[Iconica] Original 1990 US Commercial For 'The Immaculate Collection'.

Mattress

"Finally, a greatest hits album that lives up to its name!" :wow:

The intro is clipped but is just a quick clip of the "Like A Virgin" video. I especially love this because the 15 classics are all represented by their US 7" picture sleeves (including "Crazy For You" on Geffen.).

They got creative in the absence of US 7" picture sleeves for thee of the fifteen tracks. They show:

- the 12" maxi for "Vogue"

- the back of the "Angel" maxi for "Into The Groove" (!!!)

- and the original generic 7" paper sleeve look of "Holiday" and "Lucky Star" (which they don't bother showing on the intro, just spread out with the rest at the end.) :lol:

Yep, I remember the whole Q-Sound thing when this came out too. I was going to school for record engineering at the time and asked my instructor, who was a wise old Motown guy, what it was. He had no idea :laugh:

It was just a gimmick

Yep, I remember the whole Q-Sound thing when this came out too. I was going to school for record engineering at the time and asked my instructor, who was a wise old Motown guy, what it was. He had no idea :laugh:

It was just a gimmick

But isn't Q-sound the "bathroom" effect? :p

If you follow the directions, which i'm pretty sure is included in the booklet, you can actually "experience" the "3-d" sound of Qsound. It was also used in a Abdul album. Didn't last very long. However it is used in TV technology to date. Which I hate, cause whenever I have it on while watching TV, it sounds like my doorbell is ringing.

omg thanks for posting Mattress! Was this shown on TV often?

You're welcome. :D

It aired on select channels (including MTV) during the 1990 holiday season. I first saw it during the MTV Madonnathon that was supposed to culminate with the "Justify My Love" video world premiere before MTV banned it! The marathon rolled on without the new video to anchor it.

Madonna-Entertainment-Wee-118301.jpg

Q Sound evolved. It became more commonly used in video games and, later, the name was licensed for a stupid button feature on cheap boomboxes to simulate 3D sound that had nothing to do with what it was originally meant to be.

Before all of that, circa 1990-91, it was a legitimate mixing process owned by Archer Communications which is part of the reason all of the songs on The Immaculate Collection had to be remixed in the first place. A lot of people seem to carry the idea that mixing engineers simply pushed a button while playing the original recordings and *poof!* they were in Q Sound, but every song was built (or in the case of The Immaculate Collection, rebuilt) from the ground up in Q Sound. Every sound, instrument and vocal had to be strategically placed in the mix and phased according to the Q Sound process.

If done right there was a real art to it. I think Shep, Goh and Michael were geniuses at creating these new versions and assume that originally the new mixes they created ran longer that what made the final LP. It was likely the last-minute inclusion of the two new recordings that forced Shep to go back in and edit down tracks (including those swift fades throughout.)

It was just a gimmick

Well that 'gimmick' still makes Spellbound and Immaculate Collection sound far better than the rest of all my cds. It was def. something real...

Q Sound evolved. It became more commonly used in video games and, later, the name was licensed for a stupid button feature on cheap boomboxes to simulate 3D sound that had nothing to do with what it was originally meant to be.

Before all of that, circa 1990-91, it was a legitimate mixing process owned by Archer Communications which is part of the reason all of the songs on The Immaculate Collection had to be remixed in the first place. A lot of people seem to carry the idea that mixing engineers simply pushed a button while playing the original recordings and *poof!* they were in Q Sound, but every song was built (or in the case of The Immaculate Collection, rebuilt) from the ground up in Q Sound. Every sound, instrument and vocal had to be strategically placed in the mix and phased according to the Q Sound process.

If done right there was a real art to it. I think Shep, Goh and Michael were geniuses at creating these new versions and assume that originally the new mixes they created ran longer that what made the final LP. It was likely the last-minute inclusion of the two new recordings that forced Shep to go back in and edit down tracks (including those swift fades throughout.)

Thanks for this.

And no Q sound was not stadium effect, Spellbound (Abdul's album sounds sharp as fuck). Check a high quality rip of the title track 'Spellbound'. I have never to date heard music as amazingly clear and sharp as it sounded (and still does) in Q sound -Most notably between 3:01 and 3:58-.

Thanks for this.

And no Q sound was not stadium effect, Spellbound (Abdul's album sounds sharp as fuck). Check a high quality rip of the title track 'Spellbound'. I have never to date heard music as amazingly clear and sharp as it sounded (and still does) in Q sound -Most notably between 3:01 and 3:58-.

The Q Sound mixes sound especially good on headphones.

There's also an otherwise unreleased Q Sound mix of Janet Jackson's "The Knowledge" (from Rhythm Nation 1814) on limited edition 2CD import copies of Design Of A Decade. I wish they'd done the entire hits album.

41tZjtSw69L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Thanks Mattress for your great posts.

About the Q Sound, is there a way to place the speakers so you enjoy the technology more? I may be one of the few who love that sound. It gives the best effects when you have a good stereo. But i don't know if it was created precisely so you don't need more speakers to enjoy it, or maybe there's a way to place them so you simply CUM while listening to the album?????

By the way, i was very disappointed when i bought the Holiday Collection years later and those songs aren't in Q sound :( I would have loved to have True Blue, Who's That Girl and Causin' a Commotion in Q sound, but after reading Mattress explanation i understand that it was expensive and hard work to create them, and these songs were simply some b-sides for the re-release of Holiday.

The Q Sound mixes sound especially good on headphones.

There's also an otherwise unreleased Q Sound mix of Janet Jackson's "The Knowledge" (from Rhythm Nation 1814) on limited edition 2CD import copies of Design Of A Decade. I wish they'd done the entire hits album.

41tZjtSw69L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have that mix and you can hear the difference from the album version, the knowledge is fucking brilliant, I wish she'd done a full video of it not only that small segment...

It's not a high quality rip but here it is, I wish I had it in .wav, but if in 128 kbps you can hear the difference with good headphones imagine the .wav

03 THE KNOWLEDGE (Q Sound Mix).mp3 3.7 MB
https://mega.co.nz/#!URVWwRhK!TbfH70HU6ghrfw2s86evl6-WCl3ePc21faQHZ1-EmFw

By the way, i was very disappointed when i bought the Holiday Collection years later and those songs aren't in Q sound :( I would have loved to have True Blue, Who's That Girl and Causin' a Commotion in Q sound, but after reading Mattress explanation i understand that it was expensive and hard work to create them, and these songs were simply some b-sides for the re-release of Holiday.

I was disappointed with The Holiday Collection at first, too... thinking they were going to include more Q Sound mixes. At least they made up for it by using the Silver Screen Single Mix of "Causing A Commotion".