REBEL HEART album credits. Madonna produced Hold Tight by herself?

I like MDNA a lot (as my play count attests), but of all of M's albums, I would most want an honest, no-holds-barred, blow-by-blow account of the making of this album. There was so much going on and so many conflicting accounts. It would make for fascinating reading.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Benassi doesn't speak english so I guess Madonna and him cowrote GGW using Google Translate by iPhone during the W.E. shoot. Magda was M's alter ego for GGW (she was stuck in a grueling movie shoot and couldn't get a single drink so she invented Magda, a gurl gun wayld who parties 24/7 and downs bottles of alcohol while writhing the boom box of unnamed clubs).

Even though the lyrics to GGW aren't the most thought-provoking, I just can't see Benassi writing lyrics like, "I got that burnin' hot desi-i-i-ire And no one can put out my fi-i-i-ire" :). It was probably a case of Benassi sending M the instrumental and they passed between each other the lyrics and ideas for the song over the phone or Skype. Who knows, maybe M sang a bit of GGW over the phone to Benassi and then he asked the singer to mimic M's vocals.

According to Patrick Moxey of Ultra Records (Benassi's label), "Girl Gone Wild" was written and composed by Jenson Vaughan in early 2011, based on a pre-existing instrumental track produced by the Benassi Bros.

It was then given to Madonna, who added the Act of Contrition intro and changed some of the lyrics.

According to Patrick Moxey of Ultra Records (Benassi's label), "Girl Gone Wild" was written and composed by Jenson Vaughan in early 2011, based on a pre-existing instrumental track produced by the Benassi Bros.

It was then given to Madonna, who added the Act of Contrition intro and changed some of the lyrics.

I think realistically M should be added to the credits of these songs at the end, not at the beginning. She is not the main songwriter. I do however think she may have a clause in her contract to ensure she is always the first name on any writing credits no matter what her input is. She's even managed to rewrite history with the Celebration album; Justify My Love - written by Madonna Ciccone, Lenny Kravitz and Ingrid Chavez??? This credit was also used on the MDNA World Tour live CD and DVD. She originally only added additional lyrics. Seems quite weird that she has been upset about the leaks and her work being stolen but she is ok basically taking someone else's art and making minor amendments then taking main credit for it (Girl Gone Wild, Turn Up the Radio, Revolver, Heartbeat, Masterpiece etc). That's simply just wrong and it's stealing. That goes for all the artists who do it. It's awful.

Benassi doesn't speak english so I guess Madonna and him cowrote GGW using Google Translate by iPhone during the W.E. shoot. Magda was M's alter ego for GGW (she was stuck in a grueling movie shoot and couldn't get a single drink so she invented Magda, a gurl gun wayld who parties 24/7 and downs bottles of alcohol while writhing the boom box of unnamed clubs).

:dead:

I think realistically M should be added to the credits of these songs at the end, not at the beginning. She is not the main songwriter. I do however think she may have a clause in her contract to ensure she is always the first name on any writing credits no matter what her input is. She's even managed to rewrite history with the Celebration album; Justify My Love - written by Madonna Ciccone, Lenny Kravitz and Ingrid Chavez??? This credit was also used on the MDNA World Tour live CD and DVD. She originally only added additional lyrics. Seems quite weird that she has been upset about the leaks and her work being stolen but she is ok basically taking someone else's art and making minor amendments then taking main credit for it (Girl Gone Wild, Turn Up the Radio, Revolver, Heartbeat, Masterpiece etc). That's simply just wrong and it's stealing. That goes for all the artists who do it. It's awful.

Can you provide some references as to why you don't think she contributed heavily to Masterpiece and Heartbeat, both of which have very classic Madonna lyrical themes? Please and thanks!

Bullshit. Setting aside (although it belongs in the garbage bin) the baseless insult towards Madonna, how about the people you seem to think are just a bunch of

morons?

