Madonna's saddest songs?

StrawberryBounce12

"Promise to Try" is an obvious one I forgot. I guess because I hardly listen too it. Beautiful song but makes me pretty sad but it's definitely amongst her best. I can't imagine anyone else singing this.

This will sound odd I'm sure, but to me there is something sad and longing about her vocals on Each Time You Break My Heart.

Live To Tell obviously has a sad quality, but the grandness and overall dramatic feel of this song have always overrode the sad quality to me.

The "my conscious is clear...." verse in TLOL.

Promise To Try

STR has always been very sad and melancholic to me. The end after her last note and it's just the piano always gets me.

TUTBMP........the way she sings the closing "wishing you were here with me" chokes me up!

I'll Remember

Lyrically TAB is heartbreaking.

TPOG

Easy Ride......as mentioned in an above post, her delivery of the "what I want is to live forever...." line has always been very melancholic to me.

And finally, for whatever reason Falling Free has become her one song that can make me cry almost every time I listen to it. The song is absolutely beautiful. All this talk of MDNA is all fluff......GTFOH with that shit.

I agree about "Falling Free". For me, it's a brilliant track and her vocals are beautiful here. That song just touches a nerve with me for some reason. Ir might be my fave song on "MDNA" (along with "Beautiful Killer")

I love Madonna's ballads.

For me, Promise to Try is definitely her saddest song. But, there are many others that touch me deeply and make me sad/melancholy. She's a MASTER at it! Damn you, M.! ;) Top 3:

1. Promise to Try - I remember being a young pre-teen/teenager getting to know the masterpiece that is Like A Prayer, and being completely enveloped by the sadness of this song, to the point of crying myself to sleep;

2. Oh, Father - Almost as sad, but equally as deep, as Promise to Try. Her singing is, also, so pure and honest, here.

3. Devil Wouldn't Recognize You - This is a DEEEEP song and, for me, it ranks as M's third saddest song. Can definitely relate to this a lot!;

And, the rest (which were so hard to rank!):

4. 'Til Death Do Us Part

5. Live to Tell

6. Love Tried to Welcome Me

7. You'll See

8. X-Static Process

9. One More Chance

10. Bad Girl

11. I Want You

12. Love Tried to Welcome Me

13. This Used To Be My Playground

14. You Must Love Me

15. Easy Ride

16. Best Friend

17. Love Spent (Acoustic)

18. Love Don't Live Here Anymore

19. I Fucked Up

20. Gone

Honorable mentions:

21. Borderline

22. I'll Remember

23. In This Life

24. Inside of Me

25. Mother and Father

26. Time Stood Still

Edited by PRPapi

I agree with all of the choices listed by everyone. Fantastic list.

One I am going to add is the verse at the end of Waltz for Eva and Che. The way Madonna sings these lyrics are filled with sadness and despair. She really is one of the most beautifully empathic and emotional singers we could wish to hear.

Oh what I'd give for a hundred years

But the physical interferes

Every day more, O my Creator

What is the good of the strongest heart

In a body that's falling apart

A serious flaw, I hope you know that.

It really depends on my mood, but songs that always make me sad are Promise To Try and Oh Father. They make me think of my own childhood.

Little Star also makes me sad but more because it makes me think of my daughter. I used to play it to her when she was a bb.

Oh, how could I forget about the beautiful Time Stood Still? I think this song is among Madonna's best ballads abd should've been a single!

Like a Flower...omg that song made me cry as well. I don't know why but this made me cry happy tears. The song's chorus is very uplifting while the verses are really sad and melancholic. All of that warapped inside Orbits dreamy production.

Love Tried To Welcome Me, I always listen to it. Cried many times.

Promise To try and Oh Father, God ! how many tears!

Time Stood Still, You'll See, Spanish Eyes, You Must Love Me, so theatrical, sadly performing like the world was ending!

The Power of Goodbye, Inside Of Me, Live To Tell and This Used To Be My Playground, tearjerkers!

I cry even when I watch Truth Or Dare!