Will Madonna Re-invent Herself Again?

loowee

Ever since 2007 the Queen of Re-invention has stopped drastically changing her style and image, even her songs have mostly remained on the same lane of dance-pop music. This is also the third era in the row that she's simply being herself rather than playing a certain character that visually connects with the music.

Do you think she is over this idea of reinvention?

Do you prefer Madonna playing a character for each era or are you fine with her simply being a badass bitch?

Let's discuss, Rebel Hearts :popcorn2:

What on earth makes you think this Madonna is more 'herself' than any other we've seen? Of course she'll reinvent again.

And speaking for myself, I'm not a 'rebel heart'. The fact Madonna has adopted this putrid habit of creating a ridiculous collective term for her fans is just another recent disappointment.

HC seemed felt a reinvention in some respect because it was such a drastic departure from the previous albums.

Think she is continuing to reinvent herself and be very progressive minded, but not so severe or as obvious as before.

This looks to be one of her most diverse albums in years, stylistically. She is reaching new levels of artistic genius which is remarkable. I think she is always just evolving not reinventing, which is what she has basically stated herself. She will continue to evolve.

I would say Rebel Heart is actually quite a reinvention from MDNA. It leans much less towards dance/EDM although it has some electronic tracks, and more toward slower R&B based grooves and with quite a few ballads.

Sometimes I think the "reinvention" thing is overstated. All her records except for I'm Breathless have some element of pop/dance although they are all very different within that genre. She has an amazing ability to change but still sound and look like Madonna. That is what makes her successful. She changes but there's a core that stays the same.

What on earth makes you think this Madonna is more 'herself' than any other we've seen? Of course she'll reinvent again.

And speaking for myself, I'm not a 'rebel heart'. The fact Madonna has adopted this putrid habit of creating a ridiculous collective term for her fans is just another recent disappointment.

Come now, this #rebelhearts thing isn't even as serious as calling us "motherfuckers" since 1990. It'll be over forever at the end of the era.

She has an amazing ability to change but still sound and look like Madonna. That is what makes her successful. She changes but there's a core that stays the same.

This is a succinct statement of her ultimate genius.

This is a succinct statement of her ultimate genius.

Exactly. Artists that stay too much the same are boring. Artists that try to change too radically end up doing things that don't really work and don't suit their voice or talents and fans are alienated and are like WTF, what happened to my favorite artist!

I think Madonna's relatively unchanging style for the past decade or so is partly a reaction to the superficial, self-conscious "reinventions" that the younger pop girls have started to adopt for each new album recently, which rarely seem to go beyond a change in hair colour or length. "This is my 'grown-up' album so I'll go brunette": that sort of thing.

If you think about it, Madonna's life has changed enormously since 2007 and she seems like a very different person nowadays, and that evolution is more important.

I think Madonna's relatively unchanging style for the past decade or so is partly a reaction to the superficial, self-conscious "reinventions" that the younger pop girls have started to adopt for each new album recently, which rarely seem to go beyond a change in hair colour or length. "This is my 'grown-up' album so I'll go brunette": that sort of thing.

If you think about it, Madonna's life has changed enormously since 2007 and she seems like a very different person nowadays, and that evolution is more important.

Yes, I had the same thought. It's become a standard thing for pop girls now to change or cut their hair. I guess Madonna is a natural non-conformist. She does the opposite of everyone else. When she was changing her look a lot in the 80's and 90's not many other artists were doing that.

I agree. Now it would be pointless to drastically change her outer appearance because since Gaga came around it became the norm for everyone to constantly look as crazy and unusual as possible, to the point where the public has been oversaturated with these image fluxes and it just became visually exhausting to endure. I like that her image hasn't lingered much in the past few years. That said, reinventing herself doesn't just mean her visuals. Rebel Heart is sonically very different from MDNA, and of course her tours are where the real reinvention happens. So yes, she will reinvent herself and evolve, just not in the same ways as before.

Ever since 2007 the Queen of Re-invention has stopped drastically changing her style and image, even her songs have mostly remained on the same lane of dance-pop music. This is also the third era in the row that she's simply being herself rather than playing a certain character that visually connects with the music.

Do you think she is over this idea of reinvention?

Do you prefer Madonna playing a character for each era or are you fine with her simply being a badass bitch?

Let's discuss, Rebel Hearts :popcorn2:

I am not sure I see things the way you do on the past few eras. Certainly, her hairstyle hasn't changed as drastically but I hardly think that means she hasn't done full-on reinventions.

M-Dolla of the Hard Candy era (female boxer)

Super Vixen of the MDNA era (based on Varla from the Russ Meyer's Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!)