Seems quite weird that she has been upset about the leaks and her work being stolen but she is ok basically taking someone else's art and making minor amendments then taking main credit for it.

I don't get how these things are related in any way, it's not like she claims she has written those songs, she just adds her name but the rest of the people still get the royalties. It's been like that for 20 years now (Bedtime Story is the last non-cover Madonna track without her getting writer credit), those writers are more than happy to give Madonna their compositions since it gives them a definite stream of royalties.

However, it is true that in recent years she has been doing this more often but I blame the fans for it, during the AL & COADF eras many of them complained that she cannot write a lyric to save her life anymore, she should use outside songwriters. Which she does now, most of the last 2 albums are like that, i.e. Gang Bang, Turn Up The Radio and who knows how many MoZella/S1/Gad songs were already existing before Madonna took them and added some lines.

I don't get how these things are related in any way, it's not like she claims she has written those songs, she just adds her name but the rest of the people still get the royalties. It's been like that for 20 years now (Bedtime Story is the last non-cover Madonna track without her getting writer credit), those writers are more than happy to give Madonna their compositions since it gives them a definite stream of royalties.

However, it is true that in recent years she has been doing this more often but I blame the fans for it, during the AL & COADF eras many of them complained that she cannot write a lyric to save her life anymore, she should use outside songwriters. Which she does now, most of the last 2 albums are like that, i.e. Gang Bang, Turn Up The Radio and who knows how many MoZella/S1/Gad songs were already existing before Madonna took them and added some lines.

Gang Bang and Turn Up The Radio were changed immensely once Madonna got involved. Bad examples.

I think she's always been all over the place as a songwriter. Sometimes taken pre-existing works and tweaked a tiny bit, sometimes starting from scratch. Nothing new, let's not pull a Vocalism and question the entire validity and integrity of the woman just becuz she sometimes dabbles in handing over the songwriting control to others. Britney Spears, Janet, Rihanna she is not.

Gang Bang and Turn Up The Radio were changed immensely once Madonna got involved. Bad examples.

I think she's always been all over the place as a songwriter. Sometimes taken pre-existing works and tweaked a tiny bit, sometimes starting from scratch. Nothing new, let's not pull a Vocalism and question the entire validity and integrity of the woman just becuz she sometimes dabbles in handing over the songwriting control to others. Britney Spears, Janet, Rihanna she is not.

But the lyrics of those songs were already there, Gang Bang sounds different because of The Demolition Crew who made different music.

Nobody said she's like those ladies but on the last two albums the songwriter credits grew exponentially compared to the eras before that, in the past she generally avoided collaborators like that (except Babyface & Rick Nowels), you cannot deny there is a difference and these days she does work with people who are not simply DJs or beatmakers.

Even back in the day she put as cowriter what in fact was a mere producer

Not true, half of ROL lacks Orbit as a co-writer and supposedly that was the reason why Nellee Hooper refused to be associated with the project.

But the lyrics of those songs were already there, Gang Bang sounds different because of The Demolition Crew who made different music.

Nobody said she's like those ladies but on the last two albums the songwriter credits grew exponentially compared to the eras before that, in the past she generally avoided collaborators like that (except Babyface & Rick Nowels), you cannot deny there is a difference and these days she does work with people who are not simply DJs or beatmakers.

Not true, half of ROL lacks Orbit as a co-writer and supposedly that was the reason why Nellee Hooper refused to be associated with the project.

Maybe I'm wrong but didn't madonna felt inspired by the remix and changed all the lyrics from that Mika song??????

I didn't mean to insult M as she has written some amazing songs. My point is that for her to take credit as the first and main songwriter on the songs that are essentially created prior to her involvement and she changes a few lyrics and takes main credit (I'm not talking about Gang Bang as that was changed immensely). Go listen to the demos i.e. Heartbeat, Girl Gone Wild and Some Girls, that's the examples I'm talking about. That for me is not okay and nor is it with any artist. Her name should be further down the line of songwriters on those songs.

