Is American Life Album underrated just because of its sales!

Jumpb4uthink

Guest Rachelle of London

It's a brilliant album! My 2nd favourite AL haters need to get out of Confessions ass and just enjoy the music

This is how I rank Madonna's albums:

1. Like a Prayer

2. Ray of Light

3. Rebel Heart

4. Music

5. Confessions on a Dance Floor

6. American Life

7. Erotica

8. Bedtime Stories

9. Madonna

10. Like a Virgin

11. True Blue

12. MDNA

13. Hard Candy

14. I'm Breathless

This is how I rank Madonna's albums:

1. Like a Prayer

2. Ray of Light

3. Rebel Heart

4. Music

5. Confessions on a Dance Floor

6. American Life

7. Erotica

8. Bedtime Stories

9. Madonna

10. Like a Virgin

11. True Blue

12. MDNA

13. Hard Candy

14. I'm Breathless

Like your list. I ranked my albums in the past here. For some reason, I just find it too difficult to do with M discography.

I really have about seven favorite albums from M!

It's underrated and it underperformed because Time Warner and Clear Channel put a ban on her for speaking out against the Iraqi war

:stir::stir::stir::stir::stir::stir::stir::lmao:

The infamous Clear Channel Conspiracy :bad:

Love AL for the most part. Lyrically a little weak in places but so what.

I remember at the time of the release, many critics gave it mixed to favorable reviews. I do remember talking to casual fans & they did not seem familiar with AL. I use to go to clubs & bars in NY around this time, & DJs would often play many of the great official remixes that she was releasing. AL might be the best album for club mixes.

Doesn't it hold the record for most Top Tens from one album on the US Hot Dance Club Songs chart?

I think it's underrated by critics and casual fans, but overrated by some very dedicated fans who claim it's her masterpiece. I like it and do listen to it from time to time, but I don't think it's her best album, but it's not her worst either.

Doesn't it hold the record for most Top Tens from one album on the US Hot Dance Club Songs chart?

That's interesting- I don't really know. You reminded me that from the billboard chart, there was six number one dance songs out of AL.

From listening to the album, you don't get the impression there were many club hits.

I love American Life. And it has aged so wonderfully over the years. I love it when she goes left field after a big commercial success and doesn't follow the obvious route.

I think Rebel Heart 2014 will be a massive commercial success (as we all know) but the 2016 album will be a big indie left field move. Mark my words.

Well, I don't know. I kinda feel that Rebel Heart (funny how that title seems obvious) is going to be thematically and lyrically her closest album to American Life. Speaking of that I'd rather have this "big indie left field move" now, though with the producers we know of it's obviously going to be a more serious, but yet another dance album.

Me and my brother loved AL when we listened to it for the first time on the day of release, he's always listened to the album a lot where as me not so much, but recently I've been turning to this album quite a bit, I had it on in the car the other day and I think it's great, it flows so well and I love that it includes Die Another Die. Nobody Knows Me, Mother & Father, Intervention, I'm So Stupid... all great songs.

I think the album has aged very well. And like somebody else said, I also always considered AL to be a continuation of Music in terms of sound.

That's interesting- I don't really know. You reminded me that from the billboard chart, there was six number one dance songs out of AL.

From listening to the album, you don't get the impression there were many club hits.

Seven Top Tens, not all of them went Number One.

DAD (#1), AL (#1), H (#1), NF (#1), LP (#1), KNM (#4), and M&F (#9).

Is the "American Life" album underrated just because of its sales? No, it's not.

I'm not the only fan here old enough to remember the album's release and have participated in Madonna forums at the time. The album was hugely divisive in the fan community. There were "It rocks!" / "No, it sucks!" shouting matches from the day it was released -- before it tanked on the charts.

Let's not forget that album debuted strong across the world. It wasn't clear that the album would flop until it was out for a couple weeks, as it began to tumble quickly down (and off) the charts.

I hated the album when it was released. It was intentionally harsh where "Music" was fun and weird, the lyrics were preachy where "Music" was sincere -- the whole thing felt forced. It's grown on me over the years, though I still skip tracks 1 - 3 when I play it.

Sorry babe, but let's not rewrite history. Bedtime Stories, Music and Confessions did NOT have mixed reviews. The reviews were almost unanimously positive for all these albums.

Truth. "Music" and "Confessions" were nominated for countless awards and went home with more than a few. That they were critical darlings is indisputable.

"Bedtime Stories" got a lot less love from the awards circuit, and its near shut-out from the Grammys was a mini scandal at the time. Liz had a particularly catty statement about it.

heres' the thing, if you have to debate, write articles and try to convince people whether or not an album is good, it probably isn't.

