William Orbit again on ROL and MDNA

TearsInHeaven

Oh William Orbit. Ugh. Yes Ray of Light was great but it was never going to happen again the way Like a Prayer was never going to happen again. The way Confessions will never happen again.

Hence why he was brought in later. Hence why his tracks on Music are the fans least favorite of the album.

Madonna knows this about William, Patrick and Stuart.

So you all need to learn this too. And STFU and trust madonnas process.

Glad to be here to help. :rotfl:

im quite well aware of what the conversation was regarding, whoopie. xo

all im saying is his mentally deficient outburst on his facebook was from fans tweeting and asking questions and was completely uncalled for and he was making excuses for his inadequate work, as far as im concerned.

i know he is considered holy among madonna fans born between 1980-1987. but not to me.

:ass:

... not to me either.

I like his work in the context of the late 90s... but I don't understand this hold he has on Madonna fans...or why he's put on this pedestal...

I don't understand this hold he has on Madonna fans...or why he's put on this pedestal...

Well he helped create the most important, relevant album of Madonna's career. PERIOD.

I had and still have respect for him just as much as I do shep and bray and the rest...he was a relic of the late 90's and made a resurgence on an album in 2012...it just didn't work oh well... maybe Madonna never should have brought him on board...

Well he helped create the most important, relevant album of Madonna's career. PERIOD.

I don't think Madonna has ever singled out a single album or piece of work that is "the most important, relevant" of her career.

So that's YOUR opinion. Other people may disagree.

I don't think Madonna has ever singled out a single album or piece of work that is "the most important, relevant" of her career.

So that's YOUR opinion. Other people may disagree.

you can disagree, that okay. The point is Madonna's career and relevancy was already being questioned with side eye from a lot of people. Ray of Light was the best album at the best time. She was nervous too...ROL was experimental and courageous and opening the doors to a long lasting career....

Guest Pud Whacker

carta, cruncher and vogue :thumbsup:

i absolutely love Ray of Light but william orbit just bitched about MDNA because he wanted to be catapulted back up the way he was with ROL. fact.

and i love MDNA. masterpiece is one of my favorite madonna songs. i love i fucked up, love spent, turn up the radio, girl gone wild, beautiful killer, falling free, best friend!!! xoxoox

and carta - bang bang, to me is so much better than gang bang. the latter is a thief of hearts part 2. bang bang seemed more sophisticated and vulnerable to me.

Guest Pud Whacker

you can disagree, that okay. The point is Madonna's career and relevancy was already being questioned with side eye from a lot of people. Ray of Light was the best album at the best time. She was nervous too...ROL was experimental and courageous and opening the doors to a long lasting career....

ray of light is fabulous. its the beginning of madonna's second act. nobody would ever deny that.

At the risk of offending so many people here, but why do Madonna fans keep claiming that Ray of light is the most important relevant album of hers etc ? It may be some people's favourite but do people not know the impact of other albums such as Like a Virgin and Like a Prayer for example. Like a Virgin made Madonna a female pop superstar to the extent never seen before. True Blue was even more successful and Like a Prayer had some of the most iconic and loved songs in her history - adored by not only fans but the general public. Other albums of hers are also just as loved. Ray of light was wonderful but I don't think it is above and better than other albums of hers - and I am referring to albums before and after Ray of light.

William Orbit is not the reason Madonna has been successful and never has been. He is given far too much credit in the scheme of things in her career.

Guest Pud Whacker

At the risk of offending so many people here, but why do Madonna fans keep claiming that Ray of light is the most important relevant album of hers etc ? It may be some people's favourite but do people not know the impact of other albums such as Like a Virgin and Like a Prayer for example. Like a Virgin made Madonna a female pop superstar to the extent never seen before. True Blue was even more successful and Like a Prayer had some of the most iconic and loved songs in her history - adored by not only fans but the general public. Other albums of hers are also just as loved. Ray of light was wonderful but I don't think it is above and better than other albums of hers - and I am referring to albums before and after Ray of light.

William Orbit is not the reason Madonna has been successful and never has been. He is given far too much credit in the scheme of things in her career.

:clap:

tumblr_n7j7u0CFLw1qlycwjo1_400.gif

As Pud said, it is the perfect beginning of a 'second act' ... but everything else is still your opinion. It can be the best to you (that's perfectly fine)... but to make blanket statements that it is the best/most defining/most relevant of her entire career is simply subjective.

BOOM.

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

Well said, JazzyJan!! :thumbsup: To claim that ROL is the defining moment of Madonna's career is to deny the impact of so many of her albums (before and since).

I love various songs on ROL, but it's not one of my favourite albums (even though it's brilliant). I rarely listen to it, to be honest. I think the very best tracks were released as singles (and I love all of them), and since they regularly come up on shuffle when I listen to my "Madonna Singles: 1982-2012" playlist, I hear them often enough :) I repeat, though, I think it's a brilliant album, and I'm glad it finally earned her the critical acclaim that she'd been denied for so long.

Pud - "Masterpiece" is my favourite Madonna recording since "Hung Up". I absolutely love so many of the other songs that she's recorded since then, but there's something about it that gives it the edge over everything else. People seem to be very critical of it here, though. I also much prefer "Bang Bang" to "Gang Bang", but I know I'm definitely in the minority, since people seem to consider it a masterpiece (pardon the pun).

