Rebel Heart Reviews

markm

Guest HaveASit

The average score on metacritic so far is 66 which is okay for a pop record :popcorn2:

The Quietus' track by track reviews don't count for metacritic which sucks 'cause it sounds like an 85 to me!

It is counted, Metacritic use a special formula for those types of review.

I hope the final score increases, cause 66 is beneath this album

Guest HaveASit

Both Ray Of Light & Music got 4 stars from Rolling Stone.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/ray-of-light-19980402

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/music-20001012

The Ray Of Light review is a bit critical though, that the album is too slow compared to her 1980s stuff etc...

It received 4 stars when released, but today the score is 4.5/5

It received 4 stars when released, but today the score is 4.5/5

A wrote a comment about this the last page. Sometimes if an album turned out to be respected, they raise their rating, which is a bit sketchy to me.

But whose knows, maybe in 2016 they'll bump Rebel Heart up to 4 stars!

Guest HaveASit

Lol, that's not the reason. Sometimes they just re-review some albums over the time, for better or for worst. Madonna has many examples, like LAP which went from 3.5 to 4.5, I guess. MJ's Dangerous went from 4 to 2, though.

The average score on metacritic so far is 66 which is okay for a pop record :popcorn2:

The Quietus' track by track reviews don't count for metacritic which sucks 'cause it sounds like an 85 to me!

I still hope (and actually believe it will happen) that RH will get something between 70-80. 70+ is pretty good for a pop album.

Lol, that's not the reason. Sometimes they just re-review some albums over the time, for better or for worst. Madonna has many examples, like LAP which went from 3.5 to 4.5, I guess. MJ's Dangerous went from 4 to 2, though.

I would argue that that's the reason they get reviewed though. To be more in line with consensus in either direction.

there's simply too much on Rebel Heart, and reviewers favor albums that are more coherent.

as a fan, i love having every song she's ever recorded on one album, but let's be honest, the album is a commitment to go through. I felt the same about Ray of Light and MDNA too. Music, AL, Confessions, HC... all pretty punchy records that you could breeze through a couple of times in a day without thinking twice. she really should've edited it down, and saved the other tracks for bonus EPs to singles. that could've been a really interesting campaign and kept the album alive for the next year.

Edited by mtsanis

there's simply too much on Rebel Heart, and reviewers favor albums that are more coherent.

as a fan, i love having every song she's ever recorded on one album, but let's be honest, the album is a commitment to go through. I felt the same about Ray of Light and MDNA too. Music, AL, Confessions, HC... all pretty punchy records that you could breeze through a couple of times in a day without thinking twice. she really should've edited it down, and saved the other tracks for bonus EPs to singles. that could've been a really interesting campaign and kept the album alive for the next year.

Wondering if she's ever going to explain why she recorded so many tracks this time, never been her style... She can perform half of the album on tour at best, not to mention all the rejected songs that didn't make it!

Guest Pud Whacker

What is everyone's fucking problem? There are 86 songs on this album, if some critics or fans are not into all of them: you, she and I will all live.

Guest HaveASit

Yeah, dunno the reason, but they moved away the "timeline" with all of her album scores. There was the place where Ray of Light was evaluated with 4.5 stars

let me guess, those pretentious uptight fools at pitchfork will give it a 3.7 out of 10 :zzz:

Well, they gave MDNA a 5/10 or thereabouts, and they gave Confessions a 7/10. I'm guessing she'll fall somewhere in between this time.

Wait do you think she might have changed rebel heart back to the poppier production? The RS review said it was avicci styled and orchestral which the supposed final version really isnt but the first leak was

Guest Pud Whacker

Wait do you think she might have changed rebel heart back to the poppier production? The RS review said it was avicci styled and orchestral which the supposed final version really isnt but the first leak was

I HOPE SO!!!

the demo rocks LIFE!!!

It is counted, Metacritic use a special formula for those types of review.

I hope the final score increases, cause 66 is beneath this album

The Quietus have two sections of album articles: Track by Track & Reviews, both unrated.

Only the articles on the "Reviews" section counts for Metacritic.

i can't believe there are fans bitching about the 'sex' / 'bitch' songs. so what if the critics don't like them? do we really want her to throw on a glittering ballgown and belt out ballads with an orchestra just so the critics will praise her?

look, i get wanting her to have as much success as possible. i do too. it just feels good and she absolutely deserves to be praised and admired but if that doesn't happen so what? i'm more proud of the fact that Madonna, at 56, is still singing about whatever the fuck she feels like, including her ''OMG OLD!!!!11" vagina. that's amazing to me. just enjoy it. who knows how much longer she's going to keep going you know?

I'm the other way around, despite it's length, I can't keep playing it!