Graham Norton comments on Madonna [merged]

XXL

No, I agree with you...I love it that Madonna is a bitch (and #unapologetic about it at that). It's apart of the zillion things that I adore about her (in fact, the bitchier she is the better....those years of preaching Kabbalah-kindness (yet still being a bitch) wasn't very much fun lol...I love it better when she is totally working it) ......

I was just citing the argument that she could also be a bit friendlier with fans. I think she is in her own way, take soundchecks for example, she went from telling fans to "shut up" in 2006 to completely interacting (and enjoying) with them in later tours.

XXL said it best, EVERYONE wants to meet Madonna, not just fans, so it would be impossible to function and operate under those demands if she were to be more accessible.

When she was a bitch while preaching Kabballah LOL I know! That was a real ripper. :laugh: She even laughed at herself in one ROL interview where she kept talking about Gucci and Kababallah at the same time. She knows.

tbh though, when she yelled at that guy for smoking last tour, I was annoyed (check the threads). I'm not a fan of the bitchiness, mainly bc I think other divas do it much better (Joan Collins). I just don't get wound up about it for more than 2 seconds. It's, you know, Madonna. Gurl can't help it.

She's likely the biggest star he's ever interviewed and If he made a passing mention in his book of her having been warm and friendly then no one would pay any attention. Must. Sell. Book.

It's not as though he's bashing her anyway, but these people are all alike and always contradict themselves in the name of having something of interest to talk about (be it for status or monetary gain). When it's cool to be kind they are and when the attention from that wanes, they flip things.

Plus M may have been icy towards him because he's a good friend of Christopher's.

Well that is not the point really, it all comes to a step before that

In 2012 she wasn't icy to him according to his own account at the time. He made it very clear that it was the exact polar opposite of ICY or diva-ish. Now he's saying "oh those Madonna fans really expecting her to be nice, she wouldn't be named Madonna anymore"

So which one is it? :semifunny:

Or maybe she's icy only if she can't have tea with her on saturday afternoons or something. Can you imagine Ellen Degeneres saying something like that? It's not like she lives at home with Madonna right? But they have chemistry and they respect each other.

And I am saying this because I've noticed they had great chemistry on his show and that episode was a rating career highlight for him. He also let out that she was marvellous so I can't understand what's changed to make him do a U turn :lol:

I mean the "Madonna doing her best impression of a normal person" part takes the biscuit really :rotfl:

I think that Madonna and her family shouldn't have any obligation to interact with fans or photographers on the street. She has the right to go about her daily business without disruption and safety concerns. It's unfair to be upset with her for not tolerating intrusions into her daily life.

That being said, she could maybe be a bit friendlier with fans at promotional events. I remember there was an infamous Absolut Vodka contest or something like that during the MDNA era where she completely ignored the fans there and that's not cool.

So basically in her everyday, private life there shouldn't be any expectation for her interact or be nice to strangers but at the same time there is a certain minimum expectation of friendliness for promotional events.

I've always found her bitchiness to be a bit fake. Even when she scolded that guy for smoking, she was smoking on stage a few hours later LOL

...That being said, she could maybe be a bit friendlier with fans at promotional events. I remember there was an infamous Absolut Vodka contest or something like that during the MDNA era where she completely ignored the fans there and that's not cool. ....

Yeah that was a bit weird. It's like she's either afraid or disgusted by us idk. Again, either way I don't give a fuck as long as the albums keep coming.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Apart of many gay men's fantasy is that if/when ever rich, powerful, or famous, that they will perhaps not only have more realistic access to M, but that they will magically just be "in" with her.....as if simply being rich, famous, and/or famous are Madonna's personal requirements for being friends. I think their public retaliation is when they feel they have achieved "in" club status and they are still treated as fans

Totally :rotfl:

I mean Elton John is not a BITCH at all when he shouts to the international media that Madonna's career is over and that she's just a desperate aging whore basically (fairground stripper - again sexism, mysogyny and from a gay man no less in this case) while Madonna is busy being the most profitable celebrity in the whole wide world and two months later he's offering her dinner in a Nice restaurant following a 10+ old script of going back and forth with his self-serving, one-sided self-fuelled "feud" with her :lol:

The bottom line unfortunately is still the same old predictable one: Madonna is a woman and more successful than most men in her industry and she doesn't own it to a marriage therefore it translates into her being a COLD bitch.

