Rebel Heart Reviews

markm

Wow I'm amazed this album is getting any lower rating than 4 stars?!?

Lol, well, if the versions on the album are different than the versions most of us have heard :ohmy: ha, ha, nah, I'm sure that everything will be great... and I do not expect anything but negativity from critics... it's personal opinions and I rarely agree with them.

Why do you all care about some random journos ratings and their appalling taste?? :dazed:

Erotica and American Life got some bad/mediocre reviews...so what..they are still among her best albums.

Here's the Digital Spy review of Living For Love to make you feel better...

Madonna: 'Living For Love'

madonna-rebel-heart-artwork.jpg

I'm with you ;) March 10th is a celebration :sassy:

Guest CzarnaWisnia

From what I heard so far I tend to agree with the Q review. The heart songs really are the real rebel songs. BIM is fun but it's pointless and doesn't have anything rebellious to it. The reviewer failed to enjoy the song by failing to see the humor in it. To me BIM is clearly a joke song that randomly comes on. He's describing it as if M was very intensely serious with it, which is obviously not the case, same for Un. Bitch.

The Q review is not that bad. I don't understand the hate foe Veni Vedi Vici though...And SEX is a most welcome funny moment a la spanish lesson (i love this track with its western spaghetti guitar and tongue in cheek lyrics), the lisped rap is everything. They just want Madonna to be a boring balladeer. Sure her balalds are great but that's just one aspect of her music. They should have checked their overrated MDNA review first and give Rebel Heart the same 4 stars to save face because even a deaf person can make the difference between the 2 albums especially when you listen to both back to back.

From what I heard so far I tend to agree with the Q review. The heart songs really are the real rebel songs. BIM is fun but it's pointless and doesn't have anything rebellious to it. The reviewer failed to enjoy the song by failing to see the humor in it. To me BIM is clearly a joke song that randomly comes on. He's describing it as if M was very intensely serious with it, which is obviously not the case, same for Un. Bitch.

X2

People will never understand M's humor.

Unapologetic Bitch is a great fucking reggae song. Something she's never done before. It may not be groundbreaking but it's refreshing so him adding UB is stupid. BIM is annoying so that's a given and tbh holy water takes some time to grow esp. with lyrics like "bitch get off my pole" ...but it is indeed better than The demo which, aside from the beat, felt pretty stale.

The Q review is not that bad. I don't understand the hate foe Veni Vedi Vici though...And SEX is a most welcome funny moment a la spanish lesson (i love this track with its western spaghetti guitar and tongue in cheek lyrics), the lisped rap is everything. They just want Madonna to be a boring balladeer. Sure her balalds are great but that's just one aspect of her music. They should have checked their overrated MDNA review first and give Rebel Heart the same 4 stars to save face because even a deaf person can make the difference between the 2 albums especially when you listen to both back to back.

Exactly.

Madonna is the smartest pop star ever. She's also almost unfailingly true to her own artistic vision, NOT to critics and not to fans' wishes.

She knows full well that an album of only heart songs or adult pop will win her raves, and that she's going to be dragged hard for S.E.X., Bitch I'm Madonna etc. If she was worried about five star vs. three she would have cut the rebel. But that's not her, and it's why we respect her. You need the rebel and the heart.

The Q review is exactly what you'd expect, not really negative but basically indicating if she left off BIM and S.E.X she'd get another star.

This is a woman who wrote Across the Sky and Animal, but kept them off an album in favor of Spanish Lesson. She is not stupid. She is not aiming to please the critics, but to be true to her vision.

Well, to tell you the truth, I've never really understood the point of having professional critics. I understand that, when it comes to new acts, they can spread the word and make people hear about them, but when we are talking about well-known bands or artists, what's the point? In the end, when it comes to art, it's all too subjective and everyone has their own opinions. And when it comes to someone who's been in the business for more than 30 years, especially a figure as controversial and polarizing as Madonna, I think it's even worse, because before these critics get to hear the music, they already have an opinion about it, which is based on whether they like or not the artist or band they're reviewing.

In M's case, if the person reviewing her material happens to be a fan, it will be generally favorable; If it happens to be a hater, it will be generally unfavorable. And do you guys know that many people without an opinion on M, people who are not lovers or haters but who are indifferent towards what she's done and her career? Because I don't. Most people I know have an opinion on her and, in most cases, it's rather extreme. Lover her or hate her, it's impossible not to have something to say about M.

For that particular reason, I don't pay attention to her albums' reviews. I wish they all were good, because I love her and I want her to do as well as she can, but I accept the fact that when you're such a provocateur as she is, most people are not going to give you an easy time; and that could be applied to every thing.

