It's been 15 years since a ballad music video

frzndrwnwrld

Why is she so against releasing ballads? She didn't used to be like that. Just look at the tracklist of Something To Remember. The Power Of Good-Bye was the last proper ballad release.

What It Feels Like For A Girl had the remix video.

Nothing Fails had no video.

Miles Away video used random tour footage and was only a promo.

Masterpiece wasn't a single.

I wish her singles would represent her albums better, like this:

Music

What It Feels Like For A Girl

Don't Tell Me

Paradise (Not For Me)

Impressive Instant

Love Profusion

Nothing Fails

Nobody Knows Me

Intervention

Hung Up

Get Together

Forbidden Love

Future Lovers

Candy Shop

Beat Goes On

Miles Away

Give It 2 Me

Masterpiece

I'm Addicted

Love Spent

I Don't Give A

Yes. Adele, Miley, Britney, Katy, etc have all released ballads. Besides, Madonna shouldn't choose a single based on what is on the charts. She tried that. It didn't work. Time for something else.

I wouldn't consider any of those recent singles from those artists as traditional "ballads" per say...except maybe Adele (and she is clearly the exception considering the kind of music she makes and caters to).

Madonna's management is all about big bucks. They know that ballads aren't going to be popular with the market they want to attract. Its sad. The late 90's ballads were very big. Since the 00's not so much. I love Madonna's ballads, Paradise (Not For Me), To Have And Not To Hold, Gone, Intervention they are amazing songs some of the best

Her ballads are the best. At least we got some gorgeous ones on MDNA... also, the slower version of "Love Spent" by William Orbit and performed on the one leg of the MDNA tour is now one of my faves by her.

Edited by madmark

I don't know why she is caring about charts anymore with a club banger.... something ethereal, beautiful and serious is what she needs to throw at the word as her big first new single next... and sure, it could be "ballad-y" if that is what seems to be more popular now.

Like everybody keeps saying, it isn't like radio is going to play her big banger tune anyway that would probably be better suited to an "Ariana Grande" type artist.

Come on Madonna, let the work speak for itself and you never know, it could still be a big hit for her, sell the same amount of digital singles anyway because you know the fans will buy it, stream it, etc. What they are "banking on" isn't going to be much different no matter what she releases, but her credibility will be a lot higher with something more serious this time around.

Edited by madmark

Even with the mixed reviews of MDNA from long time fans, I still believe the ballads on the album were very good. I know some people don't like some specific ballads, but Masterpiece, FF, & IFU were very good tracks.

What made M singles choices so interesting in the past were that some of her ballads had been chosen as singles. I love GGW & TUTR, but it became obvious early on that those songs would not be substantial hits at this point in M career.

I also love Miles Away, but the lazy video did not do anything to promote the single at the time.

what has the world missed so far?

what it feel like for a girl

i deserve it

gone

time stood still

nothing fails

x-static process

intervention

easy ride

devil wouldn't recognize you

masterpiece

falling free

11 songs with a potential of "single release"

...all gone now!..

These all could have been such amazing videos!!

I think I'm the only person in the world that likes the video they made for Miles Away. :)

MA video is realistically not bad at all. I just have held high standards for most of M videos because they have been consistently very good throughout her career. I do love the single & even the official club remixes kicked ass back in the day.

what has the world missed so far?

what it feel like for a girl

i deserve it

gone

time stood still

nothing fails

x-static process

intervention

easy ride

devil wouldn't recognize you

masterpiece

falling free

11 songs with a potential of "single release"

...all gone now!..

I deserve it would have been a beautiful single

all her ballads are amazing. there is no bad song at all. she's the queen of ballads whether she likes it or not. I feel it comes even easier to her than a dance track. she has a natural talent and ear for it :p i agree she should release a few more ballads. maybe one ballad per new album. it's something. and same for her videos without story lines lately. we know she's capable of it but recently her videos are similar to those of every other pop girl.

its a shame because that's what really stands out with madonna: her stories and the whole image and concept of her videos.

As much as I would love a nice serious beautiful ballad-y style song from her this time around as the lead single, I don't think it's going to happen, I think we are getting "yasss bitch I'm Madonna pop bottles at da club" which could still very well be fun if done in the right way I suppose, lol.....

I think it would be cool to get a "Something to Remember part 2" album in the future if she really gets in the mood to finally release that single as the lead single. THEN she could feature on the album some of these beautiful songs you guys are mentioning from the late 90's/2000's that the world didn't get to hear as much or focus on, plus tack on some songs she missed on the first compilation album like "The Look of Love" and any other rare gems.

A boy can dream, haha.

Edited by madmark

Only if the industry trends move towards the standard being ballads and mid-tempos could I see any of this happening. As of right now, we're still in the EDM era, moving more and more towards a resurgence of dance-oriented funk/R&B/and even House (thank god).

Wasn't she disappointed with her chart positions? She tried a lot to beat Boyz II Men and then, You Must Love Me she really wanted to be a #1. Frozen was #2 losing for a similar R&B song by K-Ci & Jojo, must have broken her heart. Then the dance music she released brought a new direction to her decisions.

Only if the industry trends move towards the standard being ballads and mid-tempos could I see any of this happening. As of right now, we're still in the EDM era, moving more and more towards a resurgence of dance-oriented funk/R&B/and even House (thank god).

But all that shit sounds the same. It's so boring!

MA video is realistically not bad at all. I just have held high standards for most of M videos because they have been consistently very good throughout her career. I do love the single & even the official club remixes kicked ass back in the day.

I agree Miles Away did have a great video and Madonna obviously loves that song because we have it a place on Celebration!

....which was terrible as it took up the space of a REAL hit!

But all that shit sounds the same. It's so boring!

Speak for yourself. I'm glad some funkiness is coming back to this tired-ass EDM shit. Talk about 'sounding the same'.

If more producers other than Pharrell started in on it too, then perhaps it wouldn't all be so...similar.

I find it interesting that #1 singles were passed up for Miles Away. I guess they wanted first and last Warner singles on it. Actually, Everybody wasn't a hit either. It was in the clubs, but it didn't chart elsewhere.