Then again Elton is slightly mental so his case belongs to a category of its own :lol:

55b26cdc-7098-413e-9a07-0e9564d9f8a9_zps

I still don't see how Madonna is 'icy'? Sometimes she might just want to block out and ignore people because she doesn't feel like interacting with people. Despite what Graham Norton says, Madonna is a regular person. It's an unrealistic expectation for people to expect Madonna to always acknowledge their presence as no one is friendly all hours of the day, every day.

Madonna interacts with her fans, when she has 2 has to interact: WHEN SHE'S ON STAGE or at a premiere.

I can't believe we're still going over this...she's not an actor or a re-alit-tee tv star.

Madonna is LEGENDARY, not to mention the fact that she's entitled to her privacy.

If u buy her records & concert tickets feeling that she owes u sth, look elsewhere, cuz it ain't gonna happen. :fag:

Guest bluejean

Madonna is a busy person. She seems to get agitated easily and I am sure if any of us has paps and fans waiting outside our house and following us everywhere we'd act the same.

People say things like "other celebs aren't like that" but what other celebs have that level of attention? As was once stated by someone "Madonna is a celebrity amongst celebrities." Celebs fan girl/boy over her. Unlike your average celeb she cannot escape the spotlight at any moment.

She's a mega moody bitch and I agree, no real fan would approach her because she clearly doesn't feel people have a right to do that. Maybe that's not as gracious as a lot of celebs but maybe that's why she handles fame so well. She protects herself from sycophants and/or giving too much energy away.

And no, I have no desire to meet her or any other celebs in particular. If I happened to meet a celeb or work with one I would try to approach them like a completely new person I know nothing about because really, that is actually the case.

Guest bluejean

Madonna interacts with her fans, when she has 2 has to interact: WHEN SHE'S ON STAGE or at a premiere.

I can't believe we're still going over this...she's not an actor or a re-alit-tee tv star.

Madonna is LEGENDARY, not to mention the fact that she's entitled to her privacy.

If u buy her records & concert tickets feeling that she owes u sth, look elsewhere, cuz it ain't gonna happen. :fag:

The truth.

You pay for the record or the concert and that's what you get for your money, not the right to harass a stranger on the street.

I do think the new wave of celebs in the social media age has created this concept that celebs are everyone's friends and it's actually kind of sad. They're not. What you see is like a character on a TV show. It's not necessarily real. Even where reality TV "stars" are concerned.

The truth.

You pay for the record or the concert and that's what you get for your money, not the right to harass a stranger on the street.

I do think the new wave of celebs in the social media age has created this concept that celebs are everyone's friends and it's actually kind of sad. They're not. What you see is like a character on a TV show. It's not necessarily real. Even where reality TV "stars" are concerned.

yes.

Basically.

:fag:

The truth.

THIS!!!

Do the majority of celebrities stop and chat with people who recognize them in the street? I really don't think they do. They may talk to their fans at signings or on twitter or somewhere, but most celebrities do not stop and talk with people who recognize them in the street. If they did that, they'd never get anything done.

In fact, I've seen celebrities complain on twitter or in interviews about fans coming up to them at airports or in hotels and pestering them and saying how people should respect their privacy.

Madonna may not stop and talk to people but I don't see her going on rants in the media about how horrible her fans are for pestering her.

So even though how she acts is the exact same way most major celebrities seem to act towards people who recognize them when they are out in public, somehow it makes Madonna an icy bitch, even though it's accepted as normal among other celebrities.

Madonna on this subject and telling it like it is :bow:

31:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcTO58swcdE

I think there are certain things you have to accept in this business. You become a larger than life figure, people want to know about you and you have to expect a certain amount of an invasion, they walk up to you in the street, doing interviews, people wanting to know you, touch you but then you also have to draw the line

Where do you draw the line?

Wherever I live should be sacred and also my own private, romantic life .... that's where I draw the line

Do your fans understand that there's a line at all? :rotfl:

If you really really love someone or idolise someone you'd do anything to find out about them. It depends though. Certain people go to a lot of extremes. I know people hanging out at the bottom of my driveway a lot. They constantly ring our doorbell, they want to see us, they think we're going to invite them up for a cup of tea or something :rotfl:

........ and there are other people who are fans of mine who just write me letters and want my autograph, there are different types of fans :thumbsup:

"No friendship developed afterwards. She remained the icy star, me the awestruck fan, our worlds never to collide."

As it should be, if Gaga has taught us anything it's to not be "friends" with your fans. Madonna's relationship with us is great, she appreciates us but from a distance. Considering how crazy some Madonna fans can be, I don't blame her one bit.

