Is GHV2 Underrated?

5iVe Elements

I think the timing or whatever I don't know what to call it, of being a fan plays a part in liking GHV2.

If you're a fan earlier especially before TIC, GHV2 might be disappointing or underwhelming with how it was handled.

But if you were like me (then), not a fan of M yet but are aware of her 90's hits, GHV2 may come as a great disc. I think that's where my appreciation and love for it comes from.

GHV2 has been underrated since release on 11/13/2001. It spans singles from four of her most essential LPs and has fantastic artwork.

Despite the breadth of material covered, Celebration is an inferior product slapped together by ill-informed idiots, while GHV2 was put together to complement The Immaculate Collection and Something To Remember by legitimately talented people who were originally involved with the original releases and who knew what they were doing. They're long gone now, and retrospectives and vault releases on the WB label are apparently handled by retarded interns now for "credit". :americanlife:

And here, of course, is the DEFINITIVE account.

On paper, it certainly was a decent representation of the 1992-2001 era. And it's even a good listen. A slightly better overall tracklist order would have been nice. It was fitting for HN to follow Erotica, though.

The packaging was nice, but would have been more fitting for a career-spanning compilation.

tracklist should have been

The Second Coming

01. Erotica (Album Edit)

02. Deeper And Deeper (7" Edit)

03. Fever (Edit One)

04. Rain ( Video Edit)

05. Secret (Album Edit)

06. Take A Bow (Album Edit)

07. Human Nature (Video Mix)

08. You'll See (Edit)

09. You Must Love Me (Single Version) DCFMA

10. Frozen (Album Edit)

11. Ray Of Light

12. The Power Of Good-bye

13. Beautiful Stranger (WO Radio Edit)

14. American Pie

15. Music

16. Don't Tell Me

17. New Song

Perfection.

I guess Madonna was so angry with Warner back then :lmao::lmao:

Those words in the booklet are beyong ridiculous, somebody directly laughing at the compilation. He was a journalist, friend of Madonna and Guy, wasn't he?

I don't mind the album, i enjoy it from time to time. I only dislike the flowing of the songs, they make no sense to me at all. But that's sometimes nice, it's the only Madonna album that i can play and i don't know which song is going to come up next.

It is underrated, I mean, they mess with a couple of thing maybe. But it's an Iconic compilation.

I like it a lot and listen to it instead of Celebration... I just skip DCFMA

I wish there would had been a couple of new songs tho =(

I do wish that she just would've thrown Impressive Instant on there and pushed it as a single. That song was just begging to be exposed to the masses! As CMoody mentioned, DWT DVD and GHV2 were released on the same day so the live II performance would've worked as a video to promote both. That whole Amazing vs II battle between M and Warner could've been avoided with that approach. They could've just released Amazing in Summer '01 while DWT was on the road.

I will say I like the approach they took with song selection, it seems they were trying to show the diversity in her 90's/early '00's work vs just worrying about the hits. As wonderful as TUTBMP, IR, YS etc are, had she included all those instead of lesser hits like HN and BS, this would've basically been a repeat of STR. Of course it doesn't have the seamless flow of IC, but her 90's work is so diverse that it was gonna be tough to do that no matter what.

GHV2 has been underrated since release on 11/13/2001. It spans singles from four of her most essential LPs and has fantastic artwork.

Despite the breadth of material covered, Celebration is an inferior product slapped together by ill-informed idiots, while GHV2 was put together to complement The Immaculate Collection and Something To Remember by legitimately talented people who were originally involved with the original releases and who knew what they were doing. They're long gone now, and retrospectives and vault releases on the WB label are apparently handled by retarded interns now for "credit". :americanlife:

Is this a retrospective view, taking into account the Celebration debacle? or did you think that at the time about GHV2 as well?

Even the group of monkeys working at WB couldn't have really messed up the basic concept of GHV2 (A 2nd volume of GH from the Queen of Pop), but the whole thing was just so, well..... so-so and underwhelming, not helped that it was the early "ironic" Ritchie years when it was just so uncool for M to acknowledge her pop past.

I was disappointed with it. Lazy artwork. Why include 80s photos?

No new song.

It's a bit shit really.

So no, not underated at all.

I've just listened to it, it definitely is underrated! I never had any problem with the semi-chronological tracklist, I think it flows well. The song selection was obviously inspired by the Drowned World Tour as 10 out of the 15 songs appear in that setlist. Even though they left out several ballad hits, it's still quite a downtempo listen altogether, they should have used the remixes of Don't Cry For Me Argentina & What It Feels Like For A Girl, those two are the weakest links on the album anyway. American Pie could have worked instead as it's more uptempo than most tracks here and also the video version of Fever although that was not a worldwide release.

There's no point crying over spilt milk but, really, a bit more attention to the artwork, 1-2 unreleased songs (of which there were plenty in her catalogue), dispensing of that shitty write-up (Oh she burnt the bacon on the DSS set? How... FUNNY. :manson: ) and something more from Madonna than the F-bomb at the Turner Prize to promote it, and ya know what? It would have been at least 5 times as bigger and better than it was.

I do adore my special edition though.

Where's the lovely thread my baby Mattress made a few months ago about GHV2? It was gorge.

I almost never listen to GHV2

I don't like the track sequence and those liner notes - so UNFUNNY and a bitch slap in the face to the quality of her music from this period.

Also from a commercial success perspective, there should have been some unreleased songs on there to make it an essential purchase and The Second Coming would have been an amazing title - GHV2 is just blah

Wow. Am I the only one who finds it difficult to accept that a collection of Madonna singles could be described as "atrocious" and "pathetic" (and worse)? We're talking about Madonna's MUSIC here. Dislike the packaging, the edits used, the lack of promo, the "missed opportunities", the missed songs, but the actual music itself...???

Guest Rachelle of London

Wow. Am I the only one who finds it difficult to accept that a collection of Madonna singles could be described as "atrocious" and "pathetic" (and worse)? We're talking about Madonna's MUSIC here. Dislike the packaging, the edits used, the lack of promo, the "missed opportunities", the missed songs, but the actual music itself...???

I know

First: the name of the album is trash. Then, edited tracks, a Megamix single that disappeared, becoming rareor like, not meant to exist. The only thing nice is the pics, but too small.

I agree, same goes for Celebration. Yes, a new song would've been nice and maybe some selections could've been replaced with other hits, but the collection can only be but so bad considering its actual content.

Perfect, Mattress. I totally agree.

My mind boggles at the fans who don't like edits. 45 rpm edits rule!!

The tracklisting and song selection were kinda shit, although I don't mind the edits. I also didn't really like the packaging. I think the design was rather lazy and so was the whole artwork. The liner notes were funny but didn't really seem to focus on the music.

I don't think it's underrated. I think it's rated accurately.

well you can tell that to Madonna..she thought it was a cool idea to put them in that order