[Appreciate] Madonna's handwritten 1996 Q&A with Icon

Mattress

Thank you Mattress for posting this. So many memories reading this. Loved how Madonna talked about her being a child as the mysterious person in "This used to be my playground" and loved that she loves her fans defending her. I know she has now changed her mind about Material Girl - through subsequent interviews. Wonderful to read this again and see how candid and open she was in answering the questions.

That's my question on the first page - What is the most unusual person/place or thing that inspired you to write a song? I was so happy that it was one of the questions that was chosen and I love her answer. Put a whole new spin on the song for me.

Thanks for posting this - I haven't seen it in so long :)

I had never seen/read this.

funny how fans have been pushing her to work with patrick leonard since a long time ago, I feel like something really bad happened between the two, I know it has probably been discussed to death but we should have a patrick leonard thread one day, both as homage and to learn the story between the two.

Thank u so much! This is a blast from the past! I love her answers, sharp as always. I actually have this copy somewhere.

Ahhh......the golden age of Icon. :) It was so very exciting when that big envelope would come in the mail.

I had never seen/read this.funny how fans have been pushing her to work with patrick leonard since a long time ago, I feel like something really bad happened between the two, I know it has probably been discussed to death but we should have a patrick leonard thread one day, both as homage and to learn the story between the two.

I've never heard of anything bad between them, I think they could work together in the future. I don't think she and Stephen Bray will ever work together again though (unfortunately) because of the whole Pre-Madonna thing.

That's my question on the first page - What is the most unusual person/place or thing that inspired you to write a song? I was so happy that it was one of the questions that was chosen and I love her answer. Put a whole new spin on the song for me.

Thanks for posting this - I haven't seen it in so long :)

Fantastic question Stephen and so glad she answered it. Reading about the meanings behind Love tried to Welcome me - as your great question lead to :thumbsup: - and the mysterious person in "this used to be my playground" made this question and answer so informative and more interesting than most interviews.

Thank u so much! This is a blast from the past! I love her answers, sharp as always. I actually have this copy somewhere.

Ahhh......the golden age of Icon. :) It was so very exciting when that big envelope would come in the mail.

Kurt, same here. I loved the Icon books and miss them.

I had never seen/read this.

funny how fans have been pushing her to work with patrick leonard since a long time ago, I feel like something really bad happened between the two, I know it has probably been discussed to death but we should have a patrick leonard thread one day, both as homage and to learn the story between the two.

I've never heard of anything bad between them, I think they could work together in the future. I don't think she and Stephen Bray will ever work together again though (unfortunately) because of the whole Pre-Madonna thing.

Right. I mean, for a time it seemed Patrick Leonard had built up a resentment about her "schocking" and "controversial" visual treatment of the music they created together for the Like a Prayer album. (He said as much in the VH1 Behind the Music special -- that there was a magical quality about that music and that time, and it was all overshadowed by the scandalous music video...)

HOWEVER, she has engaged Patrick since then -- "I'll Remember" and multiple songs on Ray of Light, plus he composed the score for her documentary, I Am Because We Are. If there was a rift between the two of them, I don't think she would have retained his services again.

I miss those envelopes too!!