Is GHV2 Underrated?

5iVe Elements

It contains a collection of songs from 1992 to 2001, selected by Madonna who mentioned that she only wanted "songs that I could listen to five times in a row" included on it.

The album was originally titled Greatest Hits: The Second Coming but was changed prior to its release as Madonna wanted it to have a title which was memorable.

Celebrsation ss easily her worst GH..truly horrible.

Yes, all those classic songs I've loved for 30 yrs........simply horrible, awful, an abomination!!

Seriously, wtf?? Dramatic much. Madonna fans can be such brats. Bitch you got the real ITG on an album for the first time, sit down and shut the hell up. :)

To me, a greatest hits album can't really be truly horrible or truly great. No collection of Madonna hits can be bad because she has so many great songs. But for me, it can never be as exciting or as great as an album of all new songs by her because I have the songs in another version already. Yes, sometimes GH albums have a couple of new songs, but that's not as exciting to me as a whole album of new songs. And now with technology you can make your own playlist of your favorite songs, that it kind of eliminates the need for GH albums anyway.

I don't even have GHV2 in my collection, and I don't see the point of it to be honest. She should have recorded one or two new songs for it, I think. It's a great collection of songs nonetheless!

Edited by ruey

I don't even have GHV2 in my collection, and I don't see the point of it to be honest. She should have recorded one or two new songs for it, I think. It's a great collection of songs nonetheless!

I've never seen the point of recording a few new songs for a GH album. I really don't like having to buy a whole album to get a few new songs. I'd rather just have a whole album of new songs! It's like why bother!

I've never seen the point of recording a few new songs for a GH album. I really don't like having to buy a whole album to get a few new songs. I'd rather just have a whole album of new songs! It's like why bother!

It's only a contractual obligation anyways, isn't it? I was just looking at the GHV2 tracklisting and remembered that I heard Deeper and Deeper for the first time when it was released in the music stores. So I suppose I should honour it by saying it's what got me to buy Erotica back in 2001.

It's only a contractual obligation anyways, isn't it? I was just looking at the GHV2 tracklisting and remembered that I heard Deeper and Deeper for the first time when it was released in the music stores. So I suppose I should honour it by saying it's what got me to buy Erotica back in 2001.

I guess they serve a purpose for more casual fans who like just a few of an artist's biggest hits. They may buy it and discover other music they hadn't heard before and then go back and discover all of her older music. I guess that's why there are contractual obligations. But for me as a long term fan they are boring and useless.

I guess they serve a purpose for more casual fans who like just a few of an artist's biggest hits. They may buy it and discover other music they hadn't heard before and then go back and discover all of her older music. I guess that's why there are contractual obligations. But for me as a long term fan they are boring and useless.

I agree for the most part. TIC could be an exception in some ways though. Besides being a collection of her biggest 80's hits it's a look back and refresh of sorts, ushering in the new 'sex era' with the release of Justify My Love, as opposed to GHV2 which is just simply a collection. Comparing GHV2 with TIC, I suppose GHV2 is deservedly underrated.

Greatest hits albums were always fantastic ways for new fans to discover past huge hits of an artist or for casual fans to have all of the hits at their fingertips. They have always been around and can't see the problem people have with them. Not everyone are super committed fans of Madonna like we are, yet appreciate and enjoy her music.

Yes, all those classic songs I've loved for 30 yrs........simply horrible, awful, an abomination!!

Seriously, wtf?? Dramatic much. Madonna fans can be such brats. Bitch you got the real ITG on an album for the first time, sit down and shut the hell up. :)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Greatest hits albums were always fantastic ways for new fans to discover past huge hits of an artist or for casual fans to have all of the hits at their fingertips. They have always been around and can't see the problem people have with them. Not everyone are super committed fans of Madonna like we are, yet appreciate and enjoy her music.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Is this a retrospective view, taking into account the Celebration debacle? or did you think that at the time about GHV2 as well?

Even the group of monkeys working at WB couldn't have really messed up the basic concept of GHV2 (A 2nd volume of GH from the Queen of Pop), but the whole thing was just so, well..... so-so and underwhelming, not helped that it was the early "ironic" Ritchie years when it was just so uncool for M to acknowledge her pop past.

She must of written it's so cool around this time.

I personally prefer it to Celebration. Yes, no new songs and that was the worst thing but hey, what can you do. I'm not a fan of the non-chronological order but I changed it on iTunes and now it's perfect. Great songs selection and I don't mind the edits (well, maybe Human Nature is too much). The artwork is amazing, so much better than Celebration and I love love love the cover with the little GHV2 in her eye. Also the mixing/mastering wasn't fucked up like on the the last collection. The limited edition is lovely, too bad there was no vinyl. Yes, The Second Coming was an amazing title, but in a way I really like GHV2 too.

THE IMMACULATE COLLECTION

SOMETHING TO REMEMBER

GHV2

That's it.

mac_420_03.jpg

ghv22.png

Guest bluejean

It's a shit release. Shit track list, missing some big hits from that period, including songs that weren't hits, DCFMA wedged in the most awkward place, not even squeezing as many tracks as possible. Cover is pretty but that's about it.

Guest eroticerotic

It was not really a greatest hits though. It was more "madonna's favorite singles" 😊 but it also offers a glimpse to newbies of what madonna was all about in the 90s. She was more album oriented than singles oriented too

• 1 month later...

The main problem was the tracklist: it missed some great songs and didn't have a new lead single. The artwork and booklet were great. I just always thought it came too early. It would have been better after Confessions.

Without the whole "I'm not your bitch, dont hang your shit on me" line Human nature was a bust. I mean was it really necessary to do that? Couldn't they just have put a explicit content sticker on the cover if it really was such a big deal to have two swear words in a song?

I love the packaging and cover for GHV2. All of her comps with the exception of STR have had glaring omissions so I prefer the studio albums. Then again, with her catalog it would be hard not to omit.

And the Human Nature edit sickens me.

THANK YOU!