people who think that way). Hearing so many musical genres in her albums was seriously amazing, mostly because it was always well done, never forced or anything. Her musical evolution seemed so natural.

Now i can't imagine my life without Madonna. Her music is my drug, i can't spent a single day without listening to her songs. And i know i'm a fan for life, no matter what happens next. I seriously can't understand all those "ex-fans", how can you possibly stop being a fan of so much incredible music, performances and videos? I feel sorry for them, it's ultimately their loss. As for me i know i'll be enjoying Madonna's music and performances for the next 25 years and even more :thumbsup:

This is really cool! Thanks!

I consider myself a newer fan, but it's kind of hard to say exactly when it happened. Madonna is an enormous star, so even when I wasn't "a fan", per se, I was still hyper aware of her career (even though I didn't realize how much until later). All those sad years when I didn't particularly care for Madonna, I still more or less knew a lot of her videos, I had the songs Vogue, Like A Prayer and Ray of Light on my ipod, etc.
I think I became truly obsessed about 2-3 years ago, but I wouldn't say MDNA is what attracted me to her (even though this era I guess this is what got my attention). It was sort of unprovoked, but I started watching more of her videos on youtube, and some of them I was like "oh my god, I remember this!" (Human Nature comes to mind), and then I gradually came to know more of her material and realized that she's brilliant. I have a particular affinity for her 80s stuff, a lot of that style is trendy now and Madonna is the ultimate embodiment of 80s cool. I don't think my generation gives her enough credit or really understands how cool she actually is, even to this day. Madonna is someone who continually pushed boundaries, she was ahead of her time. That got her a lot of criticism, and in the past that criticism shaped public attitudes towards her that were negative. In 2015, those criticisms are unfounded because times have changed, but the vestiges of those attitudes live on and I think this is why people are hesitant to embrace her. I was hesitant to embrace her for a long time, and I deeply regret it. When I watched Truth or Dare for the first time, I was so in awe of her - her strength, her assertiveness, her artistry. Her sheer bad-assery. It made me wonder wtf I was doing my whole life before I became a fan lol. I guess it was because I was too pretentious to admit I liked pop music when I was young. When I shook those insecurities and finally gave Madonna a chance, I realized she was so much more than just a pop artist. I'm still in awe of how diverse her music is.
I feel ashamed that I'm so late to the party. I have a lot of respect for her older fans who have been here since the beginning, I can't imagine how amazing that must have been to see her entire career unfold, let alone to see landmark tours like Blond Ambition in person. On the other hand, I kind of like being a newer fan because there is still so much to discover. I'll never forget the first time I watched the full Blond Ambition tour online, it was indescribable. And yes, hearing her sing "Sooner or Later" was amazing, I listened to that album and thought "holy shit, this woman can do anything".
However, it's tricky with Madonna. Looking back, I feel like she's always been a part of my life. I have memories of being really young and watching her videos on television, of hearing "Hung Up" playing in the skating rink while I was with my friends in middle school, of watching the "Like A Prayer" video in my History of Pop Culture class. It's not like becoming a fan of some indie artist and then "discovering" them; turns out, there is so much I already knew about Madonna without even knowing it. I guess that's why she's Madonna. Even if you're a critic, even if you "don't like Madonna", you still kinda like Madonna. Sooner or later everyone will realize that.
******insert applause*****

Absolutely no need to be ashamed. I love that BAT had the same impact on you that it did on me 25 years ago (ugh! I'm getting old!).

I sometimes feel like I'm a new fan,but then I realize that year 2000 was 15 years ago :manson:

:lmao: I can relate. I just realized that BAT was 25 years ago!!!! Some Ray-of-Lighters have been fans for 17 years and still hope she records ROL 2.0. They all should move to Australia and wait for a tour also.

I'm 20 and I became a fan when I was 17 in late 2011. As funny as it might sound I became a fan when the GMAYL demo leaked. I loved that song so much. And then I did some research and found out she was going to be releasing an album (MDNA) before the album dropped I just looked up more stuff about her (Wikipedia helped a lot) and i YouTube'd music videos and perfomances also the interviews from the past. When I watched Truth or Dare for the first time I was amazed by how in control she was and just what a bad ass woman she is. That documentary really made me like her a lot bc it showed other parts of her that most people don't see. The first songs I listened to were the obvious classics like LAV, MG, Holiday, LAP, and Vogur but then I discovered more and more. Early 2012 I bought the Warner remasters of the first album, LAV, and TB I also bought ROL and BS. Eventually I ended up buying all of her albums and collecting more and more stuff.Then the Super Bowl happened and we all know how amazing that was. When MDNA came out I loved it so much and played it non stop. But meanwhile I kept researching her more and finding out how amazing she was and just fell in love with all that she has done. I attended the MDNA tour that fall and I was completely slayed by how amazing it was and the experience.

Oh btw the first song of hers was Music back in 2000 since it was all over the place. :)

Awesome!

I'm 18 and I became a mega fan in 2011, so I was 15 years old (Although I may have been listening to her since 2010, I can't really remember). At first I just began listening to some of her songs like Like a Prayer, Give It 2 Me, Into the Groove, Hung Up, Like a Virgin, and Vogue. Then I decided out of no where that I would listen to all of her albums in order over the course of about 2 weeks or so. So I put on MADONNA and things were never the same.

The albums that truly caught my attention were Erotica and American Life, at least at first. I think the rebellious nature of those albums really appealed to the teenage version of my self, and still do! Although I remember obsessively listening to all the Madonna tracks and lots of True Blue. I was completely blown away by her body of work. I had an obsessive stage with each of her albums.

Soon though, I really began to come around to each and every album. Now of course I love every single album and every single song. Once MDNA came out things were cemented even further. I went to the MDNA Tour and I've never been the same!!

I also remember being completely obsessed with the Express Yourself, Justify My Love, Erotica, Like a Prayer, and Papa Don't Preach videos.

Overall though, it was her music and albums that really made me love her. Everything else was secondary.

********insert applause******

Thanks y'all, this stuff fascinates me.

My uncle was always (and still is) a huge Madonna fan and my mom loves her too, so I grew up surrounded by her stuff. I remember he had recorded a bunch of videos from the tv on a VHS but he never allowed me to be around when Erotica was on, so one time I was hiding behind a couch to watch it and I thought "that's it?" :chuckle: I kind of hated her, but just to be contrary. When Hard Candy came out I was 11 and liked some songs like 4 Minutes, Give it 2 Me, Miles Away and Beat Goes on. But I became a fan on 2010, being 13 years old. I watched the S&S Tour on tv and she blew my mind! But the turning point was this time, few weeks after watching S&S , it was late at night and I was watching tv, changed to VH1 and they were showing a Madonna 80s video marathon and the host would talk about the videos and the controversies that surround them during the time, I completely fell for her! Then I downloaded Celebration and researched about her history. At first I mostly listened to her 80s albums, and only her singles from 90s-00s, and that changed after watching The Girlie Show tour. After that I bought Erotica and again, she blew my mind. Then I started to slowly discover all of her studio albums, videos, tours, looks... Everything. I couldn't and still can't get enough of her!

I'm almost 19 and I became a megafan in 2010, actually almost exactly 5 years ago to the week now. It was the exact same week I came out of the closet, ironically. I remember just randomly having an impulse to look up Madonna on YouTube that day and the first link I clicked on was her Like a Virgin performance at the '84 VMAs and from that moment on I was hooked. That very same week I performed LAV with some altered lyrics for my middle school's Renaissance Festival and mimicked Madonna's performance, haha. I was actually a huge hit, people loved it!

Anyways, I think you could technically date my fandom back to the Confessions era because I remember constantly seeing both Hung Up and Sorry play on MTV and I was so mesmerized and enthralled by Madonna. I just thought she was so sexy and different and incredible. I couldn't believe when my mom told me that M was like 5 years older than she was! I also remember watching the Super Bowl a few years later and that Sunsilk commercial came on with ROL and I was hypnotized by it. I thought it was the most amazing, interesting song I'd ever heard and I immediately searched the web to find out what it was and who sang it.

But basically in 2010 I went back and discovered her career in chronological order and started from the beginning and worked my way up to the present day. 2010 was a strange time to become fan because she was pretty quiet for the next couple years so I had plenty of time to delve into her work but at the same time it made it difficult for me to truly understand how incredibly famous and popular she actually is. It wasn't till the Super Bowl that I had my first live Madonna moment and really was able to appreciate her fame and power.

I would consider "newer" fans anyone that became a fan since Celebration. Anyone here??

In my book I would consider a "newer" fan as anyone who became a fan since Like A Virgin.

:old::queenbitch:

It was the worst time in Madonna history. I barely made it through.

:dramatic:

But in the end it was worth the wait. I was blown away when I first heared LAP. I remember I almost cried when I hold the album in my hand the first time.

I became a fan in 2011. It actually started when Hung Up was a huge hit world wide but I was an emo kid so I didn't pay attention to pop music, I just remember hearing the ABBA sample and a female voice and really liking but I was so afraid of liking it because I thought that would make me gay (I was 15 and didn't even know what I was). Then in 2008 4 Minutes and Give It 2 Me were HUGE hits in Mexico and I thought it was cool that Madonna was still making music and looking hot but I was still perched to rock music :lmao:

Then Madonna started beeping on my radar again in 2009 when I was waiting for my girlfriend( :madgemanson: ) to finish buying some shoes and Celebration was playing on MTV and I was like damn what a cool lady! But it soon diminished. 2011 came and I was browsing a bodybuilding forum and some kid was saying how a song always reminded him of his drug addiction days because it would always be played and it was a Madonna song, it got me curious so I went on Youtube to listen to it and it was Hung Up, the song I've always loved but never wanted to search, I was 20 so I was more open minded and started blasting it everyday. I started looking Madonna up everyday on Google to see what was she up to, I listened to Sorry, then Hard Candy and I haven't stopped since :madonna2:

Edited by AlanLongoria

I don't know if I should consider myself new, but I wasn't a big fan until 2013. I was watching the local news one night and the celebrity headline was Madonna as #1 Highest Paid Musician in 2013. I was so surprised to see that news because I haven't heard anything about her for quite awhile in this part of my world (Philippines), so to learn that she's still going strong, and #1 at that, I thought, darn gurl. I was so proud.

I remember the first time I saw Blond Ambition Tour (Yokohama) in VHS. It was in the '90s and I was in high school. My classmates and I watched it for LAV because of the scandal it made. Needless to say, we were blown away by it all. LAV was sinfully delicious, BUT Live To Tell/Oh Father was a whole different experience. It was the first time I got addicted to a song.

I don't know what happened after, but maybe because there was no internet to keep me updated then, I was on and off into her. Only when there was a new hit song would I hear about her. When Take A Bow came out, it was played on the radio constantly and it was a favorite. It became the song of the year.

Evita came and I made my family listen to Don't Cry For Me Argentina to persuade them to see the movie with me. They don't like musicals, but they watched Evita with me.

The first time I saw Frozen video was during lunch at work. Everybody was glued to the screen. It was so original, so fresh and unique. I was amazed again. I bought my first cd of her then, ROL. Then Drowned World came out and I bought that too.

By the time she got married I haven't heard much about her. I was working abroad and I got into non-pop music, lost touch of what's going on with her and have more or less lost interest of everything pop.

Then that news in 2013. STILL #1. Really? How did she do it? I was so intrigued. I got on the net to check her out and it was a whole new level of M. Everything is now accessible. The more I learn of her, the more I got into her. I admired her before as an artist, more so now that I've seen all her concerts on DVD (god, MDNA!) but I love her now as a person.

You see, I never knew about her AIDS days. I never knew about her mom, her teacher and her artist friends. Of how she struggled during her early years in New York. Her drive and ambition and the barriers through it all. Her stand on equality and freedom. I knew she had a reputation for sarcasm. I didn't realize what a hoot she is until I went over her interviews and videos. Then of Malawi, schools, writing books, directing, all the things she's accomplished. A cool mom too. And of the bad press inspite of it all. They haven't done one iota of all the things she has, did they? And yet how they critique... I just mentioned that because I find it so unfair. But hey, who's still on top? :)

She's no saint, of course, and I can imagine her laughing hard at that. But she's for real, flaws and all. There's nothing like M nor will there ever be. I'm in awe of her. There's no forgetting this time.

Edited by luilarios

I'm 19 now and I've always liked Madonna actually, I remembering growing up and loved watching her music videos shown on TV (Get Together and Jump especially) and buying her albums (I was more of a casual fan).. However, I started becoming a die hard mega fan/collector during the MDNA era.

This is my first post. So, hi... :vogue:

I became a fan in 2001, when I was 14. I still consider myself a new fan because as someone here only semi-facetiously wrote, anything after the early '80s puts you in the new fan camp, so I'm posting my little 'Story of M' here.

My mom has always liked Madonna (I wouldn't call her a huge fan, though, just a casual admirer) so I remember her playing songs from the True Blue and Like a Prayer albums throughout my childhood. And she was obsessed with Music (the song) and Beautiful Stranger when it came out. I, however, was too busy liking the Spice Girls and other '90s pop groups at the time to really pay much attention. Maybe I just wasn't ready for M at that age. I saw an advert for GHV2 right before Christmas and recognized quite a few songs, so I asked for the album and got it. And the rest, as they say, is herstory.

I was amazed how many of the songs on that collection I'd heard prior to knowing they were Madonna's. And now that I'm aware of Madonna's entire career I can understand why so many fans were underwhelmed -- that's putting it mildly -- by GHV2, but because it was the first Madonna album I owned, it will always have sentimental value for me. I was transfixed by the images in the artwork; it struck me immediately that this woman had had a mammoth career and I was suddenly obsessed with knowing as much about it as possible. I got more albums, videos and DVDs (my first one was The Drowned World Tour), read biographies, interviews and articles, watched documentaries, TV interviews and specials, collected pictures and magazine clippings. Within months I was hooked for life. And with all the unique zeal of the new convert, I could artfully steer any conversation towards coned bras, sex books and burning crosses. I even delivered unsolicited and wholly pretentious -- but entirely accurate -- speeches on The Importance of Madonna in high school and pissed off my insanely religious English teacher in the process. Bonus. I guess I was a pretty intolerable little shit for a while there. Ah well. I had seen the light and it was my duty to share.

Anyway. That's the short version of my conversion / initiation. I think I've done enough lurking and I look forward to becoming a more active member here. Glad this was my first post.

Edited by ZephyrSky