Theory: MDNA is this decade's DWT, therefore next tour will be like Reinvention

Apples388

What a load of rubbish. I love how people try and denigrate RIT by branding it nothing but a greatest hits tour, like that's meant to be a bad thing or something. It just so happens that tour did nothing but raise her live act reputation even higher than it already was (in territories that matter, like the UK) The very idea that Madonna NEEDED a greatest hits tour after the barnstorming, couldn't buy a ticket for shit, wonderfully reviewed DWT, is laughable. Just as stadiums were filled after the relative non-event of the MDNA album, arenas would have been filled after the so called "flop" of AL, no matter what.

Madonna was clearly at a happy enough stage in her life to drop the (wonderful) pretension of DWT, snap on a corset and fishnets, connect with her fans and belt out some hits, all with a genuine smile on her face, and still with a wonderful crow-free voice I might add. The result? An actual concert experience at a Madonna show, the majority getting what they want and showing their appreciation for it, everyone there for one thing - singing and dancing to Madonna hits and everyone raving about it as they left the arena! My 2nd favourite POP CONCERT Madonna experience (after BA)

All the while cementing her reputation as an unmissable live act (which she almost killed with the lamentable S&S, but that's another story...)

Obviously we'll get some hits as usual on the new tour, but I have a feeling Like a Prayer, Vogue etc will be retired, for a while at least. Sorry bout that Australia.

I think part of the reason more songs from AL weren't performed on RIT and it relied more on her older songs was that a lot of the songs on AL were slower and acoustic. I love listening to them, but I'm not sure how so many slower acoustic type of songs would have worked in large venues and with the kind of performing she does with dancers etc. She had to add in more older stuff just to have more uptempo songs. I think that played a role as much as damage control from RIT or from the album not selling as well as was expected.

I have always said Madonna could have the highest grossing tour ever if she actually done a greatest hits tour with the right marketing. People would come who have never seen her before and she would fill stadiums the world over. But none of your rock versions of Hung Up, a proper greatest hits!

Definitely. I think it is something she should do once before she stops doing these big tours in large venues. Greatest hits tours can be amazing and a lot of fun if an artist does them once. But they can be boring if you are touring every year or so and you do a greatest hits tour ever time you go out. I would like her to do a Greatest Hits at some point, but I'm not sure this coming tour is the time to do that. She seems really excited about the new album so I think this coming tour should focus on that with some classics, with some done close to the originals and some reinvented.

I think part of the reason more songs from AL weren't performed on RIT and it relied more on her older songs was that a lot of the songs on AL were slower and acoustic. I love listening to them, but I'm not sure how so many slower acoustic type of songs would have worked in large venues and with the kind of performing she does with dancers etc. She had to add in more older stuff just to have more uptempo songs. I think that played a role as much as damage control from RIT or from the album not selling as well as was expected.

Well it was titled "Re-Invention tour," so those AL songs could have been "re-invented."

Some will argue that it's not a greatest hits tour an vice versa, but it's evident that there was a clear concept. As a song from every album (including Evita and I'm Breathless) was included in that setlist.

Why are songs, particularly hit songs, performed close to their original arrangements such a controversial issue? "Why don't you just stay at home and listen to the albums"...uh, because they don't have a live band backing them, that's why. Hearing a song live vs. the record is an entirely different experience, c'mon... I'm surprised we got three of the biggest ones on The MDNA Tour.

As for RIT, does the fact that "the hits" were part of the marketing of it, or that it included quite a few more, somehow a threat to it's artistic merit or success? She still got her AL message in it, put out another tour documentary (who thought we'd get another one of those?) around that message, and managed to give the masses what they wanted. Sounds like a win-win to me. To me, it kind of just feels like it was the right thing at the right time (regardless of AL's performance).

Guest Rachelle of London

Why are songs, particularly hit songs, performed close to their original arrangements such a controversial issue? "Why don't you just stay at home and listen to the albums"...uh, because they don't have a live band backing them, that's why. Hearing a song live vs. the record is an entirely different experience, c'mon... I'm surprised we got three of the biggest ones on The MDNA Tour.

As for RIT, does the fact that "the hits" were part of the marketing of it, or that it included quite a few more, somehow a threat to it's artistic merit or success? She still got her AL message in it, put out another tour documentary (who thought we'd get another one of those?) around that message, and managed to give the masses what they wanted. Sounds like a win-win to me. To me, it kind of just feels like it was the right thing at the right time (regardless of AL's performance).

Thank you

Guest bluejean

Well VogueMusic, it's because of what came out of Madonna's own mouth.

She stated in 1993 "Those are old songs. Why not just go out and buy the record."

Guest bluejean

And that reasoning about American Life doesn't make sense. Mother and Father was not an acoustic song and she performed that acoustic. Hollywood was performed at the MTV awards NOT acoustic. There was nothing stopping her from performing more songs from AL, it was a choice based on it flopping.

