Live To Tell

Shane

I posted a thread about this years ago. I still maintain that the release of this single as her first of 1986, following on the heels of Dress You Up et al only months before, remains one of the boldest moves in a career of bold moves. It couldn't have been expected by anyone. It's entirely different from her 1985 output, and epic in every respect. And radio ate it up!

Magnificent song. After all these years, still sounds incredible and unlike any other ballad I have heard. Yet another song that I can't see anyone singing better than Madonna does.

Totally agree. I remember listening to the radio hoping to record it. I had my cassette primed on pause:record. When LTT played I didn't know it. The DJ didn't announce it until the end of the song. I only knew because of the first chorus when she sang the words LTT. So my first cassette recording missed off the first verse! I was not expecting a song like that. And her voice was so different. It's an amazing song. One of her best.

Warners were slightly anxious about releasing this, and some chart watchers at the time thought that it was going to be her first misstep. It was long, it stopped in the middle and started again (radio wouldn't like it because of this), and it was completely unlike anything Madonna had done before. Some were predicting that it would struggle to make the Top 10 in the US. How wrong they were. An absolute classic in every respect.