I didn't mean to insult M as she has written some amazing songs. My point is that for her to take credit as the first and main songwriter on the songs that are essentially created prior to her involvement and she changes a few lyrics and takes main credit (I'm not talking about Gang Bang as that was changed immensely). Go listen to the demos i.e. Heartbeat and Some Girls, that's the examples I'm talking about. That for me is not okay and nor is it with any artist. Her name should be further down the line of songwriters on those songs.

Oh no, that's not insulting at all. You have no business stating what you "think," based on an amateur conclusion of bits and pieces off the internet as FACT. You know I couldn't even understand it if people hated her but least it would make a little sense as to where this attitude is coming from.

I would L O V E to see one of you express your opinion on the matter directly towards her. Would love it.

I've been having discussions about Madonna's perceived input into the creation of her music for years and years. It's a topic that seems to explode at least on an annual basis, and it's always interesting to see new people adding their input.

The order in which songwriters appear in the credits has absolutely nothing to do with the extent to which that person has contributed to the composition of the track. Only the publishing splits give us any sort of indication of how involved each writer was. No one in their right mind would assert that just because 95% of The Beatles' recordings were credited to Lennon/McCartney, Lennon was the main songwriter (after their early releases, they pretty much wrote everything solo anyway, but had agreed always to use the Lennon/McCartney credit for everything they recorded together). The order of the credits means nothing and implies nothing. If someone wants to make an assumption based on the credits, then that's their issue. If Madonna's releasing the music under her own name, and she was involved in writing the song (in whatever capacity), then surely she has the right to have her name listed first on her record...?

It's been discussed to death how hands on Madonna is (and always has been) in the composition of her music. Pretty much every single person she has ever written a song with has praised her unreservedly in terms of her lyricism and ability to compose a melody. There are many (fans and detractors included) who assert that every single one of these collaborators is lying, and that Madonna has a habit of claiming unfair credit for her work. I've had never ending discussions with people on other forums about this sort of stuff (msig and others have witnessed this!) and some people just won't accept that Madonna only claims credit where it's due, and works hard to ensure that anyone who has been involved in the composition of music that she records receives their fair share of the credit (note that by "credit" I mean publishing credit, which is what determines their income from the track). Tony Shimkin commented on his personal situation with "Erotica" and how Madonna wouldn't have allowed it to happen if she'd known about it.

One thing that is universal in Madonna's catalogue is that she never divides credits into lyrics/music ("additional lyrics" for JML aside). Go right back to her earliest recordings and when they are collaborations with someone else, it's always Madonna/Pat Leonard or Madonna/Steve Bray etc. etc. While we know that Madonna is primarily responsible for writing the lyrics and melodies of her songs (there is a tonne of evidence of this), her collaborators have input into these, just as Madonna has input into the music (hence the decision not to define lyrics/music in the credits). This is why the RH tracks have so many people credited for the lyrics and the music - it's just an equal split as far as the publishing credits are concerned, and reflects the fact that they all had a hand in creating the music. I saw a split for LFL before the Warner Chappell Database removed them for her new songs and she was given 25% (suggesting that two of the writers are receiving a smaller share of the credit, although it's impossible to know how the 75% that Madonna isn't credited for is split).

I could go on an on, but as this is already a long post (and in danger of being completed ignored due to its length), I'll end by reiterating that Madonna does not have a history of claiming unfair credit in her work. Anyone who has an issue with Madonna being listed first as the songwriter on her own releases should have a chat to Paul McCartney to see how he feels about always being listed second (for the record, he doesn't care!). The Warner Chappell Database is a goldmine of information which was inaccessible to the public for a couple of years (the publishing splits info), but now seems to be back up and running.

I'm more than happy to discuss individual songs if people want to. This is a topic that I'm really passionate about, because I loathe people trying to downplay Madonna's role in the creation of her own music. Suggesting that she's doing something wrong/stealing etc. is completely uninformed and inaccurate, to be honest.