Jamie King and maybe Caresse and Stuart Price as well encouraged her to perform more of her hits and that's what she did.

Well VogueMusic, it's because of what came out of Madonna's own mouth.

She stated in 1993 "Those are old songs. Why not just go out and buy the record."

And that's one of a few areas I don't see eye to eye with her. To hear a song live, there's just nothing like it...yes, even in its original arrangement (or close to it). I can see it being an issue if that's all one did every time they went out (particularly if they're the type to constantly be touring)...but it's nice to at least revisit the originals every now and then. They're hits and beloved for a reason... And it also depends on the band...no one band sounds the same. Even artists that perform the same song the same way every time out, if you listen carefully, you will hear the subtle differences in how the band executes it. Some folks (like myself) love that sort of thing.

I'll go out on a limb and say I'd be one of those people who wouldn't mind seeing an all hit (in their classic form) show. Not all the time, no...just at least once before she takes a final bow. I think that's what quite a few others may feel too, it just seems to be a sacrilege thing to say in Madonna fandom. But, it's never gonna happen, so what's the harm in having the fantasy.

What a load of rubbish. I love how people try and denigrate RIT by branding it nothing but a greatest hits tour, like that's meant to be a bad thing or something. It just so happens that tour did nothing but raise her live act reputation even higher than it already was (in territories that matter, like the UK) The very idea that Madonna NEEDED a greatest hits tour after the barnstorming, couldn't buy a ticket for shit, wonderfully reviewed DWT, is laughable. Just as stadiums were filled after the relative non-event of the MDNA album, arenas would have been filled after the so called "flop" of AL, no matter what.

Madonna was clearly at a happy enough stage in her life to drop the (wonderful) pretension of DWT, snap on a corset and fishnets, connect with her fans and belt out some hits, all with a genuine smile on her face, and still with a wonderful crow-free voice I might add. The result? An actual concert experience at a Madonna show, the majority getting what they want and showing their appreciation for it, everyone there for one thing - singing and dancing to Madonna hits and everyone raving about it as they left the arena! My 2nd favourite POP CONCERT Madonna experience (after BA)

All the while cementing her reputation as an unmissable live act (which she almost killed with the lamentable S&S, but that's another story...)

Obviously we'll get some hits as usual on the new tour, but I have a feeling Like a Prayer, Vogue etc will be retired, for a while at least. Sorry bout that Australia.

Thank you :clap::clap:

1. Vogue 1990

2. Nobody Knows Me American Life

3. Frozen 1998 (a then six-year-old song performed 3 years before on DWT)

4. American Life

5. Express Yourself 1989

6. Burning Up 1983 (a seminal song in Madonna's career timeline but hardly a casual audience classic)

7. Material Girl 1985

8. Hanky Panky 1990 (hardly a Vogue, LAP, Material Girl, however lovely as a song)

9. Deeper & Deeper 1993 (decent sized hit, but again hardly Vogue, Material Girl, PDP level + reworked in that way)

10. Die Another Day American Life

11. Lament 1996 (another Greatest Hit?)

12. Nothing Fails American Life

13. Don't Tell Me 2000 (recent song performed on previous tour)

14. Like A Prayer 1989

15. Mother And Father/Intervention American Life

16. Into The Groove 1985

17. Papa Don't Preach 1986

18. Crazy For You 1985

19. Music 2000 (recent song performed on previous tour)

20. Holiday 1983

I deliberately left out all the interludes to make BJ happy, the fact that 7 out of 11 songs off AL were in some capacity featured on the show remains (like it happens for all her albums). On DWT she had one film sountrack and 3 studio albums previously untoured as she hadn't hit the road in 8 years and we know how Madonna loves to showcase her more recent stuff. That is the only thing that makes the 3 years younger RIT seem more hit packed.

By 2004 considering that she had been out for 21 years a GH tour should have consisted of ONLY 80's and a handful of 90s songs plus a couple of tracks off Music to be labelled as such. Besides Suede's initial assumption of MDNA = DWT is totally off the mark to begin with as MDNA is structurally nothing like DWT and ironically, if anything, it features many more songs that were actually hits compared to tracks incorporated in DWT, a tour that for a mainstream act like Madonna who disappeared from the concert scene for so long, had the audacity of highlighting songs that weren't even a single in the first place!

Just because MDNA has a very theatresque element to it unlike S&S, it doesn't make it akin to DWT in the slightest. The next tour will feature most of her new studio album with a handful of hits from the 80s, 90s and 2000s.

...and let's not forget that Swim was originally in place of Frozen and Dress you Up in place of Material Girl before Jamie Queen used whatever bizarre influence he had over Madonna to persuade her to switch out those songs...so again, it was hardly conceived as a GH tour.

Jamie Queen was also responsible for the ONLY lamentable part of RIT - replacing Peter Morse with a third rate lighting designer (to suit his own weak aesthetic)

..er...reading this thread..don't think I want M to tour again....but seriously hope the next tour is not a greatest hits one and about RIT...doesnt the name of that tour give some indication as to the kind of show it would be....for me MDNA was perfect mix of old and new...