Totally agree :thumbsup:

On a recent visit to New York, I was sitting in a bar (theres a surprise) when two charming young men approached me (that was a surprise). When they asked for a photo with me, I got one of my friends to take it and they seemed pleased.
Im so glad you were nice, one confided. The last time we were in the city we were walking down Fifth Avenue and we saw Madonna.
We got all excited and started to tell her how much we love her. She never slowed down just turned her head as she passed, flicked her hair, and said, Hi and bye.
Were they really upset? Isnt that how they wanted their goddess to behave? Surely we want our divas to act like . . . well, divas.
Nobody does that better than Madonna. She may not be Gods gift to acting, but when it comes to being Madonna she can do it better than anyone else. She is so convinced she is special that we are all swept along by her tsunami of ambition and need.
When So Graham Norton started on Channel 4 in 1998 she was top of my wish-list of guests, but it would be 14 long years before she was finally ready to perch her perfectly toned buttocks on the edge of my red couch.

There were many conditions. It had to be a special. Yes. She wanted to tape it in the afternoon. Yes. She wanted approval over the music. Yes. I wonder how far we would have gone? What demand could have provoked a no? I couldnt think of one.
A few weeks before the taping I was invited to meet her at a champagne reception at Claridges that would be followed by a screening of her directorial debut, W.E. I waited in an ornate room with a mixture of media people and celebrities. Finally the door opened. The eagle had landed. Trying not to stare, we all stared.
Madonna made her way into the room shaking hands and making brief small talk, like the Queen visiting a toothbrush factory in Sheffield.
A woman in a dark suit appeared at my shoulder. Come with me. My mouth went dry and we moved through the sea of bodies till we reached the shining island at the centre of the throng. A pale hand was extended towards me.
Congratulations on the film, I said.
Oh, have you seen it already?
No, Im seeing it tonight.
Well, save your congratulations till afterwards.
Seconds in and it was all going wrong but somehow I managed to placate her before she moved on to the next loser.
Someone must have taken a photograph of us during our brief exchange because I have it framed in my house. Were both grinning, but Im the one holding a drink and looking about ten years older than her.
I walked back to my friends and the only word I could think of to describe how I felt was high. After a few moments, the euphoria started to pass and I longed to meet her again. If this is what happens to the people wearing dandruff-drenched anoraks waiting outside theatres and studios, no wonder they come back for more.
Finally, finally, the day of the recording arrived and I was saying out loud: Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Madonna! and there she was. It was really happening.
The rest of the show is a blur. I remember being nervous and then relaxing. We got the measure of each other and afterwards, as I was busy debriefing with the production team, I got word that I was wanted upstairs. I ran and found Madonna and her people making their way down a corridor.
Thank you so much! I gushed. I began trying to pay her more compliments but she interrupted.
I just wanted to say bye, she said, doing her very best impression of a regular person. But then, with no words being exchanged, someone came up behind her and slipped her into a fur coat, proving she was anything but.
No friendship developed afterwards. She remained the icy star, me the awestruck fan, our worlds never to collide. And there was certainly no hint of the kind of extraordinary invitation I received when Liza Minnelli appeared on my Channel Four show V Graham Norton back in 2002.

1413242452220_Image_galleryImage_LONDON_

• 3 weeks later...

From 44:00 onwards

http://www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/13240/14153/10th_November_2014_-_The_Pat_Kenny_Show_Part_3

cd6800cb-7001-4e50-88cb-7df0c32937bd_zps

Graham: She didn't disappoint in that she is Madonna and you don't get to be Madonna by being cuddly or nice
Interviewer: but you did get to meet Dolly Parton, cuddly and nice
Graham: Oh yes, that's a totally different thing but isn't that interesting though? You must know this from talking to people. Successful people they all get to be where they are .... somehow. People use different things, some people use charm, some people use sexiness, some people use meanness, some people use laughter ... they always have an angle on how they manipulate the situation or people and I think, you know, that's Madonna, Madonna is quite mean
article-2216722-156B2CBA000005DC-233_306
He also talks about meeting her at David Collin's funeral in Dublin in 2013 and that he was surprised at how she behaved:

Part of me wanted her to attend as it would have pleased so much our mutual friend David but then another part of me thought "oh I hope she won't come as it'll become a circus and she'll swamp the day ..... " and then after the funeral we were having lunch and someone said "where is Madonna?" and a lady turned and said "oh she's here?"

103.jpgMad.jpg

It's as if she turned her star wattage down, she wasn't in disguise, she was clearly Madonna but she just knew that this day wasn't about her and she was just another mourner. You can tell she still remembers who she was all these years ago, she wasn't there as Madonna, she was there as somebody's friend

He also spoke to the Irish Independent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlobO1-yTuE