I've been having discussions about Madonna's perceived input into the creation of her music for years and years. It's a topic that seems to explode at least on an annual basis, and it's always interesting to see new people adding their input.

The order in which songwriters appear in the credits has absolutely nothing to do with the extent to which that person has contributed to the composition of the track. Only the publishing splits give us any sort of indication of how involved each writer was. No one in their right mind would assert that just because 95% of The Beatles' recordings were credited to Lennon/McCartney, Lennon was the main songwriter (after their early releases, they pretty much wrote everything solo anyway, but had agreed always to use the Lennon/McCartney credit for everything they recorded together). The order of the credits means nothing and implies nothing. If someone wants to make an assumption based on the credits, then that's their issue. If Madonna's releasing the music under her own name, and she was involved in writing the song (in whatever capacity), then surely she has the right to have her name listed first on her record...?

It's been discussed to death how hands on Madonna is (and always has been) in the composition of her music. Pretty much every single person she has ever written a song with has praised her unreservedly in terms of her lyricism and ability to compose a melody. There are many (fans and detractors included) who assert that every single one of these collaborators is lying, and that Madonna has a habit of claiming unfair credit for her work. I've had never ending discussions with people on other forums about this sort of stuff (msig and others have witnessed this!) and some people just won't accept that Madonna only claims credit where it's due, and works hard to ensure that anyone who has been involved in the composition of music that she records receives their fair share of the credit (note that by "credit" I mean publishing credit, which is what determines their income from the track). Tony Shimkin commented on his personal situation with "Erotica" and how Madonna wouldn't have allowed it to happen if she'd known about it.

One thing that is universal in Madonna's catalogue is that she never divides credits into lyrics/music ("additional lyrics" for JML aside). Go right back to her earliest recordings and when they are collaborations with someone else, it's always Madonna/Pat Leonard or Madonna/Steve Bray etc. etc. While we know that Madonna is primarily responsible for writing the lyrics and melodies of her songs (there is a tonne of evidence of this), her collaborators have input into these, just as Madonna has input into the music (hence the decision not to define lyrics/music in the credits). This is why the RH tracks have so many people credited for the lyrics and the music - it's just an equal split as far as the publishing credits are concerned, and reflects the fact that they all had a hand in creating the music. I saw a split for LFL before the Warner Chappell Database removed them for her new songs and she was given 25% (suggesting that two of the writers are receiving a smaller share of the credit, although it's impossible to know how the 75% that Madonna isn't credited for is split).

I could go on an on, but as this is already a long post (and in danger of being completed ignored due to its length), I'll end by reiterating that Madonna does not have a history of claiming unfair credit in her work. Anyone who has an issue with Madonna being listed first as the songwriter on her own releases should have a chat to Paul McCartney to see how he feels about always being listed second (for the record, he doesn't care!). The Warner Chappell Database is a goldmine of information which was inaccessible to the public for a couple of years (the publishing splits info), but now seems to be back up and running.

I'm more than happy to discuss individual songs if people want to. This is a topic that I'm really passionate about, because I loathe people trying to downplay Madonna's role in the creation of her own music. Suggesting that she's doing something wrong/stealing etc. is completely uninformed and inaccurate, to be honest.

:clap::bow::inlove:

Some ass hats have never been able to accept that Madonna is a brilliant songwriter.

I also think it's sad that you had to put a disclaimer about the length of your post, because so many people can't be bothered to read more than soundbites.

This is incorrect. Madonna does not just "add her name" to a composition while the others receive the royalties. They're not just giving Madonna their compositions - in the case of a pre-existing track, they're agree to her further developing the songs themselves and adding her own touch to them (whether in the form of additional lyrics, melodic changes or structural changes).

