Mother and Father. Good as it is or wasted opportunity?

karbatal

I'm sometimes divided about Mother and Father. I like it when Madonna does weird things and I like the song. But sometimes i feel that it had much more potential and could easily have been a hit, if they had worked it properly into another direction.

Mother and Father has a good production, but lacks a bit of energy at first. Her voice doesnt' help there. I love the fact that she uses that eerie/creepy little girl voice there, a voice that shows the hysteria of a girl which world is falling apart. But if the lyrics had been different, more about accepting reality and looking for someone that she can care for...

At the end of the song, when she sings "find somebody to loveeeee", you can hear that 80s Madonna in Ciconne/Bray songs. That direction could have been so great. 2003 was the year when the 80s were everywhere, Madonna even did that Into the Groove vs. Hollywood mashup.

What do you think?

I agree. I have a love hate relationship with Mother And Father. Some of the lyrics put me off the song, I think mostly the "rap". It's a good song, but the lyrics about her dad going to work and thinking he was a jerk type lyrics let it down. I actually laugh when I hear the rap. Good song but could have been much better

It's mostly her high and shrill vocals and the friction with her back vocals in the stanzas that put me off. Then when the "I got to give it up, find someone to love me..." part kicks in the song becomes great. I would have loved softer vocals when she sings in the childish pitch at the end. It's all a bit much and too sharp for my ears to enjoy it...

One of her best songs IMO. I guess the reason why I love it so much is because when I listened to AL, it gave me a Madonna shock (I wasn't a fan back then). I was very amazed with the songs and the album's direction as a whole after knowing only the popular Madonna singles.

So perhaps, older fans preferred her old style of singing that's why they can't appreciate Mother and Father.

Some of y'all are some kind of crazy. Mother & Father is one of Madonna's BEST songs. It's so vulnerable and I think the shrill vocal lends to that idea. It's got a great production that slowly builds up to an impressive finale. That last minute alone is so powerful, I feel it rushing in my bones! It was never made to be a hit. Not every song needs to be. It was meant to be an album track and it is a SUPERB one. :sassy:

I love everything about it. Fierce sounding and amazing beats. I always love the part when she starts to sing "i gotta give it up..." How i wish it was a single because i find the song catchy. But the lyrics has no universeal appeal that the gp can relate to.

Guest bluejean

I love this song. It's definitely one of the catchiest songs on the album but I don't think it would have resonated with the public theme wise.

I love this song. It's definitely one of the catchiest songs on the album but I don't think it would have resonated with the public theme wise.

I agree, but I would have really liked a video. What happened to that animated video that Robster was working on?

The rap and indeed the whole song is written with a childlike vulnerability, "my father had to go to work I used to think he was a jerk", it's all very six years old. She was young when she died and uses that. It's not "Mer Girl".

The rap and indeed the whole song is written with a childlike vulnerability, "my father had to go to work I used to think he was a jerk", it's all very six years old. She was young when she died and uses that. It's not "Mer Girl".

Yes, I think that was lost on a lot of people. Like any Madonna song, you have to dig beneath the surface.

Exactly, and that's what I love about it. She is talking about how she felt around the time her mother died, and right after comes this part which se sings with a softer, calmer voice (the adult her):

I didn't know his heart was broken

And not another word was spoken

He became a shadow of

The father I was dreaming of