The longer she stays relevant and the more she pushes people's buttons (and we know she'll always do that), the harsher it's going to be for her. Not until the day people start seeing her as a weaker version of herself (physically, mentally, artistically even) will she receive the praise she deserves. Because nothing in this world is as threatening and scary as a strong person in control of his/her life.

The great thing, on the other hand, is that those whose lover her will always be there for her, no matter what. And, by the way, for what I've heard of the album so far, I think it's going to be her best album in 15 years. So great times ahead of us :)

Well, to tell you the truth, I've never really understood the point of having professional critics. I understand that, when it comes to new acts, they can spread the word and make people hear about them, but when we are talking about well-known bands or artists, what's the point? In the end, when it comes to art, it's all too subjective and everyone has their own opinions. And when it comes to someone who's been in the business for more than 30 years, especially a figure as controversial and polarizing as Madonna, I think it's even worse, because before these critics get to hear the music, they already have an opinion about it, which is based on whether they like or not the artist or band they're reviewing.

In M's case, if the person reviewing her material happens to be a fan, it will be generally favorable; If it happens to be a hater, it will be generally unfavorable. And do you guys know that many people without an opinion on M, people who are not lovers or haters but who are indifferent towards what she's done and her career? Because I don't. Most people I know have an opinion on her and, in most cases, it's rather extreme. Lover her or hate her, it's impossible not to have something to say about M.

For that particular reason, I don't pay attention to her albums' reviews. I wish they all were good, because I love her and I want her to do as well as she can, but I accept the fact that when you're such a provocateur as she is, most people are not going to give you an easy time; and that could be applied to every thing.

The longer she stays relevant and the more she pushes people's buttons (and we know she'll always do that), the harsher it's going to be for her. Not until the day people start seeing her as a weaker version of herself (physically, mentally, artistically even) will she receive the praise she deserves. Because nothing in this world is as threatening and scary as a strong person in control of his/her life.

The great thing, on the other hand, is that those whose lover her will always be there for her, no matter what. And, by the way, for what I've heard of the album so far, I think it's going to be her best album in 15 years. So great times ahead of us :)

Well said and I agree.

She's always been an extremely polarizing figure and now more than ever people writing these reviews seem to have an agenda. It is fun to go back and read reviews from earlier in her career with the hindsight we have.

I just saw this quote on a friend's FB page. I think it's perfect advice for M!

“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” -Andy Warhol

I just saw this quote on a friend's FB page. I think it's perfect advice for M!

“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” -Andy Warhol

wtf is that about? she should do whatever she wants to do and she is doing exactly that!

I feel the same way about reviews. With new artists, they do influence me a lot to check out new artists that sound like something I would like, but not with older artists. There are some older artists that always get good reviews but those don't convince me to buy their albums if I know I don't like their voice or their style. With established artists, a lot of reviewers have made up their minds before even hearing the music.

wtf is that about? she should do whatever she wants to do and she is doing exactly that!

ok good point. Maybe it's less advice for M and more advice for all of us fans to stop freaking out so much about whether critics like it or not.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Huge fan meltdown about slightly negative reviews is hilarious, if they were super positive, everyone would be praising the delicate art of pop music criticism instead :lmao:

Huge fan meltdown about slightly negative reviews is hilarious, if they were super positive, everyone would be praising the delicate art of pop music criticism instead :lmao:

it's just weird how MDNA gets a better review than an album like Rebel heart. I've always thought reviews for madonna 's albums were acceptable and fair (aside from American Life) but I hope this low rating isn't a trend for rebel heart. it really deserves better

I think its really unfair they rate it lower than MDNA cause its much better and more sophisticated than her recent work. I see it as the American cousin of COADF: grown up, confident, sophisticated and very Madonna American flavored pop :)

I think its really unfair they rate it lower than MDNA cause its much better and more sophisticated than her recent work. I see it as the American cousin of COADF: grown up, confident, sophisticated and very Madonna American flavored pop :)

That's a great description of the album. For that reason, I hope the American reviews are more favorable. And I hope all reviewers are more fair and review the album as a whole instead of skewing their viewpoint on the basis of a few songs they don't like.

In the end though the opinion that counts to me the most is my own. For me, on the basis of the nine songs I've heard so far, this is one of the M albums I enjoy listening to the most. It may not be as artistic or experimental as ROL/Erotica/AL/etc, but it's great pop and just makes me feel good. Sorta like True Blue but with a little more edge. So those reviewers can have their opinion, and I'll carry on listening to what I like. And I'll also keep requesting and streaming, cuz I can be a bit stubborn like that.