New album thread: Madonna thug gangsta rap album

Absolutely agree..... Im hoping for more cohesion with this album....... Her best albums are the ones that flow seamlessly, with a less eratic choice of track listing n direction....

Whilst the debate for HC and MDNA will go on till the end of time, its clear that the emphasis this time around needs closer analysis and a return to leading the crowd and not emulating it.. Although I concede there were still touches of genius on both of the aforementioned albums.

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for MDNA, It still has 3 of my all time favourite M tacks from her on that album in Masterpiece, Im addicted, n Love spent..

Kinda Ironic that for me personally she got it so right with those tracks, yet It was the first album (in its entirety) of her career that I couldn't connect with. But, putting a positive spin on it.. I do think it brought on board some younger fans that didn`t have M on their radar before, so maybe it served the exact purpose it was intended too eh..!.....

Madonna was the one that didn't want to promote MDNA because she wanted to work on the tour and stay with her family. Stop blaming Guy.

Well he's a terrible manager for agreeing to that then. M's career has been the least credible and artistically interesting or ethical since she's been with him. I adore her and can't wait for the next album but she attacks capitalism on one hand but then does perfumes, gyms, skin creams, kids clothes and other utter shit. Thats all fine. But you can't critique mass culture at the same time and go on about money not being important. Or you can. But, as she moans in Art for freedom, no one will take you seriously.

Anyway, hopefully the new album will be turning the tide and she'll be back on top.

Ugh, People still whining about MDNA instead of showing some excitement for the new record. There have been threads and threads on MDNA with some loving it and some hating it, let's talk about the new album in this thread.

Well, people are bound to revert to historical content, me included, all the time nothing new n concrete is out there to discuss.

Some of us are new here and haven`t had the opportunity to read through the past 2 odd years of posts on the subject.. Its a bitch, but better that posts are being added rather than nowt hitting the boards.. keeps thing's ticking over... So add something new n productive to the discussion rather than critiquing what`s being said by those who wander off topic during the wait for new info.....!

i just hope that when the album drops she'll go on talkshows, awardshows, etc....it's a win-win situation for her; she's out there promoting her single, album AND she can talk about what's important to her, her artforfreedom project, its an oppurtunity to get people to know about it.

im so excited to see what she has been cooking for the last couple of months with all these incredible songwriters and producers. add M to the recipe and i'm sure we are in for a very very delicious cake she has to offer!

bring on unapologeticbitch, rebel heart or whatever the new album is gonna called.

i'm ready when she's ready!!

Guy Oseary knows exactly what he's doing, which is why he's working for Madonna and U2. He knows the business inside and out, and fully respects them as artists, as well as their artistic legacies. Big record sales are great, but both U2 and Madonna are well past their sales peaks. Artistically Madonna can soar as high as she wants too, but she will never sell ROL numbers for an album again. The general audience for pop music, and dance in particular, is young, and they don't care about her like that.

Madonna is always ahead of the curve, and she figured that out years ago, which is why she signed with Live Nation in the first place.

Touring is where the real money in music is made, and she pretty much slays everyone. Every pop star on the planet would trade places with her in a minute. She is where they all want to be. I'm sure Madonna would love to get another U.S number one, but it's not an obsession of hers, the way it is for so many of her forum managers. The fact that this woman still gets number one albums in multiple countries, is absolutely astounding. With the right mix of radio spins, and payola, I have no doubt she can, and will get that number one single...at some point.

I can't wait to see what Guy has in store for her, because the meltdowns will be glorious. ;)

Did all the crap and even desperate attempts at relevancy done by Michael Jackson, Elton John or Elvis damage their legacy?? No. You can't take away a body of work like that. They all could be selling jewelry at QVC right now and it would not take away from their "legacy." Aretha has been obese and out of the charts since last millennium and she's still has her legacy intact.

Giving away this album was G-E-N-I-U-S. Forget Beyawnce. She probably made less money than what U2 made before the album was even released AND without having to film a single music video. But the genius part is that, because there are rabid U2 fans out there who must have a physical copy of an album, they are still going to sell a considerable amount of units: bonus money! They had an advance to make the album and got paid the equivalent of selling millions before the album was even available. They don't care if it goes to #1 because it's ineligible anyway. So no one can say "oh, it flopped" or that its sales were underwhelming. Plus, everyone is suddenly talking about U2 again, when was the last time that happened??

The tour is going to sell out and they are going to make more money than ever.

Guy O is the ultimate Material Boy.

Guest Rachelle of London

Are you guys STILL blaming Guy for something that Madonna herself said was her idea.

So Madonna should pimp herself on every TV show, chat show etc to sell a few more thousand copies. Forget about her children, forget about a tour just so she can do a few letterman interviews.

Last time we got the most amazing tour, the Super Bowl, and a bloody movie, m still had one of the best selling albums of that year. What more do fans want?

It's 2014! No one promotes albums like they did 16 years ago. No one. Get over it.

Are you guys STILL blaming Guy for something that Madonna herself said was her idea.

So Madonna should pimp herself on every TV show, chat show etc to sell a few more thousand copies. Forget about her children, forget about a tour just so she can do a few letterman interviews.

Last time we got the most amazing tour, the Super Bowl, and a bloody movie, m still had one of the best selling albums of that year. What more do fans want?

It's 2014! No one promotes albums like they did 16 years ago. No one. Get over it.

Happy-Clap.gif

Absolutely, she should secure tv appearances on certain shows......Got nothing to do with getting over it...... Its about exposure and keeping yaself in the headlights.....keeping the album on the mainframe of charts for longer than a few weeks... A bit of longevity.. And just because no one else is promoting that way... which is a complete broadstroke cause they absolutely are......Doesn`t mean that going back to basics as another tool in the strategy won`t pay dividends.........

Edited by bumholegeorge

Absolutely, she should secure tv appearances on certain shows......Got nothing to do with getting over it...... Its about exposure and keeping yaself in the headlights.....keeping the album on the mainframe of charts for longer than a few weeks... A bit of longevity.. And just because no one else is promoting that way... which is a complete broadstroke cause they absolutely are......Doesn`t mean that going back to basics as another tool in the strategy won`t pay dividends.........

Agreed. That's kind of her job. Signing record deals is not just about making the record, it's also about promoting it. The companies don't sign you for fun, they need it to sell. If you don't want to promote it then you don't sell as many records and you don't keep your position on top or get signed again or have people hear your record and then come to your concerts. ROL and Confessions did so well because the records were strong enough to appeal to people who weren't hardcore fans. You need to make sure those people hear about them!

She needs to do a ton of promotion for this album like she did for Confessions. Hopefully she will!

Guest Rachelle of London

What would be the point! Going on all these shows costs money! How much more would she sell? Gaga went on every show going, did Artpoop even outsell MDNA?

Guest Rachelle of London

Confessions this confessions that. The music business has changed so much since then. 9 years ago. Madonna was also married, and her kids were a lot younger. The pressure to be with her children wasn't as much. Let Madonna do what she wants. She always delivers. I'm glad we have the MDNA tour to look back on rather than a performance on Strictly Come Dancing.

I can't be in the minority.

No one promotes like 15 years ago? Hellooooo justin timberlake, hello kylie minogue, hello katy perry!

Guest Rachelle of London

So tired of fans thinking doing a bunch of shows is the answer. Its what Gaga and Mariah do, and their careers are over.

Thank you! Even in the 80s Madonna wasn't out there and back then she was still a new artist.

Guest Rachelle of London

No one promotes like 15 years ago? Hellooooo justin timberlake, hello kylie minogue, hello katy perry!

So you want Madonna to end up like Kylie nobody's heard of me Minogue. :lmao:

All 3 artists would swap with Madonna in a heartbeat. Madonnas actually making money.

Its not to do with money Junkie.. Its about being up front and centre and re-igniting interest for the long-term, primarily with the come n go fans ... Its clear that in recent years her audience has become that of mainly hardcore fans ...

Irrespective of peoples perspective on the kinda promotional shows she could do, they have an immediate impact because of their collective mass audience, all in the same place at the same time.. You only have to go onto iTunes 20 mins after a performance on a show like BGT or XFactor to see how those performances translate into physical sales of not only that song but of the back catalogue n greatest hits etc. ..

I completely agree that a few extra quid from sales is not the main objective, but what it does do that online media doesn`t is get a mass response from the right demographic at a time when people can act on it and purchase. And that presence has all kindsa positive side effects when it comes to maintaining an awareness for her music in the minds of those who mighta strayed....

Do I wanna see her have the kind of impact again now that she`s had so many times before across a broader spectrum.... Definititey.. Being on top gives ya more opportunities to take more chances, push buttons and be experimental and that's the Madonna that inspires me.....

Well he's a terrible manager for agreeing to that then. M's career has been the least credible and artistically interesting or ethical since she's been with him. I adore her and can't wait for the next album but she attacks capitalism on one hand but then does perfumes, gyms, skin creams, kids clothes and other utter shit. Thats all fine. But you can't critique mass culture at the same time and go on about money not being important. Or you can. But, as she moans in Art for freedom, no one will take you seriously.

Anyway, hopefully the new album will be turning the tide and she'll be back on top.

Guy gets such a hard time from fans and it's not necassary.

Madonna herself chose not to promote MDNA following the bowl because she had to rehearse it her tour.... Pure and simple.

I'm sure Guy and Interscope all wished he would of done more to plug the album, but I don't blame Madonna or not wanting too, she NEEDS solid rehearsal time it's a massive show.....and the tour was literally 2months after the album dropped so ZERO time!

What I "hope" happens this time round is that the album and the tour are 6MONTHS apart to allow time for an "era" ahead of the tour.

But because recording sessions have taken longer.....i can see 2015 being the same timetable as 2012.....album closely followed by the tour.

So if TV isn't relevant.. why do we have so many peak career artist's all clambering to get onto those schedule's

When I stop seeing Rhianna, Taylor Swift , Katie Perry, Ed Sheeran, Etc etc the list is endless, promo-ing on those kinda shows and with sustained impact to their sales n popularity, I will take your point....... But for now we`ll just have to take opposing corners... :tongue:

She needs her to put bums on seats!! She needs to do special performances that is broadcast all over. People here don't want her to whore herself everywhere but a performance here and there..

Most importantly her music needs to grab people! Has to be brilliant, people will want to hear brilliant songs on tour.

I actually think people miss Madonna, want new music! bring it on M!