Whats the story behind this shoot?

DIRTY PIG

Its certainly one of her most inconic but I never knew much about it, where it was shot, was it intended for the BA tour etc..

just wondered.

tumblr_lft56cKEc51qfgkudo1_500.jpg

134701215750.jpeg

It's my fav photoshoot. It's daring and incredibly beautiful at the same time, so different to anything else, and she looked stunning.

Another photoshoot i love is the 1995 Versace one. I love the 2010 one with Met and Markus.

Oh, this woman has so many great photoshoots!

I first saw these in the Immaculate Collection booklet I think . By Herb Ritts .

I first saw these in the Immaculate Collection booklet I think . By Herb Ritts .

Oh yea, that's right. Wasn't the one with the ciggy in her mouth supposed to be the original IC album cover? Would have loved one of these pics as the cover picture even though the one they used became quite iconic, too.

shot late 1989 during the bat preparation

madonna-jean-paul-gaultier-book-03.jpg

rittsd.jpg

first seen on keep it together (january 1990)

KeepItTogether1989.PNG

then heavily used for blond ambition tour (april 1990)

Madonna+-+Blond+Ambition+Tour+Passes+-+T

interview and lui magazine (june 1990)

r94u8x.jpg2s14qvm.jpg

and finally the immaculate collection (november 1990)

qmyws9.jpg

Oh yea, that's right. Wasn't the one with the ciggy in her mouth supposed to be the original IC album cover? Would have loved one of these pics as the cover picture even though the one they used became quite iconic, too.

I don't remember that. Sorry. I just remembered that when I saw them for the first time I always wet myself with excitement while thinking " How will she top this !??? " but she did and still does.

It was originally released as the cover of Interview Magazine june or may 1990 issue and it caused a controversy. Some newstands in New York had the part where she grabs her crotch covered with yellow plastic wrap.

Interview magazine, Royal Box postcards!, IC, BAT, Keep It Together. I believe there's even a Rescue Me picture disc that uses it, though it may be a bootleg. One of my favorite photoshoots ever.

And yes, back in the day, the pic of her holding her crotch was quite a scandal. I remember a news segment about it and they interviewed this woman on the street. They were standing in front of a lampost that had the pic (advertisement for Interview Mag) pasted on it. The woman said it was disgusting / inappropriate. They were always bashing her in those days and this was before Erotica, of course. Months ago there was a thread to post your favorite M picture ever and I posted that one. It's hard to say which is truly a favorite when M has SO MANY glorious photos, but that crotch-grabbing one from Interview is my go-to answer for "favorite." Not because it's raunchy, bc frankly I don't think it is. She just looks so... awesome... in it. Even the outtakes are wonderful. There's not many faces who could pull that shoot off. M just has "the face" to wear whatever hairstyle, makeup, etc. She blends perfectly. I think this photo shoot is beautifully and tastefully done. What a body of work! :)

KeepItTogether1989.PNG

Still one of her best single covers. Wish I still had the BAT T-shirt that used this graphic. I wore the hell out of it!

oh i guess because that was supposed to be the look when she was on the BA tour aswell wasnt it

Yeah, she changed it when she realised the Brunette Ambition Tour didn't sound as good.

they hypocrisy of the 80s and 90s, when a man could grab his crotch all the time (Michael Jackson) but a woman doing that was a scandal. Ugh.

:chuckle::thumbsup:

and a closet case at that

That's what I thought too, but the back cover/TIC video cover makes more sense. I saved this from madonnacatalog.com decades ago - apparently 10 of these were made before she changed the album cover at the last minute. But now that I look at it, the logo was pasted on lol

265736icduratran.jpg

It was shot on 17 December 1989 in an old theatre in San Pedro that Herb Ritts had found - the shoot went from 11am until 10pm and it's Herb's favourite shoot - it was done originally for Interview magazine and then upcoming tour program - all this info is in Herb's book Notorious too