Re-Invention is the closest she has ever gotten - and probably ever will - to a 'Greatest hits tour'. M herself has said in the past that she doesn't want to become a nostalgia-greatest hits act. So no, I don't think Tour #10 will be a Greatest hits one. Also I don't think she should include 'Like a Prayer', 'Vogue', 'Holiday', 'La Isla Bonita', 'Human Nature', etc. They are soooo overplayed.

Understand you don't want or don't think we will get a greatest hits tour next...but you gotta allow Her to sing at least one of the big hits you've mentioned above..

I can understand why you think LAP, Vogue and Human Nature, have been over played, but they have always worked in the tours and we've had great versions.

Holiday, I kinda alway felt we would get in every tour...until confession happened and as for LIB ...personally it's one of my least fav M songs, but can understand why she used it in S&S and DWT...just it didn't make any sense in Confessions

Guest bluejean

Well I never said RIT WAS a Greatest Hits tour, I said

a) It featured more hits than the previous tour or any show since

b) it featured less tracks from the current album than any tour since

c) Madonna "reinventing her hits" was referred to in a press release and reported in the media.

These are all facts regardless of what some people want to believe. Label it as you will but a large percentage of the setlist were hit singles and a big surprise to fans after TGS and DWT.

The RIT is the closest thing she has ever done to a greatest hits tour, but it is not technically one, as the dominant album in the setlist remains AL.

The greatest hits tour feeling is due to the fact that it opens with Vogue... and that the first AL track only comes after 20 minutes of show...

So, some will see it as a greatest hits tour, some won't.

The truth is somewhere in between...

Guest bluejean

Pop star sings songs that made her famous SHAME! Fans leave arena fully satisfied SCANDAL! "Greatest Hits" without that Virgin song? SHOCKER!

WHO CARES?

No one said it was a bad thing.

No one said it was a bad thing.

That's the underlying 'accusation' aimed at this tour. Usually by people salivating over big cheapo screens of pink CGI gobstoppers being made (S&S) as opposed to the eeire brilliance of The Beast Within.

Based on what? A semi-bootlegged Lisbon youtube upload? Criticism is one thing, but to label ANY Madonna tour boring (even her alltime nadir of S&S) is just WRONG. The real end.

Kim, you know I love you but let's not re-write history here. Re-Invention was sold to the public a greatest-hits tour. Regardless of what her motives or intentions were, that's how it was promoted.

Guest Rachelle of London

Based on what? A semi-bootlegged Lisbon youtube upload? Criticism is one thing, but to label ANY Madonna tour boring (even her alltime nadir of S&S) is just WRONG. The real end.

The housewife wears a kilt and dances to missy Elliot tour was boring compared to the magnificent tours that came before and definitely the ones that followed.

That's the underlying 'accusation' aimed at this tour. Usually by people salivating over big cheapo screens of pink CGI gobstoppers being made (S&S) as opposed to the eeire brilliance of The Beast Within.

Sticky & Sweet and Reinvention are two very different beasts but in many respects two sides of the same coin. One could even argue that Sticky was the more 'stadium-friendly' version of Reinvention. But in my opinion, they are two of her weaker tours and really are not of the same calibre as, say, MDNA, Drowned World, Girlie Show, Blond Ambition and, yes, Confessions.

Look, let's face it - every tour has its detractors. Some people do not understand the genius of Blond Ambition and moan about the Dick Tracy segment; some fail to see the cohesive genius of Confessions and instead label it a disco dolly frivolity; some even think that Drowned World is too pretentious rather than see it for the theatrical masterpiece it was; and so on and so forth.

As for Re-Invention: well, let's face it - there is no denying that the tour was promoted as a greatest-hits set. Whether the motivations were the relative floppage of American Life, or the fact that Drowned World left the public in awe of her as a theatrical pop artist but bemoaned the lack of some of the hits, or whether it was because Madonna just felt like singing "Crazy for You" and putting on a corset is up for speculation but it probably was a bit of all three.

Kim, you know I love you but let's not re-write history here. Re-Invention was sold to the public a greatest-hits tour. Regardless of what her motives or intentions were, that's how it was promoted.

Ah yes the infamous advert that NO ONE ACTUALLY SAW. Replace Music with Open Your Heart and it could almost be an advert for the MDNA tour. The ticket sales for RIT (so immense they had to switch venues in London to keep up with the demand) didn't need no advert, tho it's nice to be reminded of the days when promo actually existed.

The housewife wears a kilt and dances to missy Elliot tour was boring compared to the magnificent tours that came before and definitely the ones that followed.

Grandma jumping rope was a real step up, yes.

c0ux3.png

"Dying inside right now"

Oh and Suedehate, shut up. I forgot to mention in my first post what a dumb "theory" the original post was anyway :bad: