Smithsonian: Madonna is one of The 100 Most Significant Americans of All Time

HolidayGuy

Coulda sworn there was a previous topic, but I looked and looked and didn't notice anything. This is now in magazine form.

As with any list, there are some you're like, "Whhhaaattt"? but no denying there are some biggies and deserving ones included.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonianmag/meet-100-most-significant-americans-all-time-180953341/?no-ist

Just copying and pasting the section for everyone here:

Pop icons

Mark Twain
Elvis Presley
Madonna
Bob Dylan
Michael Jackson
Charlie Chaplin
Jimi Hendrix
Marilyn Monroe
Frank Sinatra
Louis Armstrong
Mary Pickford

Just wondering if she will ever receive such high honors as the Medal of Freedom or the Kennedy Center one? I mean her contributions to culture and society are undeniable. Or is she deemed too controversial? Or is she too young?

I was thinking about this the other day! I think the next logical step would be the National Recording Registry at the Library of Congress for either Like A Virgin, Like A Prayer or Vogue. If Thriller (the album as a whole) made it in 2008 and U2's Joshua Tree in 2013, there's no reason why either of those two songs can't if we're talking American cultural impact. I think it's a case of when rather than 'if' at this point...

Regarding the Medal of Freedom, I can't see it happening. Kennedy Center Honors maybe, but she'd have to agree to participate and I'm not sure she'd want to be honored in that way just yet (although she appeared at the UK/US Music Halls of Fame respectively but they're another kettle of fish entirely).

Just wondering if she will ever receive such high honors as the Medal of Freedom or the Kennedy Center one? I mean her contributions to culture and society are undeniable. Or is she deemed too controversial? Or is she too young?

I think she'll receive it in the future. Maybe in her 60's or 70's.

These kinds of things are needed for the uninformed/uneducated, who have the misfortune to be growing up in a time where the level of M's impact may not be as appreciated as it should be among ALL age groups.

I was thinking about this the other day! I think the next logical step would be the National Recording Registry at the Library of Congress for either Like A Virgin, Like A Prayer or Vogue. If Thriller (the album as a whole) made it in 2008 and U2's Joshua Tree in 2013, there's no reason why either of those two songs can't if we're talking American cultural impact. I think it's a case of when rather than 'if' at this point...

Regarding the Medal of Freedom, I can't see it happening. Kennedy Center Honors maybe, but she'd have to agree to participate and I'm not sure she'd want to be honored in that way just yet (although she appeared at the UK/US Music Halls of Fame respectively but they're another kettle of fish entirely).

It would be her debut