Madonna never, ever ceases to amaze me. She is the only artist who manages to strike a chord with me every single time she releases something. It's really just the degree of the "strike" that changes. Some argue that this means I'm easily pleased and very undiscerning (or a pathetic creature who fawns all over her and everything she does, even when it's "garbage", according to them), but rather than question why I like pretty much everything she commits to "tape", I just feel incredibly lucky that I do :)

Speaking of my "Singles" playlist, I've had it on while I've been working recently, so I've heard every one of her singles a few times over the past week or so. My God does the woman have an INCREDIBLE catalogue of singles!!! I love putting it on shuffle, because you never know which slice of pop perfection is going to delight you next :) It's kind of like not knowing which of your closest friends or family is going to surprise you and walk through the door next :) Slightly sad, I know, but listening to 30 years of Madonna singles is basically listening to the soundtrack of my life thus far.....and I like it :thumbsup:

Madonna has divided her career into before and after the SEX book. Ray of Light was a globally important album for her. Where Erotica was embraced overseas. Bedtime Stories did well in America. Ray of Light brought the foreign and the domestic together and Madonna received a commercial, cultural, and critical second wind. Without Ray of Light there is no Drowned World Tour. Ray of Light is not my favorite latter-day Madonna. But I can't deny its importance.

Ray of Light was her first album after turning 40...she had her run so there was no games there...she had to prove herself. and she did with arguably the her best album by most, if not all, 'best of Madonna' list. '

she was able to continue her reign after most pop stars from the 80's were long and gone.... ROL deserves the legacy it holds.

yeah, some people don't like it but some people also think Madonna stopped making songs in the 80s...some people think she's pas her prime and will never return to musical relevancy.

at the end of the day, Ray of Light will go down as one of the most important Era's of Madonna's career.

madonna's next "LAP" or "ROL" will happen if she paid attention to Lana Del Rey in my opinion

A suspension is in order! If Madonna paid attention to Lana Del Rabbies we would all be falling asleep to her next overhyped album. Yuck!

madonna's next "LAP" or "ROL" will happen if she paid attention to Lana Del Rey in my opinion

OMG, - The suggestion that Madonna needs to pay attention to Lana. :lmao: They are so different in every way.

John-McEnroe-You-Cannot-Be-Serious-MtGFD

Ray of Light was her first album after turning 40...she had her run so there was no games there...she had to prove herself. and she did with arguably the her best album by most, if not all, 'best of Madonna' list. '

she was able to continue her reign after most pop stars from the 80's were long and gone.... ROL deserves the legacy it holds.

yeah, some people don't like it but some people also think Madonna stopped making songs in the 80s...some people think she's pas her prime and will never return to musical relevancy.

at the end of the day, Ray of Light will go down as one of the most important Era's of Madonna's career.

Madonna was only 39 when ROL was released. I know it's only a few months, but facts are facts and should be accurate (unlike opinions, which can be whatever you want them to be :) ).

Its not Madonna fans who claimed that necessarily, its the media and music critics in general who normally single out LAP or ROL as the most important album. I disagree as well, but it seems to be a general consensus around those 2 albums. Obviously, they always give more credit to the producer than her, not just because they think he is a genius but because they just refuse to give M credit, it's always been like that. Also, keep in mind that ROL is one of the eras in which she gained a tremendous amount of popularity and newer fans (so called Ray of Lighters) so it's only natural that the people that got onboard on that album still consider it her best.

And where's our dear HolidayGuy to set you bitches straight on the ACCLAIM aspect?

ROL may have brought her respect from the industry, but it's LAP that more than often is her only album to make "Greatest" and "Best of" lists. Not that it matters, Madonna doesn't dwell on the past and prefers to move forward, so she probably doesn't give two fucks about critical acclaim and nostalgia.

She has such an expansive discography, everyone has a favourite album and era - that's the beauty of being a Madonna fan.

Guest Rachelle of London

WO has ALWAYS given M credit. He's never bad mouthed her as an artist but the man has the right to have an opinion. If Madonna doesn't have an issue with him, why should we?

Guest Pud Whacker

Pud - "Masterpiece" is my favourite Madonna recording since "Hung Up". I absolutely love so many of the other songs that she's recorded since then, but there's something about it that gives it the edge over everything else. People seem to be very critical of it here, though. I also much prefer "Bang Bang" to "Gang Bang", but I know I'm definitely in the minority, since people seem to consider it a masterpiece (pardon the pun).

:inlove:

Masterpiece has that brilliant singing voice. its my favorite song from MDNA and my favorite since Give It 2 Me. i can hear it on repeat and it puts me in a trance.

im totally with you on Bang Bang. xo

:inlove:

Masterpiece has that brilliant singing voice. its my favorite song from MDNA and my favorite since Give It 2 Me. i can hear it on repeat and it puts me in a trance.

Same! The second verse on Masterpiece is so incredibly affecting to me -

From the moment I first saw you

All the darkness turned to white

An Impressionistic painting

Tiny particles of light

:(