Exactly. In fact she's nowadays incredibly generous in terms of credits. Even back in the day she put as cowriter what in fact was a mere producer

No, she doesn't have a habit of doing that, either. In the majority of instances, her co-writers have also been her co-producers (e.g. Steve Bray, Pat Leonard, Mirwais, Stuart Price, Shep Pettibone, William Orbit on many of the ROL and Music tracks, Timbaland, Timberlake, Danja and Pharrell etc. etc.).

Maybe I'm wrong but didn't madonna felt inspired by the remix and changed all the lyrics from that Mika song??????

Bang Bang had reached the final mixing stages. Demolition Crew started playing a completely different instrumental in the studio, Madonna stepped up to the mike and came up with the brand new melody to Gang Bang on the spot. Mika barely even recognised his own work when he heard it (to be honest, I don't know that he liked it that much, but he would have made a decent amount of money from it, so I'm sure he wasn't complaining!).

I didn't mean to insult M as she has written some amazing songs. My point is that for her to take credit as the first and main songwriter on the songs that are essentially created prior to her involvement and she changes a few lyrics and takes main credit (I'm not talking about Gang Bang as that was changed immensely). Go listen to the demos i.e. Heartbeat, Girl Gone Wild and Some Girls, that's the examples I'm talking about. That for me is not okay and nor is it with any artist. Her name should be further down the line of songwriters on those songs.

The point is, it doesn't make a scrap of difference where her name is listed in the credits. If people want to assume that the order of the credits is important, then that's their business. Are you upset that John Lennon is always listed first or is that OK for some reason? If you have no opinion on that particular case, then that suggests that it really doesn't matter, does it?

Often with a group, the group's members are listed alphabetically in the credits, but that certainly doesn't imply that Jason Axon contributed more than Talia Zephyr - it's just the agreement that they've come to as a group. Does it really matter? Absolutely not.

It's really just your perception that Madonna is taking the "main credit". The publishing splits tell a different story.

As for "Heartbeat", Madonna changed the lyrics significantly. Again, this is something that has been discussed at length here in the distant past, but it's always good to revisit old discussions every now and then for newer members.

:clap::bow::inlove:

Some ass hats have never been able to accept that Madonna is a brilliant songwriter.

I also think it's sad that you had to put a disclaimer about the length of your post, because so many people can't be bothered to read more than soundbites.

Thanks, SomeofShane :thumbsup: I agree that it's sad, but unfortunately, it's reality :(

Madonna is a ridiculously underrated songwriter. She has an incredible knack for coming up with the most amazing melodies. I just wish people would acknowledge this and not try to undermine her at every opportunity :(.

Oh no, that's not insulting at all. You have no business stating what you "think," based on an amateur conclusion of bits and pieces off the internet as FACT. You know I couldn't even understand it if people hated her but least it would make a little sense as to where this attitude is coming from.

I would L O V E to see one of you express your opinion on the matter directly towards her. Would love it.

Please don't project you're "issues" on to me. I have an opinion and that should be respected. I don't have to justify it to you. Good God Get a Grip!

Please don't project you're "issues" on to me. I have an opinion and that should be respected. I don't have to justify it to you. Good God Get a Grip!

Well no an opinion is formed by a preference or what you "think" based on what is before you. That doesn't make it a fact. What you were insinuating is not a fact but you wrote it as if it was. You can't decide what you want the facts to be and then spread that around.

But why talk to me when you can talk to Carta? :thumbsup:

Love your posts Carta

Bang Bang had reached the final mixing stages. Demolition Crew started playing a completely different instrumental in the studio, Madonna stepped up to the mike and came up with the brand new melody to Gang Bang on the spot. Mika barely even recognised his own work when he heard it (to be honest, I don't know that he liked it that much, but he would have made a decent amount of money from it, so I'm sure he wasn't complaining!).

I wouldn't worry about Mika, he's done his fair share of screwing people over in the industry, I'm glad she changed the song because I don't think I'd be able to listen to a song with his production, awful person.