The Matador of the Rebel Heart (based on a Francis Bacon painting)

She's clearly still channeling characters just as before. Even the music is different, at least to me. Hard Candy definitely being hiphop/R&B-infused, MDNA being electro-pop & EDM, and Rebel Heart being all over the map (from dance pop to industrial-hiphop to folk-pop rock). In fact, I think Rebel Heart (the name) is definitely representative of the songs we've heard - the album as a whole defies any pigeon holing because it's so varied in its musical geography.

I guess I'd like to know how it seems like she's not reinventing again?

I like your points here!

Why must we call the natural change and development throughout one's life 're-invention'? Progression is reflected in Madonna's artistic output more than other popular artists because she wasn't afraid to deviate from the formula that broke her into fame. Other popular artists are too often scared to do that, and then eventually get left behind as the fashion and trend moves on without them.

I'm one of the people whom reject the argument that it was all a conscious affectation. You only need to compare Meatball and Madonna to see what superficial 're-invention' looks like for promotional purposes.

I think the absence of such 're-inventions' in the last 8 years has more to do with where Madonna is in her life stage and shifting priorities, rather than having 'given it up'.

God you are in desperate need of a sense of humor.

You know in 2 yrs she will forget that she ever called people that. She's not only referring to her fans as that either. She's been calling many of her heroes and people she considers revolutionaries that recently.

Spend more time in the Madonna section, clearly you don't get her at all.......STILL after all these years.

And you ARE a rebel heart. News flash.....your views are not the "norm" POV for most people.....that makes you a little left of center....a bit rebellious from the "norms" and you don't seem to mind sharing it with people.....sorry, but that makes you a bit of a rebel heart. ;)

I am not sure I see things the way you do on the past few eras. Certainly, her hairstyle hasn't changed as drastically but I hardly think that means she hasn't done full-on reinventions.

M-Dolla of the Hard Candy era (female boxer)

Super Vixen of the MDNA era (based on Varla from the Russ Meyer's Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!)

The Matador of the Rebel Heart (based on a Francis Bacon painting)

She's clearly still channeling characters just as before. Even the music is different, at least to me. Hard Candy definitely being hiphop/R&B-infused, MDNA being electro-pop & EDM, and Rebel Heart being all over the map (from dance pop to industrial-hiphop to folk-pop rock). In fact, I think Rebel Heart (the name) is definitely representative of the songs we've heard - the album as a whole defies any pigeon holing because it's so varied in its musical geography.

I guess I'd like to know how it seems like she's not reinventing again?

So true

I guess some want the cowboy hat or the geisha outfit or the fingerless gloves otherwise they're not getting a Madonna "era". She's past adopting one single look or vibe for an entire era. Her relevance both from a commercial and critical standpoint and the quality of her work do not depend on that, not that they ever did

As long as she's putting out good to great music and delivering as a performer as she has throughout all these years she's still on top of her game.

God you are in desperate need of a sense of humor.

You know in 2 yrs she will forget that she ever called people that. She's not only referring to her fans as that either. She's been calling many of her heroes and people she considers revolutionaries that recently.

Spend more time in the Madonna section, clearly you don't get her at all.......STILL after all these years.

And you ARE a rebel heart. News flash.....your views are not the "norm" POV for most people.....that makes you a little left of center....a bit rebellious from the "norms" and you don't seem to mind sharing it with people.....sorry, but that makes you a bit of a rebel heart. ;)

giphy.gif

Madonna is always evolving, and rather than reinventing I like to use the term "renewing" herself, to be with the times yet still keep the interest of her older listeners. She doesn't just stick to the recipe of what can make her another hit of what she already knows how to do, but is always constantly out there seeing what's hot, seeing what's new, and always working with the best the industry has to offer so that she always stays relevant.

Also in the years we have experienced many different looks and styles of Madonna, and even as far as her music goes, we heard sounds on various albums that were so different, yet always had the sound that will always be Madonna, it was never a drastic change where it was like she was a fly in milk like the Greeks say, lol, as opposed to today's artists like Taylor Swift from instance, who went from country girl with her ukulele and long virgin gowns, to all of a sudden turning into a complete pop tart that to me it looks really fake.

She has reinvented herself with this album. New imaginery (the torero outifit is GENIOUS),and a brand new way to market an album and even a new way to showcase a performance (focused in what she usually does in tours, but normally not in tv).

I believe Rebel Heart is not as much a reinvention as it is an evolution of Madonna, as an artist especially (which is a reinvention pretty much in itself). I feel like we're seeing a much more humanized Madonna than ever before. Is it just me?