I don't think it didn't do well b/c of sales

I don't think it didn't do well b/c of the Iraq war or her speaking out on politics.

I think it didn't do well b/c it had too many dreary, depressing mediocre songs on it.

Nothing fails is overrated. the title track is terrible. Hollywood is okay at best.

Nobody knows me, which lets face it, was supposed to be the "dance track" on the album, is insulated & underwhelming.

There are some nice songs on it, I kind of do like Die Another Day, Love Profusion and Mother and Father is an interesting musical statement.

the problem with it for me is it doesn't have enough fun moments on it like a great Madonna album should.

Edited by TriggerMGee

It's simply amazing to find, here on this discussion board, so many women like myself who 'burn in the bum'. And I'm happily astounded to discover, for the first time in my life, that there are lots of ladies who regularly engage in anal intercourse without shame.

But I've had trouble convincing my gentleman friend to give it a go, and I'd like some advice.

Please allow me to tell my story. I'm 38 years old, and currently in the process of ending a 17-year marriage. From time to time, I used to ask my husband if he'd like to try anal sex. His answer was always that this act could only be for the man's enjoyment, since a woman can't experience pleasure there; he said that if he were to do this to me, it would be an assault on my dignity as a woman and very sexist to boot.

From a very young age, I felt a sometimes dizzying urge to be penetrated in my anus, and I was afraid there might not be another woman like me. In sexual matters I felt quite alone in the world. What I read about lovemaking never mentioned anal sex except as a homosexual practice. When I thought too much about it, I wondered if I might really be a gay man in a woman's body. Though I felt very ashamed of it, I couldn't help putting a finger into my behind sometimes. I had my first orgasms like this.

About 9 years ago I bought a vibrator, and one night when my husband was away and my 2 children asleep I stuck it into my bum. A choir of angels sang all around me: almost right away I had an orgasm that shook my whole body and left my hand almost too weak to hold the vibrator. I could move it just a little, and I came again. I did all I could to keep from screaming because I didn't want to wake the children.

When I masturbate (I've done so frequently since I turned 30), my only activity is to put the vibrator in my rear. If anything it has become more and more explosive, and I so wish to feel a man in me back there.

Though I never mentioned the vibrator to my husband -- he would have strongly disapproved of it -- I did communicate my anal cravings to him. He said it was not in his nature to participate in the physical degradation of a woman, especially not his own wife.

Thank God the divorce is progressing. I'm happy to have begun a few months ago a discreet liaison with a wonderful man, 2 years younger than I; he's very tender and sensuous, and extremely eager to please me in bed. We do a lot together, all of it truly delightful: for example, I've discovered the pure joy of swallowing his sperm, as though I'm ingesting the intimate taste and heat of his very essence. Most often we do 69, which is a new treat for both of us. I find it fully satisfying; I also love making love to him in the traditional fashion, while waiting for the crown jewel of anal sex.

But when I offer him my behind, even if I speak plainly about my experiments with the vibrator, he gets pretty uncomfortable. Because of a single experience when he was young, with a girl he knew in school, he's afraid of hurting me despite my strongest reassurances.

I'm quite sure he has only the best in mind for me; but I'm on fire for the anal ecstasy that he won't give me, which was also sorely missing from an overlong marriage.

To those still reading, I apologise for the length of this posting. I couldn't begin to express how good it feels to finally speak freely about such a delicate and personal matter. I will appreciate any and all advice from the fabulous ladies who post to this discussion board.

Here, then, is my question: How do I convince this adorable man that I would only feel his deepest, most sensitive love for me if he were to ram his rock-hard prick all the way up my red-hot virgin arse?

It's simply amazing to find, here on this discussion board, so many women like myself who 'burn in the bum'. And I'm happily astounded to discover, for the first time in my life, that there are lots of ladies who regularly engage in anal intercourse without shame.

But I've had trouble convincing my gentleman friend to give it a go, and I'd like some advice.

Please allow me to tell my story. I'm 38 years old, and currently in the process of ending a 17-year marriage. From time to time, I used to ask my husband if he'd like to try anal sex. His answer was always that this act could only be for the man's enjoyment, since a woman can't experience pleasure there; he said that if he were to do this to me, it would be an assault on my dignity as a woman and very sexist to boot.

From a very young age, I felt a sometimes dizzying urge to be penetrated in my anus, and I was afraid there might not be another woman like me. In sexual matters I felt quite alone in the world. What I read about lovemaking never mentioned anal sex except as a homosexual practice. When I thought too much about it, I wondered if I might really be a gay man in a woman's body. Though I felt very ashamed of it, I couldn't help putting a finger into my behind sometimes. I had my first orgasms like this.

About 9 years ago I bought a vibrator, and one night when my husband was away and my 2 children asleep I stuck it into my bum. A choir of angels sang all around me: almost right away I had an orgasm that shook my whole body and left my hand almost too weak to hold the vibrator. I could move it just a little, and I came again. I did all I could to keep from screaming because I didn't want to wake the children.

When I masturbate (I've done so frequently since I turned 30), my only activity is to put the vibrator in my rear. If anything it has become more and more explosive, and I so wish to feel a man in me back there.

Though I never mentioned the vibrator to my husband -- he would have strongly disapproved of it -- I did communicate my anal cravings to him. He said it was not in his nature to participate in the physical degradation of a woman, especially not his own wife.

Thank God the divorce is progressing. I'm happy to have begun a few months ago a discreet liaison with a wonderful man, 2 years younger than I; he's very tender and sensuous, and extremely eager to please me in bed. We do a lot together, all of it truly delightful: for example, I've discovered the pure joy of swallowing his sperm, as though I'm ingesting the intimate taste and heat of his very essence. Most often we do 69, which is a new treat for both of us. I find it fully satisfying; I also love making love to him in the traditional fashion, while waiting for the crown jewel of anal sex.

But when I offer him my behind, even if I speak plainly about my experiments with the vibrator, he gets pretty uncomfortable. Because of a single experience when he was young, with a girl he knew in school, he's afraid of hurting me despite my strongest reassurances.

I'm quite sure he has only the best in mind for me; but I'm on fire for the anal ecstasy that he won't give me, which was also sorely missing from an overlong marriage.

To those still reading, I apologise for the length of this posting. I couldn't begin to express how good it feels to finally speak freely about such a delicate and personal matter. I will appreciate any and all advice from the fabulous ladies who post to this discussion board.

Here, then, is my question: How do I convince this adorable man that I would only feel his deepest, most sensitive love for me if he were to ram his rock-hard prick all the way up my red-hot virgin arse?

Why are you an admin?

This post is NSFW and very disturbing.

Anyway...I do think that American Life is incredibly underrated. Is it underrated because of it's sales? No. But it's underrated because it was even more experimental than ROL and definitely more preachy, BUT you can tell Madonna really felt she had express herself on some topics she talks about on this album and I think it was kind of hard for a lot of people to swallow. Especially the sociocritical songs, AL in particular.

I think the album was one of the first that has attempted to mix electronic music and acoustic/folk elements, which nowadays is pretty much a common thing and I do admit that back in 2003 it was really just an attempt rather than a success. I still love the album and think it's one of her most artistic and beautiful records. There are so many great songs that really need more appreciation than they get these days.

Had Stuart Price gotten the chance to do some final mastering/mixing on the album the album might have become a much greater success with maybe a bit of a stronger lead single I think (Nobody Knows Me - Stuart Price RIT Remix) but in the end it didn't really matter because the album is great the way it is. I think in a few years it will get the recognition that Erotica got recently and I'm so looking forward to that!

Edited by JimmyJimmy

Why are you an admin?

Anyway...I do think that American Life is incredibly underrated. Is it underrated because of it's sales? No. But it's underrated because it was even more experimental than ROL and definitely more preachy, BUT you can tell Madonna really felt she had express herself on some topics she talks about on this album and I think it was kind of hard for a lot of people to swallow. Especially the sociocritical songs, AL in particular.

I think the album was one of the first that has attempted to mix electronic music and acoustic/folk elements, which nowadays is pretty much a common thing and I do admit that back in 2003 it was really just an attempt rather than a success. I still love the album and think it's one of her most artistic and beautiful records. There are so many great songs that really need more appreciation than they get these days.

Had Stuart Price gotten the chance to do some final mastering/mixing on the album the album might have become a much greater success with maybe a bit of a stronger lead single I think (Nobody Knows Me - Stuart Price RIT Remix) but in the end it didn't really matter because the album is great the way it is. I think in a few years it will get the recognition that Erotica got recently and I'm so looking forward to that!

Um where are your anal sex tips for women? Post some immediately or I'll ban you.

I think it didn't do well b/c it had too many dreary, depressing mediocre songs on it.

Fuck off!

I did communicate my anal cravings to him. He said it was not in his nature to participate in the physical degradation of a woman, especially not his own wife.when I offer him my behind, even if I speak plainly about my experiments with the vibrator, he gets pretty uncomfortable. Because of a single experience when he was young, with a girl he knew in school, he's afraid of hurting me despite my strongest reassurances.

Fuck him!

Why are you an admin?

Fuck you!

Post some immediately or I'll ban you.

Fuck me!